Genset

wakbjk

While traveling and stopping at a rest area would it be possible to carry a gen to run the ac? which would be best? thinking of a M-21
Thanks for any input
Wayne & BJ
Port Orange Fl

brianharrison

Yes it is possible to carry a gen set and run the AC, most dry campers (without services) have generators. The minimum size is about a 3000 Watt, most RV campers use a quieter, inverter type like the Honda EU3000i, or twin EU2000i parallel cabled together to produce 4000 watts. Minumum current for an air conditioner is 12-14 amps continuous, about 20 amps inrush starting current. At 120 volts this means at least 2400 Watts. Expect to pay near $2000.00 to purchase new.

There are a lot of research and threads over in the Generator section of the forum (Click here).

I doubt the M-21 has a built in factory option so your options are to carry it in the back of your Tow vehicle (truck) or inside the trailer door/storage compartment - it would have to be brought outside to run the generator.

If you only want a generator to charge batteries there are other options for a smaller gen, but you did not ask that question. Please DO NOT just purchase a construction generator (LOUD!!!!) and run these in parking lots or campgrounds --> very annoying with noise pollution.

pegmikef

I've got the Honda 2000 pair and love them. You have to run both of them for the A/C, but if you aren't using the A/C you can get away with using only one if you are prudent about what you are using (e.g., don't run the coffee pot and microwave at the same time). I had to carry them in my TV with my M21. One reason I went with the pair is they only weigh 47 pounds each and are easy to load and unload.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I have a Kapor 3000W sinewave that we carry in the bed of the truck. The big "but" is, I wired in a plug at the front of the Horn. I also made a 30amp cord that runs to the Horn from the genset. It is more involved than just installing a plug. This way I dont have to run the 50amp cord all the way to the rear of the Horn from the TV. Send me a PM and I will tell you what all is involved.

Yellowreef

The Edge has an 11,000 BTU AC. Most other trailers have 13,500 BTU units and that is why some people have answered that you need a 3000 or two 2000 generators. A single Honda 2000 inverter generator can handle that and the tv at the same time. However, cant run the ac and microwave at the same time. Yamaha makes a 2400 model which is perfect for the Edge as it sits inbetween the traditional 2000 and 3000 models and provides sufficient power in a smaller/lighter package. Yamaha specifically engineered it to handle a 13,500 BTU unit, and yours would be smaller than that. Go to wisesales.com or generatorsdirect.com and you will pay a lot less than a store with no tax and no shipping.

danemayer

If anyone has experience with fuel cost to run the generator for 12 hours or so with A/C being the primary load, that might be interesting.

brianharrison

If anyone has experience with fuel cost to run the generator for 12 hours or so with A/C being the primary load, that might be interesting.

My Honda EU3000i (older model) has the 3.4 gal tank and I can run about 8-12 hours on a tank, depending on how hard the AC is working (ie compressor cycling). So about 3 to 4 gallons for 12 hours. You can do the math with the cost of gas in your area.

Other generators have different sized tanks, eco fuel buttons, etc so would have different run times per tank. I would suspect similar sized generators would get similar fuel economy, under similar loads.

Take care,
Brian

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I've got the Honda 2000 pair and love them. You have to run both of them for the A/C, but if you aren't using the A/C you can get away with using only one if you are prudent about what you are using (e.g., don't run the coffee pot and microwave at the same time). I had to carry them in my TV with my M21. One reason I went with the pair is they only weigh 47 pounds each and are easy to load and unload.

I have the Honda 2000 pair and love it as well. I also love the lighter weight and the ablility to only use one when needed. Very easy on gas but only drawback is they only have a 1 gallon fuel tank. I built my own extended run fuel setup using a marine 6 gallon fuel tank and quick connections from Wal-Mart. Now I have plenty of run time on the gennies. I store them in the front compartment of my Bighorn when traveling and sit them in the bed of the TV when I need to run them. I connected a 30amp plug and cord from the front of the Bighorn to my transfer switch and it works like a champ.