Help! Looking for an Axle/Spring Repairer in or near Goshen, IN.

DW_Gray

I received confirmation this morning by Lippert that they will not provide extended warranty service for my Cyclone and will not recommend a repairer near by.

Do you know of any competent repairers in the area that specialize in the area of springs and axles.

I must get the problem with the Cyclone fixed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 28, 2011

Yahooooooo! Lippert installed the new hydraulic landing gear and it works great. Also Lippert replaced all 3 axles and springs with the 7000 pound models and included the self adjusting brakes. I also had them install the springs in the lowest hole so the RV would be higher off the ground and travel more level with my truck and 5th wheel.

While there, I decided to lower my 5th wheel height by one inch. I'm glad I did. During the adjustment, I noticed a broken weld on the B&W Companion base. Lippert fixed it for me right then and there.

I'm a happy camper. The staff and technicians worked hard all day and finished about 6:45 P.M.

Thank you Lippert!

Last edited:

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Dave...have you contacted Heartland Customer Service...they may be able to direct you to a competent repair facility..

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dave, yea what happened?? Are you Goshen right now? There has to be a spring/axle shop in Goshen. Doesn't Lippert have a repair shop?? What about the HL RV dealer by the HL plant. Call HL service and ask them for a referal or call JB.

DW_Gray

Thanks for your comments. I did get a call from Michael at Heartland while traveling in NE. I'm in North Platte, NE for the night. It's a long story but I've had continuous tire problems and it is related to the springs being flat on the ODS. It's so bad you can see the RV leaning on that side. I even positioned the Smart car in the garage mostly on the door side and that didn't make a difference. One axle was replaced after I bought the Cyclone. Yet I've had three tires go bad in the same position. I purchased 3 new tires this morning and they were installed as well as my new spare. I'm bringing three of the bad tires for the repairer to see.

Michael did give me a good place to contact for the repairs. Lippert could do the repair at my expense, but they will not work with the extended warranty company, Easy Care. Again, there is another story about Easy Care. I'm beginning to wonder if that was a bad investment.

I didn't buy the best tires for now and settled for Carlisle till I can get the problem solved.

Amy and I will be in Goshen on Monday.

rustyshakelford

Can you upgrade to heavier axles at the goshen rally. The promo price I saw looked really good. Upgrading the axles would include new springs right? 7k or 8k would be a great upgrade.

Brett

DW_Gray

Can you upgrade to heavier axles at the goshen rally. The promo price I saw looked really good. Upgrading the axles would include new springs right? 7k or 8k would be a great upgrade.

Brett

Anything I do will depend on if the warranty adjuster will approve any replacement or upgrade. From my experience last year you have to have a competent repairer that can show undeniable proof as to why the springs or axles must be replaced. I was denighed that last year because the RV repairer knew nothing about it. My mistake that time. As for upgrading axle and springs to heavier weights, I don't know. The experts should make that decision. I won't.

Another thing, it will be if all else has failed before any money comes out of my pocket.

Last edited:

DW_Gray

There is a ray of hope. I got a phone call today and it appears that the problems will be evaluated and fixed with little or no cost to me. Stay tuned. It will be after the rally before I know for sure what will be done. :D

traveler44

What size tires are you replacing? I've got a set of 16" that are off the B.H. that you can have if you need some spares to get you down the road. I repaced the Missions and one Carlisle with the G614s. Let me know and I can bring them to the rally. Tom M.

DW_Gray

What size tires are you replacing? I've got a set of 16" that are off the B.H. that you can have if you need some spares to get you down the road. I repaced the Missions and one Carlisle with the G614s. Let me know and I can bring them to the rally. Tom M.

Thank you for the offer. I have ST235/80R16. I'll gladly take two or three. I still have two Missions on one side with a fair amount of tread. The rest are new. My spare is one of the Missions but low on tread.

DW_Gray

A couple of Lippert techs came a few days ago see my axles and springs here at the Rally. They are going to do something on the 28th of June during my appointment to install the hydraulic landing gear and self adjusting brakes.

Thank you Tom for the tires.

I have a 2009 Bighorn 3055,fifthwheel. I took it into Camping World for some work on my satellite system.They conducted a routine check.That showed my springs and axles were bent . Now I need new springs axles and shocks,plus tires. The extended warranty people won't cover anything,because the axles bent. The dealer where I bought it don't seem too interested either.
Why are the 2 axles rated at 6000lbs.each,when the trailer is rated over 14,000lbs?

jimtoo

I have a 2009 Bighorn 3055,fifthwheel. I took it into Camping World for some work on my satellite system.They conducted a routine check.That showed my springs and axles were bent . Now I need new springs axles and shocks,plus tires. The extended warranty people won't cover anything,because the axles bent. The dealer where I bought it don't seem too interested either.
Why are the 2 axles rated at 6000lbs.each,when the trailer is rated over 14,000lbs?

Hi langleyger,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I guess I have to ask, "routine inspection",,, never heard of one for free. Did you ask for it or is it something they are trying to sell you? Have you had tire problems, are the springs broken and how do you know the axles are bent?? All axles have a bow to them for the alignment. You have a 2009 model,,, did you buy it new and how many miles have you pulled it? It sounds kinda funny that you have not had a problem before and now you have a lot.

The two axles will carry 12K,,,, the rest is on your hitch and truck,,, and yes,,, you will have about 2500# or more on the hitch... I have one, so I know.

Please let us know the answers.

Jim M

jnbhobe

I don't trust much of anything I see hear or buy from Camping World, They are way overpriced. JMO

lwmcguir

You can have the axles straightened but sounds like you might as well go for a 7K assembly. 2X6000+PIN is the way it is calculated.

GOTTOYS

How do you know they are bent? Are the tires wearing unevenly? That is a sign of misalignment. If they are bent they can easily be bent into alignment without replacement. That is how all the heavy-duty alignment shops do it. Did they actually measure it or did they just look at it? I would for sure get a second opinion from a quality truck alignment shop. Sounds to me like it could be Bull....Don

caissiel

To see tire wear you just look at the threads when stopping after a faily long drive. The threads that are the darkest will indicate hotter rubber and thus showing wear.

I have been doing this on my vehicles for the last 40 years and aligned them when required. I have been in an alignment shop once with my 1st car and the technician was my friend and he showed me where and what to look for. And most car and truck I owned for over 10 years.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Get a second opinion. As asked before....are your tires wearing funny?? If not..then why worry. I dont think much of CW's techs.

caissiel

I once met a guy that showed an RVer how to drive his TV in order not to hurt the transmission, and was fired from the GM dealership because the maintenance writer had instructed him to replace the transmission. So beware of scams to create work.