What are the advantages of a Weight Dist Hitch for the MPG?

marc515

We picked up our MPG-181 this weekend, and are not sure if we really need a WDH.

The MPG-181 is 19' long, and has a loaded a GVWR of 3,800 Lbs, but don't think we'll get that heavy.

Our TV is a 2011 Nissan Pathfinder with a V6, which has a tow capacity of 6,000 Lbs. Nissan recommends a WDH for towing over 5,000 Lbs.

When we picked up the 181, it was basically empty with the weight somewhere in the range of 2,900 Lbs.

I measured the TV before and after we hooked up the 181, and the rear end dropped 1-1/2", and the front end raised 1/2". I imagine those numbers will increase slightly when I load up the 181, and the back of the Pathfinder with extra stuff.

The 130 mile ride home was pretty comfortable with the simple riser and ball, and I did not notice excessive sway except there was some when a tractor trailer or large bus passed, but it was not uncontrollable. The riser was not the correct one and the tongue of the 181 was about 1" to 2" lower than it should have been.

So, I was wondering if I could get by with a simple sway control bar, or do I really need something like an "E2" or "Equalizer" WDH installed.

What advantages and improvements I will see with a WDH?

Thank you in advance for the insight!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The weight of the trailer is one thing, but what is the tongue weight and the tongue weight rating for your TV? If the trailer tongue weight is less than the rating on your vehicle, you're probably OK without a WDH. Hitching the trailer level (the riser?) will also change how much your front and rear sit and rise. A properly set up WDH will insure you ride level and the weight is distributed to the front and rear axles. A sway control bar will help with large passing vehicles and side winds.

pegmikef

There's another recent thread devoted to this. I'll see if I can find it. This has a pretty thorough discussion about the use of weight distribution hitches.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...oans-and-noise?p=180675&highlight=#post180675

Last edited:

pegmikef

Here's the thread I originally intended to show you. It concerns exactly the same question and contains good explanations of the pros and cons of using a WDH. I personally would not think of not using one for towing a TT.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...HD-for-the-MPG?p=177243&highlight=#post177243

Yellowreef

See my answer in the above linked thread. If your concern is sway, get a sway bar. If your tv sags too much then get a WDH. No need to spend good money on a good WDH just for sway. Get a ball mount with the propper rise and give it a test run, if the front isn't rising to an unnacceptable level then that's that. WDH isn't a "must have" regardless of any factors, it is a tool used to obtain a level attitude. You can't fix what isn't broken.

Peteandsharon

Personally, I am having a hard time seeing an argument against using the WDH. I've pulled a couple TT's for years. Always used a WDH. Granted, both of them were heavier than yours but so were my tow vehicles. The purpose is to level the load and distribute the weight evenly front to back. Even if you could get away without using a WDH....... why chance it? Doesn't it make sense to carry your load as efficiently and safely as possible? JMHO.

Pete

I tow my MPG 183 with a Jeep Grand Cherokee using just a regular hitch with a sway control added. I originally opted for a WDH but the guy at the hitch store talked me out of it since I was only concerned with sway control. I recently got back from a long trip and everything went great. I'm with Yellowreef when he said why get a WDH if you don't have weight problems, just buy what you need.

PhotoPete

just my two cents, but if you combine the weight distributing and sway control into one unit, you kill two birds with one stone and that if nothing else offers you a margin of safety and security going down the road. I think vehicle safety and stability are paramount, way more important to me than the several hundred in expense. It does make a big difference in tow-ability with a good system in place.

Manzan

I don't know what the tongue weight of the MPG is but does not take a lot of weight to affect steering in wet or icy conditions. You don't need the front end sliding around. And if you tow at night, on coming traffic will appreciate it if your rig is level.

camr

I agree 10 thousand percent with Photopete. We have used a Reese Sway control hitch with our Edge, and it has taken care of every hitch concern that I could ever have. We do most of our travel on two lane roads, and have absolutely no sway issues whatsoever. We have enough issues to worry about, like tires, water leaks, etc, and trailer sway is one less problem to have.

Yellowreef

I understand wanting to have peace of mind. However, how would you know that you have been sway free because of the WDH if you didn't test it without? I can truly say I have been sway-free over long and short hauls, freeway, mountains, desert, ect. and do not have a WDH. Then again, my M18 only has a tongue weight of ~280 lbs and it is extremely well distributed and stable having the double axle on a short body. I am not an advocate against WDH, most people DO need one. I merely advocate getting equipment because you need it after doing the math, not because you blindly have been told the world will end without one. If you do the math and don't need it, then getting one is unnecesary in my humble opinion.

PhotoPete

Yellowreef, I agree with you. One should do the research. The OP is starting that process by asking us. Naturally he will come to his own conclusions. As for me anyway, I have done with and without tests over varied conditions and speeds. There was a noticeable difference when I used the duo cam system. Now in fairness I haven't tried it yet with the new tow vehicle but with the last 4 tow vehicles from ridge line to 2500 suburbans, the rig towed better with wdh/swayPete

Tumblebug

The tongue weight is listed at 330 lbs assume with empty propane tanks and no battery, I have a MPG 183 with two batteries. The trailer pulled OK without a WDH but it felt just a little squishy in the back. I added a good WDH and it really made it pull correctly. no wiggle, no movement, like it is one unit. Would't leave home without it. I have a 2009 GMC 1500 with tow package. You can pull as fast as you want with everything under control.