streaks on rv.

rollyc

picked up brand new 2011 mk2900 sundance may 31 2o11 in grand island, ne. streaks on bedroom window and fiberglass below it. called dealer ba
k 2 weeks later . washed 3 times and chamoised. no difference. dealer said buy product at ace hardware.krud cleander. am afraid it might damage fiberglass. dealer is 3 hours away. lookes like cleaner ran off roof. he said not so. has anyone come across this before. hope i do this right. rollyc.

jimtoo

Hi rollyc,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You have a common thing that happens to all RV's... seems like when the water runs off the roof it will leave a black streak on the side of the coach. Just need to get one of the products that remove the black streaks.... lots of them out there. Some of out other owners can give you lots of recommendations.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Rollyc,
I've used many black streak removers, but I am very pleased with something I bought at THE DOLLAR STORE - it is called AWESOME! It comes in a spray bottle and only costs $1.00. I use it on so many things, including my disposal and bathtubs at home. Give it a try. Rinse it off as you go. On those stubborn streaks, I pour it on a dry rag and use it full strength. Other than that, I just spray and wipe. Good luck. I know it is a pain.

Birchwood

I am now using Marine Spray 9 for my black streaks as its fast and no nonsense.Tired of using
black streak remover as most of the time it won't work.Spray 9 can be washed off immediately
because the black streaks are removed immediately.

Rrloren

I use Westley's Tire cleaner, I wet the area spray on and use my long handle brush then wash off with hose , very little effort required.
Been using this stuff over 10 yrs. no damage to the RV.

DMitch

I vote for Awesome, cheap and works terrific. Not good on glass it streaks like all get out.

rollyc

thanks guys for the input. will try awsome first since that is only 20 miles away,but may be several days. the other cleaner i dont know where to get. to clarify they asre more like water stains than black marks. i have never seen this at least to this degree. its never been used and i didnt think rain water did this, at least not in south central ne. 2900mk 2004 1/2 LLY gmc duramax.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If I am visualizing this correctly, it sounds like you are correct in assuming that there was some sort of cleaner used on the roof and nobody rinsed the side.
Have you tried hitting it with a good wax, like Meguiars Flagship Marine Wax? Or their 49 Oxidation Remover? Both good products.

Peace
Dave

Peace
Dave

rollyc

dave, i have mcquiers product but dont know if its that type . i havent waxed it yet. been busy eith yard work home improvement and going for aweek to estes park in colo. with children, yearly get together. streaks are pretty widespread on bedroom window on passenger side and below it as well. usually normal water stasins are just below window corner where it collects and then ndrains down in one or two streams. this is like it ran over side 6 feet across like a stream. noticed the window at dealership but so many things to look at , just thought it didnt get rinsed of good and put it in backn of mind swince it was late and had 3 hour drive home that evening. will figure something out sometime here. bye rollyc .

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Just picked up a new fifth wheel at the Goshen Rally and started removing all the factory and dealer stickers on the front cap. Needless to say, all the sticky residue would not come off. After reading this thread, I stopped and picked a bottle of Awesome. One quick spray and wipe, all gone. Tried it on the stubborn black streaks that I could not get off. Gone in a second. This stuff is awesome.

jpajax

You will find out that a good coat of wax will help tremendously. I have used Awesome before and it works very well and does not hurt the decals but you have to remember that if you use it or other cleaning products like that it will remove wax. I have found that a good coat of wax with two coats were the down spouts are it helps. Also if you put extenders on down spouts and it help a lot, also keep a look out for guttering being stooped up and running over.. I use a cleaner wax called Gel Gloss it is a cleaner wax and it remove black streak quick and easy and leave that area protected when you spot clean. I also try ed a something else this year if the form of wax sealer but if you use it the surface must be clean. Try ed it on front cap were the bugs are a real problem so for works great and doesn't hurt decals. I try ed dryer sheet called Bounce to clean the bugs and streaks works like a charm. You might want to give these thing a try. Have fun and be safe not only on the road but on that step ladder. Oh you can find the Gelgloss at RV dealership and the Insulator wax at Advance Auto Parts 0622110901.jpg0622110901a.jpg0622110902.jpg0622110903.jpg

rollyc

i tried awesom on the fiberglas. it came righy off. someone said it messed up the window but figured i had nothing to lose so i tried it. didnt make it any worse but didnt take the streaks off either.i continue to think the manufacturer or the dealer put cleaner on the roof and didnt rinse off the sides good after that. i have never senn water stains to this degree. if the dealer wont do anything i guess i can replace the window if i feel the need to. is some tint embedded in the glass so it can be bleached out by some thing strong running down the window? thanks for the cleaning tips, guys. rolly

rollyc

couldnt get stains from window dealer referred me to warranty department. havent done that yet. my ceiling fan makes a clicking noise and a very audible humming noise. has anyone else noticed this with heartland rvs. probably just real cheap fan. rolly