Water leaking into trailer around wheel wells?

We have been finding water on the floor of our m-22 by the door. And just last weekend I was cleaning under the sink and found a pool of water at the back of the cupboard where the floor is essentially the wheel well. There was at least 2 inches of water sitting in the dip of the molding around the wheels. The pipes are not leaking so I can only assume that the water is entering from the outside since we have had a huge amount of rain this year so far. Has anyone else seen this?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Kim, have you been towing in the rain?? Is the water dirty?? Does a M22 have a slide on that side?? We need that info to help you.

Wharton

I heard of this problem years ago. The person it was happening to put those foam knee pads(10"x15" or so) in the top of the wheel well(friction fit) and solved the problem. Don't remember any other details, this was years ago.

traveler44

You might check the seal around the sink. Sometimes the clamps don't hold the sink up and you need to add more clamps. You can tell by pushing down on the sink and spraying water around the top and checking for a new wet area under it. The sink drain flange seals on ours were just cardboard so I replaced them with rubber ones-- I think they were installed wrong anyway. We keep frying pans under the sink so I find out right away if there is a drip. Tom M.

Hello all.

Have towed in the rain a few times and the water is dirty under the sink compartment that is pooling on the inside of the wheel well. The clamps on the pipes under the sink have all been tightened and are not leaking. There is a slide and it is on the other side, dinette side. I have yet to crawl under the slide and check the other wheel well interior to see if water is in there too.

Are foam knee pads a specialty item or do you mean pads that would actually go on my knees but are being used for a fix?

Bob&Patty

Kim, if the water is dirty and maybe gritty. It's being thrown up by the tires when driving in the rain. Someone needs to get under the coach and look for any place water can leak up into the coach. Just spraying some water at it may not show you the leak. You need to test it with a nozzle on a hose that will act like a 60MPH drive in rain. A real heavy spray but not a steady stream. You know ...when the nozzle is turned all the way to blast something. Hard to explain in type. Check all the caulking...they might have missed a spot at the factory. Water intrusion can be tough to find. You could get a small flower watering can, tilt the trailer to the kitchen side, have some old towels handy and slowly pour water in that area. Have someone under the coach with a flash lite and see if can see where it is coming from.

No, they are foam seals that go in the corners of the slides to seal them from water intrusion while driving in the rain.

camr

Kim, try this. During the day, close all the window shades to darken the inside of the trailer. I'll bet that if you open the cupboard below the sink you will be able to see any sunlight coming through openings by the wheel well. The shades on the Edge windows are great at making the inside of the trailer dark.
Best of luck.
Cam

Bob&Patty

Kim, camr, is right. Forgot to mention that diagnoses. You can even wait until its dark and do it. No lites in the trailer and shine a lite up from the outside will do the same thing. I would do it on both sides.

JeffN

I have another thread started (in General Discussions) that outlines the problem and the solution.. in a nutshell you have to remove the exterior trim around the wheels (about 10 screws and apply a good quality RV caulk where the exterior wall meets the wheel well tub flange. the way it's designed .. water hits the exterior wall.. flows down to this wheel well flange (which acts like a gutter) . .. water then runs down and into the low point on the inside of the wheel wells (one under the kitchen cabinent) the other less visible if your unit has a slideout. once the water level gets high enough the water cascades onto the interior floor. Caulking should fix the problem.

JeffN

PS... the other thread is titled "Be Sure and Inpspect those wheel well tubs after a rain".. hope this helps !

Yellowreef

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...s-after-a-rain?p=175441&highlight=#post175441

This is the thread mentioned.

JeffN

I local RV dealer started carrying Heartland products. They have two Edges sitting on their lot. I took a few minutes to inspect the new ones and it looks like they are now coming out of the factory with caulking where the wheel well tub meets the exterior wall as well as caulking where the decorative plastic wheel well trim meets the exterior wall. I know ours (2011 M22) had no caulk around either of these two areas. I guess you could look at it as a design flaw (wheel well tub flange extending over and not under the exterior skin) or an assembly line flaw (no caulk on many units as evidenced by this thread).

Caulked between the decorative wheel trim and the outside of the trailer a few weeks ago and the problem is solved. We have driven and camped in fairly heavy rains and there has been no more water sneaking into the trailer! :)

Zeman

Did the same to my leaking wheels wells a couple of weeks ago. With some of the gaps I filled it is hard to believe NO ONE in the assembly process/line recognized a potential leak source..........

New M-22 owners here on our shakedown cruise. Picked a rather challenging weekend weatherwise (on the oceanfront with significant wind / rain event going on as this is being typed.) Will definitely be on the lookout for water intrusion via the wheel well locations. Also will stock up on some good caulk in order to get some preventive measures underway when we return home. So far, the unit has been functioning with better than expected results. The dogs have aclimated with no issues. In fact, they are clamoring to walk on the beach again. I don't see that happening today.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Scott. This is a great place to share information about our rigs. I see you have already found some useful information.
It' good to hear that your new rig has exceeded your expectations. Checking for leaks and caulk inspection is something that should be part of your regular routine. I crawl around and feel for leaks every time it rains. Trying to stay pro active.
Have fun with your new Edge.

Peace
Dave

Hi Dave,
Thank you for the reply. My dad (an RVer for many years now) gave me some sound advice as well: "Take every thing you think you will NEVER need as far as general repair is concerned, because as soon as you are 1 mile past the point of no return, you will find that you need whatever it is that you didn't pack or plan for......"; thus far on this shakedown cruise we are not wanting for too much in that sense. Breaking camp tomorrow mid morning and heading back home. Already looking forward to our next outing.