Extra step on outside/Fresh water tank and pump

First I want to say how much I enjoy reading the posts, there certainly is some good information in here!

I actually have two questions--we have a 2011 M21 and I was wondering if anyone has ever thought about replacing the single manual step with a double one? My wife has problems sometimes stepping all the way up to the step due to health issues, and I was wondering if this was a viable option instead of having to lug a little step-stool around. From what I've seen the dimensions (width) look to be about the same, and the one I saw on the Camping World website looked like it would mount okay.

For my second one, what's the trick with the fresh water tank/pump? I tried to use it recently on a camping trip, and while the light for the pump would come on, I couldn't get any water out (yes, I put water in the tank). I called the dealer and he said that when they winterized it before delivery they probably turned on some kind of bypass by the hot water heater or something like that. Any ideas?

Again, thanks for all the good information.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
socrates50, regarding the step, the biggest thing is proper fit and clearance for mounting it. Most of them are welded in some way.

Water Pump? I'm not sure on your rig but mine has a valve in between the fresh water tank and the pump inlet. When you try to operate the pump can you hear it running? If not, you may have a fuse issue.

The bypass for the hot water heater should not affect the ability to get water. That said, make sure your heater is NOT in the bypass mode before using it. Make sure you have water in the heater. If your water heater is both electric and/or LP, damage can occur if you use it on electric and it's empty.

hoefler

Can't help you on the step, but on the water issue, look for a valve that switches between city and tank water. The water heater bypass would have no affect if you don't have any water from the cold or hot faucets.

camr

First step would be to determine if the pump is running. You should be able to hear it. In our M-22 it is slightly quieter than a jet engine. (Some day I will get around to isolating the pump mount and lines, but for now I "yoos vant to go camping". If you hear the pump running, but have no water, verify that you do have water in the tank. Shimmy under the trailer and open the tank drain to make sure that water runs out. I would make sure that the tank is at least 1/3 full. If you are sure you have water in the tank, and can hear the pump run, then open the access to the pump. On our M-22 it is under the bed. (The best place for the one item in the trailer that makes the most noise!!!) There could possibly be a valve and short "winterizing" hose that is used to introduce antifreeze into the system. The valve switches the pump intake from the tank or the short hose. If that is present, make sure that the valve is set to draw from the tank. If everything seems fine, pump running, water in the tank, but no water, then I would take the small winterizing hose and put it into a bottle of water, switch the valve to draw from the small hose and run the pump again. If the pump runs, but still doesn't pressurize the system, then the pump is shot. If it pulls water from the winterizing hose, but not the tank, then the intake line from the main tank may be disconnected, kinked, or set at an incorrect level to draw from the tank. Hope this helps.
Cam

Thanks to you all of you for your insight/advice. Unfortunately I cannot find the "valve" that switches between city and fresh water, I can't even find the access for the pump (I have a feeling it's in the cabinet beside the bed). I guess I'll call the factory and see if they can give me any directions as to where the valve is.

As for the step, I guess it will involve some experimentation (like buy one and see if it works, if not take it back).

Thanks again.

I called the dealer and he said that when they winterized it before delivery they probably turned on some kind of bypass by the hot water heater or something like that. Any ideas?

I would suspect your fresh water tank valve is closed due to the winterizing. Once you find the pump, you'll want to open the valve for the fresh water tank and run all the taps (hot and cold, inside and out) until they run clear. Then and ONLY then un-bypass the hot water heater and let the pump fill that up. I would suspect your system is filled with antifreeze, and that's the pink stuff coming out of the taps. Oh- and don't panic if it sounds like the opening scene to "Saving Private Ryan" when it starts up. It'll quieten down a little once the pump is primed.

Last edited:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thanks to you all of you for your insight/advice. Unfortunately I cannot find the "valve" that switches between city and fresh water, I can't even find the access for the pump (I have a feeling it's in the cabinet beside the bed). I guess I'll call the factory and see if they can give me any directions as to where the valve is.

As for the step, I guess it will involve some experimentation (like buy one and see if it works, if not take it back).

Thanks again.
There should be a single 2 way ball valve @ the inlet of your pump. One port of the valve should have a lenght of hose
connected to it for filling the system with antifreeze. Also one port should have a hose leading to your fresh water tank. Turning the valve 90 degrees should allow fresh water to your pump. (fill the fresh water tank over half way to start.) Try locating your pump with your ear.

pegmikef

The pump is under the front left corner of the bed. When you access the storage under the mattress, the blocked off section on the left contains the pump (at least that's where it was on my 2011 Edge M21 that I bought in April 2010). I seem to remember that there are a few screws that hold the lid on. On the step, I always carry a custom made box that doubles as storage for outside stuff (tent pegs, rope, etc.). It is last in the door upon departure and first out upon arrival. I stayed in a few places where a second step would have been too low.

Jimmie-Kay

Yes, the double step will work. Just measure the width of your current step and get the same width in the double step and it will bolt right on. We had the same issue having to take along a separate step stool. We love the double step.

I am not sure what you mean by double step. I believe you mean the 4 steps to enter the unit. I had my dealer remove the normal three steps and replace with 4 steps. I love the 4 step entry. My wife had trouble with the bottom step being too high and now it is perfect for her. The 4 steps bolted right into where the three step was with no modification.

Jimmie-Kay

Our Edge M21 had only 1 step that was pretty high, we replaced with the 2 step from Camping World and it bolted up with no problem. I'm thinking you must have some other Heartland Camper if it came with 3 steps and you replaced it with 4 steps. Can't imagine even 3 steps on the Edge.