Anyone use the MPG Rear Hitch?

marc515

I notice the MPG has a Class 2 hitch under the bumper, and am wondering if any of you guys have used it for a bike rack, etc?

What is the weight limit of what you can attach?

I was reading on the E2 instructions that you should not attach anything to the rear of a trailer; Concern is the added weight in the rear could cause too light a tongue weight, and cause excessive sway/other handling problems.

Thank you

marc515

Wow, am I the only one planning to use this hitch? We plan to attach our bicycle hitch to it.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I am not familiar with the MPG. Are you saying you have a receiver on the back of the trailer from the factory and the instructions for the trailer tell you not to use it???:confused:

marc515

The MPG ha a 1-1/2" receiver installed under the rear bumper to accomodate a bike rack; I'm just not sure of the weight limit. Heartland has given 2 different numbers- 110Lbs & 150Lbs.

I was reading on the E2 WDH instructions, nd they indicate that you should not attach anything to the rear of a trailer; Concern is the added weight in the rear could cause too light a tongue weight, and cause excessive sway/other handling problems.

But I'm planning to attach our bike rack with 2 bikes, and was just wondering if anyone else has done the same.

kb0zke

We've thought about taking a couple of bikes along, too, and that was one of the reasons we chose the mpg. Yes, any weight you add behind the axle will lighten the tongue. That may be why there is a weight limit for the receiver. Since there are two different weight limits given, I'd use the lower of the two, since that will help keep you in proper balance. The question then becomes one of totaling the weight of the two bikes, the bike rack, and any lock you put on. If that total is less than 110 pounds, you should be fine. I wouldn't guess on the weights, either. Take the bathroom scales out to the garage and weigh everything.

mtran868

i have made several 25 mile trips to the lake with my 3 man jetski attached to the MPG. Haven't had any issues yet.