Any other Heartland travel trailer owners have their dog lock them out of their trailers?

AttyVette

We just returned from Destin, Florida this past week after enjoying a wonderful stay at Henderson State Park. However, we did get locked out of our travel trailer by our dog Shalom. We brought our three dogs with us and when my husband brought one of the dogs out on the leash to me so I could walk him, one of two dogs left inside ( we are sure it was our sheltie because he jumps on the door handles when he is outside in our backyard to let himself back inside our home) jumped up on the door and flipped the locked the deadbolt latch downward locking us out of our Trail Runner ( all the trailer door keys were inside). Thankfully, we had the front compartment key so my husband climbed underneath and pushed up the bed to get inside the trailer. Unfortunately, he injured a rib having to climb in the trailer that way!Just curious if others have had to use the front compartment storage area as an emergency entrance to get back in their travel trailers because they were locked out of their trailers too.

hoefler

Trailer, no. Truck, yes. Actually I think it was the cat. While we leave the truck running for the animals, I have to make sure the wife has the other key while we are out getting the trailer level and settled in. We have a newer Ram truck, it has one of them electronic key fob thingy, I can pull a real key out of it and keep it in my pocket when I happen to be alone, like when wife has to make a mad dash, if you know what I mean.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
So far I have never been locked out of my TV or Trailer. When I purchase anything that requires a lock, I make about 4 spare sets of keys. I keep a full set in my TV and I keep a full set in the Trailer. The key ring for entering the trailer has a key to the TV and the Key set to the TV has a key to the Trailer. My TV also has a clifford alarm system with remote start, so I keep the keys in my pocket anytime I get out of the truck and leave it running.

BTW if your not familiar with Texas Law. It is against the law in Texas to leave your vehicle running with the keys in it.

A couple of websites about leaving your keys in your vehicle in Texas.
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/police/50auto.htm
7. Leaving your key in an unattended motor vehicle is a crime in Texas.

http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content60944.aspx
BC

noobee

Would it not be wise to have had a 'roadside assistance' service such as Good Sam, CoachNet, etc.?
CS

SilverRhino

Our last trip.......the door lock, not the dead bolt, on the BC became inoperative! Key would go in, but would not turn at all. Soaked the lock with silicone spray and finally got the lock open......after 45 minutes of working with it. We stopped using the door lock and only used the dead bolt the rest of the trip. New lock assembly was installed upon returning home. I did not see anyway to service the lock cylinder, so that is why I replaced it. Very glad that we got it opened.....thought I was going to have to break in through a window.......No option of coming up from the front compartment on the BC.

BTW if your not familiar with Texas Law. It is against the law in Texas to leave your vehicle running with the keys in it. BC

Learned about this law from a Sheriff's Deputy.......Truck has a turbo cool down timer on it, so when I shut it off, the motor runs until EGT gets down to 300 degrees. Parked in a Rest Area near Hale Center, TX and set the emergency brake, turned the key off, removed the key and locked the door. Came out of the restroom to have a Deputy standing next to my truck. I had to prove to him that there was no way to move the truck without the key......As soon as you step on the brake pedal, the engine dies unless the key is on. He let me go.......but was very sure that I knew he could have given me a ticket!

AttyVette

Would it not be wise to have had a 'roadside assistance' service such as Good Sam, CoachNet, etc.?CS
We are members of Good Sam club..just asked if others ever locked out of their trailer by their dogs...plus we didn't want to leave our two dogs locked inside while we and one dog were locked outside...

irvin56

I always have a megnetic key case and have my spare key in it. It's under the propane tanks on frame. Been through this and don't want it to happen again. I don't really worry about it being there, as we never leave trailer overnight. If we are the only few trailers in lot. I take the keys with me if gone for the full day. I have forgotr it and traveled for the day. It was still there at next CG

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
No, but I have our dog lock us out of the truck while it was running, out in the middle of no where. The no lock feature on our GMC only works if the truck is not running, used on star thank goodness we had cel service.

Hunter

Newby
In our trailer the small sewer hose container is too small, so, we never used it for anything other then a spare trailer key. Who in their right mind is going to look into your sewer hose container for anything let alone a key?