no brakes

chief190

We received our bighorn 3585rl special ordered in november of 2010. From the start the brakes did not feel nearly as good as our previous ob trailer. After only 4 trips totaling maybe 1000 miles total the brakes would not hold well enough to slide the hitch. Obviously there was a problem with the brakes. I took trailer to dealer and they removed wheels and drums and found that all four inner grease seals where leaking and had caused extensive damage to brake shoes magnets and drums. I had installed new controller because i was not sure if my controller was working correctly. Now the Dealer after only 7 months of ownership the dealer is saying I may have to pay for repair to brakes. I work for a Ford Dealership and Know there would be no question about coverage. has anybody else had brake problems this early. The technian that was working on trailer when I was there. He said that the 7000 lb axles I have are equiped with zirk fitting on the ends of the bearing caps. He said people tend to over grease these units and pushes grease past seals and or pushes seals off of hubs. I did not even know they where equiped with much less grease them. As a Ford senior master tech I feel I know a little more than average person. I don't feel this would be considered normal maintenece this soon in trailers life. Also has anybody upgraded to Four wheel disc brakes. If so are you pleased with the results.:mad:

bdb2047

Do you have Lipert Or Dexter axles?I had simalar problem and dealer said they could not do anything but suggested I call manfacture,Dexter.I called Dexter,sent pictures and they took care of replacing all damaged parts.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have the same rig as yours, but ordered sooner. If you ordered in November you have Dexter axles.
I have Lippert axles and have had brake issues, including a bad seal. We were on the road in TX and a dealer there fixed me up no questions on warranty.
If you are not satisfied with your dealers response, call Heartland Customer Service and explain the situation. 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030
As far as disk brakes, I do know a couple of people that have done the conversion. I have the parts laying on the floor in my garage and will doing mine shortly. I will take video of the process and post it on YouTube when I get it done. Stay tuned for a thread with a link to the video.

Peace
Dave

chief190

I have dexter axles. I have read the artical from trailer life about changing them to disc brakes. I will see how the new electric brakes work before i decide if I'm going to put disc brakes on mine. I would have done the work myself as I am certainly qualified but it is under warranty and I should not have to. what kit did you get? I got a price from Mor Ryde of 1800.00 for everything i should need.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I bought the Kodiak E-coated. Mor/ryde sells Kodiak as well, but I don't know if they are automotive finish or a coated kit of some sort. I also got the same actuator that Mor/ryde uses, Carlisle.
I bought everything locally and with tax the price was just over 1800.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

If Mor-ryde is going to stand by that price,Its a good deal if freight doesn't kill ya. Give Gary Wheeler or Ben Wigenton a call at Mor-Ryde to check thats the price I got from Gary this week at the rally.

Last edited:

wdk450

We received our bighorn 3585rl special ordered in november of 2010. From the start the brakes did not feel nearly as good as our previous ob trailer. After only 4 trips totaling maybe 1000 miles total the brakes would not hold well enough to slide the hitch. Obviously there was a problem with the brakes. I took trailer to dealer and they removed wheels and drums and found that all four inner grease seals where leaking and had caused extensive damage to brake shoes magnets and drums. I had installed new controller because i was not sure if my controller was working correctly. Now the Dealer after only 7 months of ownership the dealer is saying I may have to pay for repair to brakes. I work for a Ford Dealership and Know there would be no question about coverage. has anybody else had brake problems this early. The technian that was working on trailer when I was there. He said that the 7000 lb axles I have are equiped with zirk fitting on the ends of the bearing caps. He said people tend to over grease these units and pushes grease past seals and or pushes seals off of hubs. I did not even know they where equiped with much less grease them. As a Ford senior master tech I feel I know a little more than average person. I don't feel this would be considered normal maintenece this soon in trailers life. Also has anybody upgraded to Four wheel disc brakes. If so are you pleased with the results.:mad:

Sir:
While I am certain as a master mechanic you know your stuff, and you certainly did have a contaminated brake shoe problem, after your comment about no brakes when hitching up, I need to ask if you (and the other readers out there) are aware that magnetic trailer brakes rely on wheel motion to get the shoe to contact the drum? The brakes do not work sitting still.
It is best to have your trailer wheels chocked or locked (With a between the tires locking device) when hitching or unhitching.

chief190

I am well aware of how electric brakes work and even after driveiing the traile over 100 feet they would not hold well enough to allow my slider hitch to slide into the manouver mode. I always have wheels chooked when hitching. how would one use the elctric brakes on the trailer you are hooking up before you are hooked up. I will see how the electric brakes work before making a decision on disc brakes.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We replaced the electric brakes on our Landmark with the electric/hydraulic disc brakes. The installation was done by Mor/Ryde when we got the Mor/Ryde IS installed. The disc brakes have save our backsides more than once. We are pleased with them. BTW we also got the never-lube bearings at the time. The never lube bearings are sealed and cannot be greased, only replaced. We are pleased with that also.

