Edge owners - Please check your brake wires!!!

rl7greg

I just got my trailer back from the shop....had them adjust the brakes in preparation for a long upcoming long trip. To my shock, they showed me that the two brake wires that go from the front set of wheels to the rear set of wheels along the driver side (zip tied to a pipe on the frame in between) - one had been cut, from rubbing against the sharp edge of the frame, and the other was about to go. They also pointed out that the wires seemed to be too short, or maybe had shifted from the motion of the wheels. They extended them a few inches and patched them up.

Please check your wires....I was running on 2 out of 4 brakes.

I would be interested to know if the factory just forgot to install some sort of protective sheath for those wires, or if all the trailers are like that. Mine is a 2010 Edge M22, manufactured I think in July 2009. I'm either going to tape the wires to protect them or look for some sort of flexible plastic tubing that will protect from that happening again. I haven't gone down to my dealer to have a look at the new trailers on the lot yet, but plan to soon.

Greg

PhotoPete

I had SOB with a similar problem. Things happen. We always need to be looking over the rig, any rig, to be sure it's safe for travel. It can be a real PIA but thats the price we pay to sit in front of a camp fire rather than a desk!