Cyclone 3914 Bad design flaw with the pass through doors

dennypa53

We havea a 2009 Heartland Cyclone 3914, in the winter we put on a good RV cover and didn't uncover the RV until the first part March. We're are getting ready to go on our first camping trip leaving July 17 for 8 days. When I opened up the pass through door on the back side of the RV the screws attaching the piston to the door closest to the front of the RV pulled through the door. exposing the rotten water soaked wood under where the hinges are attached. After opening the entry door side a couple of times (being careful because of what happened on the otherside), the screws attaching the piston to the door closest to the front of the RV again pulled through. It appears that water had entered the top of the door slide (where the door is slid in to attach to the RV) where it is crimped on both sides to keep the door in place. I am going to install a plastic rain drip edge that extends 1 1/2" the full length across the top of each door to prevent this from leaking again. It would be GREAT if Heartland would have done this when it was designed and built.

I had the exact same thing happen to mine a couple of weeks ago and thought i just opened to fast but I found that the shock on one side was sticking while the other side was still pushing out. I replaced both shocks and installed a peice of sheet metal (20Gauge) glued on the side of the door where it ripped out and all is good now.