Rodbuster

I find the #9 post by wdk450 very interesting. I also am having brake issues. In using the factory installed brake controller in my 2011 F350, I find that I can not do the brake test (or tug test) using the brake controller to see if my kingpin is securely hitched.
Another test that I tried is, I have everything hooked up and I am on a flat paved road. I am at a complete stop, I then put the truck in gear (drive), I do not touch the gas pedal or the brake pedal. I then take the slide lever on my brake controller and slide it all the way to the left. Thr truck and trailer keep on rolling...This Is At Idle Speed. I adjusted my gain to 10 (which is maximum), same thing...truck keeps on rolling.
I have an appointment at the Ford dealership Friday morning to have them test out the brake controller.
Sure would be nice to know that the statement that is on the number 9 post is correct and accurate for my rig, which is,
2011 Ford F350 dually with the 6.7 diesel.
2012 Key Largo

Thank you
Rodbuster

danemayer

I am also having a brake problem on our 2011 Rushmore (built in late August 2010). They feel weak and will no longer hold well enough to test the hitch. I listened by each wheel while my wife operated the controller in the truck and heard distinct humming from the electromagnet on 3 of the 4 wheels. The 4th is silent.

Dexter is sending left and right brake assemblies and seals to a local repair shop (enough parts for any worst case, so they only pay for one labor charge). The repair guy is coming to the park we're in - probably tomorrow. I'll post what he finds.

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired
Similar problem with same truck and a BH3585. However it looks like the problem is a short on the trailer side, maybe a magnet. Since the problem appears intermittantly it is difficult to pinpoint. Now that we are back from our maiden voyage I will bring the rig back to the dealer to try and find out what it is all about...

I find the #9 post by wdk450 very interesting. I also am having brake issues. In using the factory installed brake controller in my 2011 F350, I find that I can not do the brake test (or tug test) using the brake controller to see if my kingpin is securely hitched.
Another test that I tried is, I have everything hooked up and I am on a flat paved road. I am at a complete stop, I then put the truck in gear (drive), I do not touch the gas pedal or the brake pedal. I then take the slide lever on my brake controller and slide it all the way to the left. Thr truck and trailer keep on rolling...This Is At Idle Speed. I adjusted my gain to 10 (which is maximum), same thing...truck keeps on rolling.
I have an appointment at the Ford dealership Friday morning to have them test out the brake controller.
Sure would be nice to know that the statement that is on the number 9 post is correct and accurate for my rig, which is,
2012 Key Largo

Thank you
Rodbuster

bdb2047

2012 Key Largo

Thank you
Rodbuster
I have same truck.At idle trailer brakes will stop rig and do pull test I am set at 8.5.I recently changed 2 complete assemblies,due to grease cotamination, and am satisfied with trailer braking but have not tried to lock brakes when above idle or panic stop.I do plan to change to disc but will be awhile.

chief190

I can tell you that it may take a few feet of rolling to apply the leverage to the magnet to apply pressure on brakes but if manually applied they should keep trailer from rolling very far. As a Ford tech I have had to replace several factory installed brake controllers. however some times you will get some flack from the dealership about bringing your trailer in to prove that the problem is with the truck. I just got off the line with the dealership that has my trailer and they said heartland will not cover any of the expense for the brakes. They said they are now sending the claim to Lippert and to Dexter as I have Dexter axles. They say I have to pay and they will send me a check if either send any money. I can't believe that this is how it should work. We don't wait to release a vehicle from our dealership until Ford pays us. I have called Kary and am waiting for a reply does any body know who I should call about warranty questions at Heartland.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Just a silly question, but if you have Dexter axles why would they send a claim to Lippert?
My experience with brake problems, both times, after the repair was made, both dealers said adios. They knew before hand that it would be covered.
I have Lippert axles on my 2011 BH. They started using Dexter in mid August, 2010.

Peace
Dave

chief190

I Agree but they are telling me that the frame is still lippert and comes with dexter axles. I can't believe that is true as I'm sure heartland is putting the axles on not Lippert. Did the dealer make you pay for any of the brake repairs within the first year and if so how much. thanks for the reply. I wish i had talked to you before we ordered ours we should have gotten the dual pane windows as I have read you have.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I did not have to pay anything. One dealer in was Texas when we were on the road and one dealer here in WI.
Make a call to Dexter and explain your situation. See what they have to say.
Good luck.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Mobile repair guy came out today and checked the brakes. They tested ok electrically. He said that the "ear" test is not reliable. Sometimes the magnets are working but can't be heard. He adjusted the brakes but had some difficulty getting to a place where they held tight, but didn't drag excessively because the drums are out of round. He showed me how the wheel turns freely for part of its rotation, but then binds at the high spot inside the drum. The drums need to be turned or replaced. But they're operating much better for the moment.

His comment about self-adjusting brakes was that they generally don't self-adjust.

Now that they've been adjusted, I can operate the brake controller and press on the gas without moving.