50 AMP cord storage

micar

Looking for storage ideas for the 50 amp shore power cord.....Can't seem to find a good and convenient spot for mine and the thing weighs a tonne!!!!Ideas of where to put it and any pics would be much appreciated.
Mike

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I just hand roll it, wiping the sand off as I go, and stand it against the basement wall. Then stick my water filter tote or something else in front of it so it stays there. Or if I'm lazy, I'll just lay it on the floor and put the tote on top of it. Won't hurt it.

But, if you really want to be a contortionist, try hanging it in the front compartment from the hook in there. That will get you some creative expletives when a coil slips off and around your neck. Sorta like playing Tarzan with a giant snake. Ungawa!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I have hung it on the hook in the front compartment. But most of the time...unless we are going to stay without it hooked to the coach...I put in the bed of the TV. Trust me...it wont blow out. My reasoning for all this is...the Horn is hooked up to 120V at home all the time.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Be careful leaving that in the bed of your truck. Another Bighorn owner did that and it was stolen. They are pretty expensive and poachers wnat it for the copper more than anything else.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When traveling we put it in the bed of the truck. We don't leave the truck unattended though. When home we are hooked up to 120v. We have just stuffed it in the basement sometimes. I guess you could put it in a plastic container and then put the container in the basement. Some luck folks have the built in auto rollup storage thingys.

brianharrison

Previous units I would store the 50 amp cord at home and use a pigtail 30 to 50 amp adapter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B002CZ7D60/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=286168&s=garden). It has the NEMA SS2-50R connection to insert into the wall socket on the outside of my old trailers.

Rarely would I need the full 50 amp split service loads (no washer and dryer or 2nd AC unit in my old units).

A 30 amp cord is easier to manipulate and store.

My thoughts.

Take care,
Brian

HappyKayakers

My 50 amp cord is always the last thing unhooked and the first thing hooked up when I move. I just roll it up as best I can and put it on the floor at the entrance door. It's easy to get at and I don't need to rearrange anything in storage for something that's never stored except when underway.

jnbhobe

Mine is hanging in the front where it was when I bought it. Too heavy to move around when all I need is a 30 amp cord.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim, you do as we do. I didn't mean I leave in the bed of the truck alone in parking lots. I meant to say...if we are traveling and do not intend on using it for a few days. It does get locked up in the Horn or the TV. Had the same one 4 years now. Now I jinxed myself.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I too use a 30 amp with an adapter very seldom do I use the 50 amp cord

jpajax

I have seen people use a 5 gal. bucket that a way you have a handle to carry it with and if it is wet it doesn't get all over every thing. You can roll the cord up around the inside edge of bucket.

JohnDar

I have seen people use a 5 gal. bucket that a way you have a handle to carry it with and if it is wet it doesn't get all over every thing. You can roll the cord up around the inside edge of bucket.

That's an idea.

BHEWITTJR

I like the bucket idea, I'll have to give that a try. Untill then I have all my power cords 50,30, and a regular 25' 110 volt extension cord hanging from the hook in the front compartment

JohnDar

I've still got a 30A hanging in the front, but use the 50A since it's got the Marinco fitting. An Marinco adapter for the 30A is not cheap, so I'll just keep eating my Wheaties and using it. I do have the adapter to tie the 30A to the male end of the 50A, though.

I'm still looking for more places to put hooks and hang things. Into the third season, and my rig is still a work in progress.

rebootsemi

I'd like to see somebody coil up my 50 amp cord in a plastic 5 gal bucket if the temp is under 70 degrees, I'll set up the chairs and even bring the beer to watch this happen. I took some flat bar and made hooks and mounted them in the front storage, coil the cord over the hooks. Usually when we are on the road I just lock it in the back of the TV.

jpajax

I have the electric reel on my unit love it but that would take the fun out of Lee's life. I also moved the hook from the front bay to the basment door next to the control center were the water and cable hookup is.PICT0996.jpg