A/C Question

srae

We are getting ready to go on a trip in the HOT part of the year, in Texas anyway, and for a few days will be staying where we have only 30 amp service. Just wondering if both A/Cs can run and you just have to be careful of other usage, or if only one at a time can be run on the 30 amp service.

Any advice would be appreicated,

srae

pegmikef

Gee I don't know. I think I read somewhere that on the fifty amp service is that they split it and one side runs some of the stuff and the other side runs the other stuff. The folks that have two a/c units will probably tell you for sure.

brianharrison

You will be using a 30 to 50 amp adapter that "ties" both hots together, you can run both ACs in your unit even though they are on opposite sides of your RV AC circuit panel - two ACs on a 30 amp will be tight and you may find you trip the campground power pedestal breaker fairly regularily if the service (ie campground supply) is weak (ie voltage drop with increasing loads). If the campground has a good 30 amp service you may not see any issues. I would not run the microwave with both Air Conditioners running. Also run your hot water heater on propane (not element heating)

If you trip the pedestal breaker, leave the air conditioner off for a couple of minutes from the time of the trip to allow the compressor to unload (ie refridgerant to equalize from high pressure to low pressure in the system). This reduces the inrush current for starting them back up.

Hope this helps,
Brian

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I believe I was told you can only run one AC on 30 amp. Never tried alternatives, like above.

SmokeyBare

I would do what ever I could to be on 50 Amp... but if that won't be possible I would make sure to Always run the Fridge and the Hot Water Heater on GAS. Avoid using the Microwave when the A/C is running. You can turn the "FAN" selector to "ON" and turn off the A/C switch while the Microwave is running, once the microwave is done, turn on the A/C switch once again. Many run the fan in the "ON" position always... which would move all of the cooled air out of the duct system. The A/C will continue to cycle on and off as the thermostat calls for cool.

Things like a coffee pot, toaster, hair dryer... items that make HEAT... pull the electric power. By restricting those it A/C will have as much power as possible.

Marv

Birchwood

An A/C draws 12 to 14 amps and if you are in a row of Rv's that all have their A/c running
you will have problems.Just run one at a time and you will be ok.You also have the option of operating
your fiidge and water heater on propane.
Personally I would want both A/C running full in Texas summer weather but you will require 50 amp.
I also heard you could damage your appliances if the current is low or cycling.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We live in Texas and when we are on 30 amp we only run the living room AC during the day and the bedroom AC during the night. It has been our experience most campground breakers will trip if using both ACs on 30 amp.