Biting the bullet - going full time!

shovelguy

Well, we sold the house and have until July 26th to vacate. had it on the mkt for only two weeks! We are now looking for ideas of where to stay come winter. I know you need to get reservations in fairly soon, or so we were told when in Nashville at the rally. Any ideas of nice places in Texas, Arizona etc. We are open to pretty much any ideas. d&j

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you don't mind some heat, take a look at Capital City RV park in Montgomery, AL. It is a nice quiet place with free cable, Internet and power. And only 450.00 a month.

TxCowboy

The sky's the limit! And no one says you have to stay at only one park this winter. Make reservations at several and enjoy the great parks, great people, and awesome new locations.

Congrats on your decision to go full time! :cool:

pegmikef

There are lots of well-maintained state parks, corps of engineer parks and very nice RV Resorts in Texas. As someone already said, make reservations in several of them. Prices are pretty reasonable at all of them, but the corps of engineers parks are half price if you have the golden eagle pass (I think it is America the beautiful pass now).

SmokeyBare

I agree, First year out can be an exciting Adventure. It was for Karen and I, as we adjusted our RV style from Vacation trips into our Full Timing Lifestyle. For us it seemed to take up the first year. I hope your travels take you on a slow move to some where south for the winter months. Starting out the end of July or early August gives you several months of enjoyable weather in the northern states before you will need/want to be somewhere further south. Have FUN !

Consider Yuma Arizona for a winter destination, that area often gets warm breezes from the Bahia area of Mexico making it often warmer than Texas or Florida. If Texas is your choice, the Rio Grand Valley has hundreds of RV Parks to chose from.

Might try using the Internet RV Park review link to start your search, just select the state of choice... then the area of that state.. http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

Winter Texan Connection is also a source for parks in the Valley. http://www.wintertexaninfo.com/

shovelguy

Thanks everyone for your responses. We are excited and a little nervous. Another adventure for us, for sure.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I'll have Mark check with his brother who spent the winter in AZ right on Lake Mead. The price was good, but there aren't many trees in that part of the country. He did get to wear shorts every day though.... I'll let you know when Mark gets me the info.Kristy

Birchwood

We have been full timers for almost two years and love lt.We are Canadians and held at bay in our province
for a six month period so that period we mainly sit.Its because of our Public Health Care Plan.
For the last couple years we have wintered in Florida for 6 months.We reserve a year in advance
at RV parks as the good ones are booked that far in advance.

MC9

You will find it is not the place, it is the people. We found both at Green Valley RV Resort in Green Valley,AZ.

gjackson

Congrats on your decision to go full time. We made the same decision last month and we're as excited as you to see places we've never been. Having lived on the Gulf Coast of Texas for 30 years, I would recommend, in addition to the Rio Grande Valley, that you check out the Corpus Christi / Port Aransas area. Lake Mathis is also in that vicinity and has several very affordable parks. If you enjoy bird watching that is an area you will really enjoy. Good luck in your travels.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Dean just like you we have sold the house and going full time. The closing was 7/8 but now they have asked to move it up to 6/30. Of course we said yes. Moving the rig today to a campground near Chattanooga. Then we are leaving in Oct. to the Rockport, Texas area. You might look at this area as it is about 30 miles southeast of Corpus Christi and on the Gulf. It is close to Port Aransas. If you go keep in touch and we will connect along the way. Congrats on your decision.

DDBird

We visit Rockport several times a year and stay at either the Sandollar RV or the I-35 Airport RV - both nice, friendly. Welcome to Texas!

larneal

We too are fulltimers for 8 months now. We spent last winter in Florida at Southern Palms RV Resort - loved it. We're going back this year. Although the temp got below freezing a couple of nights I think the most important thing is the park activities and this park has loads. The cost is about $550/mo. You can find cheaper but you usually get what you pay for. Good Luck.

Larry & Gail Neal
Full Timers
2009 3385RL
2007 Chevy 3500 Duramax/Allison Dually