ATF: Edge - Replacing the Queen bed

Hodge-M22

My wife and I are really partial to foam mattresses and we are thinking of replacing the current mattresses in our Edge 22 with a new queen mattress. Now it is really hard to find a foam short queen that we can actually lay on to see what we think of it. And unfortunately most places use the excuse that once you buy it they can not take it back because of the potential for bed bugs. So we are being asked to buy a short queen sight unseen and untested.

Now a full queen is 5" longer than a short queen. I measured in the Edge M22 and it would seem that the normal queen would fit and leave a space of about 1" for the retracting of the slide-out. So it would seem that all I would need to do is extend the bed platform to support the longer bed (this part I am not worried about).

Would there be any reason to not get a normal queen? Basically what was the decision to go with the short queen vs. a normal queen? Is there a design issue I'm overlooking?

PhotoPete

I can see two things right off the bat. The smaller queen is lighter. They say they are doing everything to keep it light. the real issue might be that with that 1 inch to spare, by the time you get bedding on the mattress it might be too long and the slide would catch it. Just a couple quick thoughts, may be of no value but i have been accused of that a lot. Im good with it.

PhotoPete

Hodge-M22

Thanks PhotoPete,

I'm not to worried about the weight, and I think the foam bed might even be the same or lighter than the current mattress with its metal coils. Fortunately the switch for the side-out and the bed are right by each other so I can easily monitor the side-out as it is coming in. But those were two good considerations.

camr

Hello Ty,
Here is an option. In most larger cities there will be a mattress manufacturer that custom builds. This type of company is commonly used to build odd sized mattresses for sleeper cabs in semi-trailer tractors. Perhaps check with a couple of local truck dealerships to find one that is used in your area. We have one in Winnipeg (thus my logic for saying you should find one in most large cities) that builds not only this type of mattress, but any size and type of mattress. We had them build a memory foam mattress for our house, and it has been one of the best we have ever purchased. It is an ethnic business, so you can not only watch them build mattresses, but you can play the game of "Spot the Caucasian" while you are shopping. :)
Cam

PhotoPete

Funny, but a good idea none the less. I think we have such a shop in our area. the only problem is that this is such a white bread community that we cant play the game!

JanRooks

Don't replace the queen mattress, just add extra foam at the front and let it hang over the end of the board. We added a 2 inch thick memory foam topper to our short queen mattres and used 3 swimming pool noodles tied togather to be the spacer at the front of the bed. We have put in 3 trips since. J. Rooks