Frig won't work on propane

Mike & Carol

Ok....so we are getting ready for tuesdays trip to Goshen Rally....Frig works great on electric, switch to gas and its sounds like its trying to start...clicking sound(much like the electronic spark for the cooktop)for 45 seconds then nothing. Plenty of gas...cooktop fires up nicely...Read about possibility of air in line....retried more than 10 times. Frig reads LP (flashing),did I mention plenty of gas.:confused: This is a 2011 Landmark GC (only out once before...did not try frig on propane then)Has the double stainless frig w/ice maker.
Any thoughts....would appreciate any help,

Mike

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When the refer flashes LP, sometimes it is helpful to turn the unit off then back on. Kinda resetting it.
Seems that if it doesn't fire on the first few attempts it will shut the gas valve down.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Check the burner tube. The most common cause of 'misfires' is debris in the burner tube such as spider webs, dirt dauber nests, or other insects. Clean out the burner tube and retry. It could also be low propane pressure caused by a bad regulator or defective supply hose. One time on a SOB we had there was air in the propane supply line. I disconnected the supply line after turning off the propane at the tank, opened the supply line at the rear of the refrigerator, turned on the supply line for a couple of seconds, and then closed the supply, reattached the supply line. Then went inside and turned on the range burner and let then burn for a minute or two to help purge the air. Turned off the range burners and then turn on the gas for the refrigerator. BTW this is really not the safest way to do it. Most of the time you can purge air out of the line by just letting the range burners burn for a couple of minutes.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
One other possibility is the gas valve shut off at the refrigerator connection. It is a small slotted valve about 5/16" in diameter and if you don't know it's there, you wouldn't think of it as a valve. It's actually a part of the gas valve body. Hope this helps. The slot on the valve needs to be in the direction of flow.

Retyred

Mike:
I have had the same problem with my fridge every time it comes out of storage, I used it 12 days ago and today when I went to light it today it would not light.
The problem appears to be corrosion of some kind on the ignition prongs. As in the past I wiped them with my finger then started the fridge and it worked as normal.
By removing the burner cover (1 Screw) you can get to the burner just above it are the ingition prongs that produces the spark. If you do attempt to do this yourself make sure you replace any covers.
Hope to see you at the rally.
Martin
site 437

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
Similar problem would not work on propane. However I had ignition and a brief flame. Removed shrouds and took out propane nozzle found small piece of debris behind orifice blew out with compressed air works fine now.