Pneumatic lift for bed in North Trail

healeyt

Hi, We have a 2011 North Trail 28' RLS. We want to find a pneumatic lift/hinge for the underbed storage area. Hope to take a long trip and need that space but want to be able to get into it easily. Thanks. Theresa

pegmikef

Funny you should mention that, because I am in the process of doing that in my 2011 NT 26 LRSS. Here's a link that sells everything you will need. Don't forget the brackets for the struts. I am using the 60 pound 12 inch struts and the flat bracket for the side and the 90 degree bracket for the lid. I looked at a Caliber that had the struts and they used a small block of wood on the lid where the 90 degree bracket attaches so I am doing the same thing. I can't tell you how it works because I won't have the struts until tomorrow (I initially ordered the 20 inch ones and they were way too long). Happily I was able to return them and get the correct ones after I actually measured the space. I'll let you know how it works.

http://futuresalesrv.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=10

healeyt

Thanks for your response. I will watch to see how yoiu do with yours. We will get in touch with future sales in the meantime if we can't find what we need locally. Theresa

pegmikef

frontview.jpgLid Bracket.jpgSide Bracket.jpgSide View.jpg

It works great! I think it works better than the factory installed lift assist I looked at on the Caliber, but that is probably because I used stouter struts. I imagine the 28 RLS storage is probably the same as the 26 LRSS. We have added a foam topper to our bed so I wanted a little stouter strut to accommodate the extra weight. The 60 pound twelve inch struts work perfectly. I did add the block of wood to the lid for the 90 degree bracket and I added some 1 x 2 pieces to each side to reinforce it for downward pressure and to be able to screw the flat bracket on. Both sides are identical, but the pictures only show the left side. Good luck and I would definitely recommend Future Sales. They treated me very well.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
How did you go about finding the right places to mount the ends of the struts so that you can raise and lower the lid without problems?

pegmikef

How did you go about finding the right places to mount the ends of the struts so that you can raise and lower the lid without problems?

First I cut a piece of scrap to length for the height I wanted the lid to be when open and then I propped it open. Then I took one of the struts and used it to determine where it should fit on the side of the compartment (the closer to the lid hinge, the further it opens), and screwed in the bracket. The bracket on the lid has to be located so that the strut is closed when the lid is closed (or fairly close to it). I put the strut on the installed bracket, then calculated where the lid end would be with the shock closed (depressed) and drew a line on the frame. Closed the lid and transferred the line to the lid and installed the lid bracket so the lid end of the strut was at the line. To my surprise it worked the first time. You can see my guide line in a couple of the pix.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
You used the piece of scrap cut to the same length as the strut when the strut would be extended?

Looking at your pix, what would happen if you placed the lower part of the strut near the hinge and the upper strut away from the hinge?
Would it still allow the lid to be supported and closed but not have the hinge in the way of the wider opening?

Thank you for sharing your project details. This may be a project of mine in the next few weeks.

pegmikef

No, the scrap was cut long enough so I could prop the lid up to the height I wanted using the scrap from the floor to the lid. Before I decided to add the struts I had glued a small block on the under side of the lid so I could keep it propped open for loading and unloading the storage area. I just made a piece a little longer to open it more. After I propped it open I moved the strut around until I thought it would do the job for the desired height. Part of this was a good old "guesstomate."

I chose to mount it this way because I went to a local dealer and looked at a Calibur and this was the way the factory mounted them. I just made mine so it opened higher and I used stronger struts. Here is another method someone pointed to that sounds kind of like your other question. I didn't see this until I was done and I think they are a little pricey for their kit compared to what I paid.

http://www.hatchlift.com/rv-hatch-bed-installation.aspx

Last edited:

Manzan

Future Sales was out when I tried to order mine. Kept checking back until they had four brackets-settled for four straight ones. Just cut a thicker block for the lid.

PeternLiane

They were out of stock with the brackets too when I was ready to order. However, I was able to order everything even though the brackets were out of stock. They shipped my whole order the next business day.