ATF: MPG - Replacement Bulbs for 185 Porch Light

Millerm

Hi Everyone,
New MPG 185 owner here.
The second time using my MPG, the porch light went out.
My trailer is parked about 20 miles away from home for the summer.
I didn't have any tools or an electrical tester with me.
The bulb filament still looked good.

I'll be heading up to my trailer in a few weeks (this time with tools and a tester). Hopefully, it's the bulb and not the fixture or wiring.

What type of bulb is in the porch light? 12v single contact? double contact? help!

Any help appreciated!

jimtoo

Hi Millerm,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I can't help you with the type of bulb, but someone will be on soon to give you the information you need.

Meanwhile enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Call HL service and ask them. It might 3-4 days befor someone from the factory gets back to you. I think it is a single contact bulb. Maybe a 189. You might have a bad connection at the switch or in the lamp housing. Remove the switch and check both sides of the switch for power with a 12V test lite. One side is hot all the time and the other side is hot with the switch on. Then remove the lamp lens and check for power there. Use the outside case of the bulb socket as ground and and touch the point on the test lite to the center of the socket. If the test lite lites then you have a bad bulb. If not, you might have a bad ground in the lamp itself. If the the lamp ground is the issue...then you will need a new lamp assembly. JMHO

kb0zke

Another test is to pull the bulb out, set the meter to ohms, and touch the probes to the two contacts on the bulb. If you get a reading of close to zero the bulb is good.

M

Mcreech

Here is what my plany manage told me...its a #1156 single element buld and any auto parts store should have it....Thanks MikeC