Bed room closet sliding door latches

Bob Vaughn

Why don't they make the latches for the sliding doors out of metal? One of our latches just broke and it has hardly been used...I used to have to replace them on our other camper on a regular basis. I made a trip to camping world and got a pair of cheap plastic ones as there is no Heartland dealer any where near where we are...:mad:

campers2

They have to flex to work. Pulling on them to aggressively is the normal way they break. You should be able to get one just like it at most camping supplies.

One favorive alternative is to purchase a 1/2 in. dowel cut to the correct length with 2 vinyl tips. Lay it on each door track and the door will never move on the road. You will need one for each track.

wonka

I know the feeling, the little woman broke one of ours the first time she opened the closet. Bought some spares, and now we are REALLY careful unlatching them. Polished aluminum or stainless steel would be nice and durable, might have to take one over to a machine shop and see if its possible.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
to save on wear and tear on the latches when you are where you are staying, once you open the doors slide them all the way to the other side and you don't have to worry about latching them until you are ready to leave

ncc1701e

LOL....... I'm on my third set in six months. Gave up on the stock ones from Heartland and just use the cheaper plastice latches from Camping World.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A short piece of velcro on each door frame works even better. Had ours that way for 3 years now and the doors do not come open.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Been using Velcro for over 8 years now without any problems. Works lots better than the latches.

JonV

We've had our new BC out twice and both latches are broken. I was considering magnetic or spring type hold back latches but I think the dowel idea is a lot more fool proof. I'll go pick some up today.

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I also have had door latches break.. I thought I was just being rough with it, they are really stiff and hard to open.. I had been pushing the closet doors back the opposite way when parked as not to latch... Got a replacement but have not put it in yet.. I like the velcro idea too I may try that..:angel: