"Don't leave unattended"?

dalspot

Most all the campgrounds have something or other that says to the effect of "do not leave your pets unattended".

Do they really expect you to stay glued to the RV the entire time you are there? Or do they tend to mean not to be left unattended outside?

Last edited:

PhotoPete

I think typically they mean, don't leave your dog to bark and pester folks while you take a 6 hour tour. We try to take the dog with us, and are always sensitive to others not caring for barking dogs.

SilverRhino

I agree with PhotoPete.....Dogs can be a nuisance even inside your neighbors RV!

We travel with two Beagles and try to take them with us whenever it is feasible. They stay in their kennels inside the BC when we have to leave them, and they feel very secure so they do not bark or whine. On a number of occasions we have parked the truck away from the trailer and "snuck" up to see what they were doing, just to be sure they were not disturbing anyone.

A few years ago, while staying in Colorado, we had two trailers pull in across from us. It appeared that it was two sisters and their husbands, each family with 4 small identical dogs. They would leave the campground early in the morning and not return until after dark......the entire time all 8 dogs did nothing but bark and whine! When comfronted by the parks management on the third day.....they were extremely indignant stating that "our dogs are show dogs, they do not bark or whine"!

This is why we do not leave our dogs unattended outside, where they will bark at times, or for extended periods in the trailer. It only takes one or two to ruin it for everyone.......We've all been camped next to those kind of people!

Travel Safe!

Yellowreef

It usually means outside as in a pen or tie-out. If they are inside and NOT being a nuisance then its normally not a problem.

jpdoggett

Most all the campgrounds have something or other that says to the effect of "do no leave your pets unattended".

Do they really expect you to stay glued to the RV the entire time you are there? Or do they tend to mean not to be left unattended outside?
Most places I have been means unattended is outside. We have two Mini Schnauzers and when we first went to Rockport Tx for the winter we left them inside the RV but in thier crates and was gone for about two hours and when we got back we had a complant about them barking, we don't put then in the crates anymore and we have not had any problems

HappyKayakers

Every campground I've worked at, unattended referred to outside - where a small child could still walk up to the dog and get bitten for instance. The excessive barking would fall under the nuisance or disturbance rule, which could apply to inside or outside the camper.

circusbear

We have our seasonal site for 4 years now. We had very good friends that were across from us for the last 3. They continually left their two dogs locked up in their trailer when they to do their stuff. These two dogs drove everybody around nuts. When they returned, our friends wouldn't believe their dogs would be the ones barking. They complained about every other dog in the park until I took a video on my cell phone and showed it to them. I still think they don't believe it was their dogs....

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Or unattended as in not on a leash. Seen that, even though the CG has rules to the contrary. An unknown dog running at you barking, without a person behind it, may require defensive moves that could cause great pain and injury to the animal. And I do like dogs.

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We have 2 dogs a Westie and a Schnauser, when we go off we put them in their crate they stay in the same one and we have not had a problem. We put the outside in the pen when we are there with them.. Consigeration is the key word...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have left our Yorkie in the trailer while gone, but usually like to take him with us. When we first got him and a couple of times just to be sure we have left our camcorder on an running in the trailer with a long life battery. Our Yorkie only barks when we return and open the door. Many parks have the rule that you can not leave your pet outside by it's self.

An acquaintance in the Escapees Forum posted that the park that they were hosting required all pets be taken with you when you leave the park. They stated specifically that you cannot leave your pet in your RV when you are not there.

BC

noobee

Most all the campgrounds have something or other that says to the effect of "do no leave your pets unattended".

If it is a dog, I would hope they insist that YOU TAKE THE PET WITH YOU when you leave your site. Also, I hope that they want you to be with your pet when it is outside your RV.
Nothing worse than having a neighbor's dog yapping all the time when the owners are not in attendance.

CS

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If it is a dog, I would hope they insist that YOU TAKE THE PET WITH YOU when you leave your site.
I disagree. If we go to church we can't take our dog with us. If we go to a movie, eat out with friends, go to disneyland, and many other places you can not take your pet.

I do know that some dogs do bark alot so the owneres have to work to keep it from barking.

BC

Crumgater

We're going to have to tackle this issue also. When going to national parks, the dogs are not allowed on the trails (due in part to wildlife issues, but I would guess also thanks to inconsiderate pet owners). So, they either have to site in the truck in the sunshine in summer time (not good), or back at the RV in AC comfort.

We plan on leaving the "debarker" on (http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Ultra...7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1308329667&sr=1-7) and also leaving our phone number with our neighbors in case of them becoming a nuisance.

We're very well aware our two "angels" have their moments of "devilish" behavior.

For places with kennels or doggie-daycare, I'd sign them up in a heart beat. That way we wouldn't have to worry about what time we need to get back. Being big dogs, they can go 10+ hours without a potty break... but they'd have much more fun at a doggie facility.

SilverRhino

If it is a dog, I would hope they insist that YOU TAKE THE PET WITH YOU when you leave your site. Also, I hope that they want you to be with your pet when it is outside your RV.
Nothing worse than having a neighbor's dog yapping all the time when the owners are not in attendance.

CS

Taking the dogs with us is not always possible or in some cases safe for the dogs......leaving them locked in the truck etc.

I make certain that my dogs don't annoy our neighbors.....at home or in the RV! Many places that we have stayed.......Our dogs were much better behaved than some of the so called "adults" that we had as neighbors! As I previously stated....."a few ruin it for the rest"! When in an RV park we are all forced to be in close quarters......Common sense and courtesy go a long way!

I would much rather camp to next to someone with dogs than the inconsiderate "person" that stands outside my RV smoking like a chimney all day long!!

dalspot

Thanks for all the replies. We have two Dalmatians, one 13 and the other 11. I think we've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's just not feasible for them to go with us. Our first preference is to leave the dogs home. Due to a few old-age related issues, it's best if we leave the oldest home with one of our kids. Sad to say, I doubt he will be still with us come next year's camping season. :(

Karen

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We only take ours when feaseable. To our knowledge they do not annoy the neighbors. They will bark if someone is outside making a racket around our RV but to counter that we will leave on the TV or radio to help mask any outside noise. We have came up to the RV and found them to be quiet. They will bark sometimes if they know we are right outside and they are not. So we deal with that.

noobee

I disagree. If we go to church we can't take our dog with us. If we go to a movie, eat out with friends, go to disneyland, and many other places you can not take your pet.

I do know that some dogs do bark alot so the owneres have to work to keep it from barking.

BC

I beg to differ... the dog owner made the decision to own a dog, therefore they should be inconvenienced by their ownership decision..... Not their RV Park neighbors.

And yes, each year I become more anti-dog as un-responsible owners make a selfish decision of leaving a yapper to ruin a neighbor's well being.

CS

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I beg to differ... the dog owner made the decision to own a dog, therefore they should be inconvenienced by their ownership decision..... Not their RV Park neighbors.

And yes, each year I become more anti-dog as un-responsible owners make a selfish decision of leaving a yapper to ruin a neighbor's well being.

CS

Almost as bad as the 'camper' that comes to the campground to 'escape' then turns on the boom box or TV so loud the whole park can hear it. Or the idiot that thinks they have to 'warm up' the engine on their loud diesel at 5am.

We have a 'no barking' unit that blasts an ultrasonic sound only animals can hear, and since my dog is my service dog, she gets to come with me anywhere, even an airplane. But there are still some situations when it's safer for her to stay in the RV. (we are full timers) We also cannot take her on the Harley. But until my DH can start alerting me to seizures, I spend most of my time in my service dog's presence.

What about folks that let their kids just stand around and SCREAM for no reason? I'd like to see something done about that one!!