New 3012RE Super Dinette table question

fishn2dmax

I've called four Sundance dealers in three states and none of them know the answer to a question we have on the New 3012RE floorplan.

From the pictures we've received of the 3012RE U shaped 6 person booth dinette, it appears the table top and the support poles would have to be removed before sliding in the slide? One of the poles is attached to the main floor and the other two to the slide floor. If this is the case, it appears a simple forgetful act could cause a lot of damage? Are we seeing this wrong? Can we order a free standing table for the U shaped booth?

We would like to order the 3012RE, but we wanted to get some clarification on the booth table legs.

Thanks,

Gordon

Scott

That is correct, there are three legs - with two of them going into couplers on the main floor. So, yes, these legs would need to be removed before the slide out room is put in. The design of this floorplan is really catching a lot of great attention and orders for it are pouring in. Because that extra large dinette makes into a bed, the table has to be removeable.
I am confident that this is not going to keep us from realizing very good sales on this model.
ST

fishn2dmax

Scott,

Thanks for the response! I'm sure your Engineering team thought about the potential problems with dinette table legs damage potential. Just an observation that your team may want to look at. I noticed on a competitor toy hauler ( Keystone product) a similar sized U shaped dinette and table design. The table had two larger diameter support poles mounted to the slide floor only, it was very stable. Just a thought that might reduce repair cost and increase customer satisfaction on the new 3012RE floorplan. I agree the floorplan will be a good seller.

Jett

Fishn2dmax,

I assume the u-shaped dinette in the Sundance 3012E is the same as the one in my Cyclone 3210. We love the u-shaped booth dinette -- it's one of the features we like best about the Cyclone, but in my opinioin, the table is a real pain. It's big, awkward and heavy. After a few days of wrestling with it, I pulled the leg mounts off of the floor and put them and the table-top in my attic for safe keeping. We're now using a small portable table -- for those rare times when we need a table.

fishn2dmax

JET,

Thanks for your sharing your experience with the U dinette table. What you described was our initial impression of the table as well. I think we'll have to come up with a freestanding table that has drop sides and can be folded up easily and placed to the side. We need to have a table as we do play cards and the like. Having a useable table that is not a real PITA is essential to us! We too like the large U-shaped bench /dinette, but the table design leaves much to be desired! Heartland please come up with a freestanding U shape table that can be folded up and also used as the support for the dinette bed.

Scott

I appreciate your comments. I am not sure that agree wit them totally. I mean, you are getting a little upset ("...PITA"; "...leaves much to be desired!") with a design that has been in RVs since the dark ages - without too many problems.
Just understand that what you are advocating is a much less expensive, less durable, lightweight table that will be suceptible to breaking vs. the time tested, heavy duy table that this industry has used for 30+ years. I don't know if that would fly with everyone. Yes, I agree, it would be easier to set up/tear down/and move. But the other side of the coin is the tables that we install are very strong and supported by steel tubes.
Personally, I would probably use those nice wooden TV trays to eat from both sofas on. And I would reserve the big table for playing cards and such.
ST

ST

fishn2dmax

Scott,

Thanks for your thoughts and perspective on the large dinette table. You do make a good point with regard to using designs with proven history. It is what it is ...

G.S.

Sol

We ordered our Cyclone without the table installed (including no installation of the floor mounting brackets). Heartland was kind enough to fulfill our special request in this regard. We requested the table and all hardware to come with the unit (unassembled). We intend to adapt the table for use, as an easy setup and take away item. I recently purchased an ottoman to place in the u-shaped space as an extra footrest while lounging. The ottoman also provides an extra seat, and the top removes and flips to provide a serving tray. I'll try to provide pictures in the future when I get some extra time.

fishn2dmax

Sol,

What an excellent Idea! An ottoman that doubles as a table top is the ideal solution for that large u-shaped seating area.

Thanks for the sharing the idea. If you do have pictures, it would be appreciated.

G.S.

Jett

Sol,

I'll also definitely be on the lookout for a suitable ottoman. That's a great idea. Wish I had thought of it.

dhensley

Are Super Dinette seats extendable?

We also like this option for the super dinette on the 3012RE. In the pictures we have seen it appears that the table placement extends farther into the living area than the benches. Do the benches extend out to meet the edge of the table?