Using Propane Water Heat

jtm012

Have a 2006 3655RD Big Horn and when I turn on the "Propane" water heater switch,the red light on the panel remains on. On my Motor Home, that meant the unit had failed to light, normal operation was "light on while igniting, light off when lit" Since this is completly backward and I cant find anything about it in the manual, just thought I'd ask. Is it normal and proper for the red light to be on while using the propane water heat? Thanks

jimtoo

Hi jtm012,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Your switch will stay on anytime the waterheater is turned on to run on propane. Next to the switch is a small red light (1/8" dia+-) that comes on when the unit is trying to light. After it ignites the small one goes off, but the switch will continue to stay on so that you will hopefully see it when your disconnecting and turning everything off.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

pegmikef

Yeah and if the little light Jim was talking about stays on, then there's a problem with the lighting (e.g., gas not turned on, air in line, etc.).

Dabe67

Having issue with the waterheater flame staying on. It will ignite and run for a bit but then shut down. I turn on the hot water faucet in camper and it will get hot for like 2 seconds then become warm water again. Checked the igniter and it is out. Is my regulator in the water heater toast?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The first things I would check are the inside and outside shower (if equipped) handles are off. Then be sure that your winterizing valves are set to the normal position. Hot and cold on, bypass off.
You may also need to clean the water heater burner.
Do you get hot water when running on 120 AC?

Peace
Dave

Dabe67

The first things I would check are the inside and outside shower (if equipped) handles are off. Then be sure that your winterizing valves are set to the normal position. Hot and cold on, bypass off.
You may also need to clean the water heater burner.
Do you get hot water when running on 120 AC?

Peace
Dave
Cookie, thank you for the information.(where is the hot cold bypass, we have a 2009 Heart Trail bumper pull.) When the burner starts it has a good flame to start but seems to yet after a bit. But.... My wife did notice that the water was hotter longer when our A/C was running.
Thanks for the help.