Poll: 4 day or 5 day rally?

4 or 5 days for the 2013 rally in Goshen, IN

• We hope to/are planning to come to this rally - we'd prefer a 4-day rally (Wed-Sun)

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • We hope to/are planning to come to this rally - we'd prefer a 5-day rally (Tue-Sun)

Votes: 83 81.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeletti

This year (2011) for the "back home" rally, held in Goshen, Indiana, I added a 4th day (Wednesday) to the official rally schedule. We had a full day of sessions that day and did an "on your own" dinner that night with many chapters getting together for potlucks and such.

I'd like to add more time to some of the maintenance seminars that had to be "rather hurried" this year, due to time constraints. Of course, all seminars are optional. So adding more doesn't have to add more stress to rally attendees - unless you try to come to everything that is offered.

I'm guessing the additional cost for a 5-day rally in Goshen will be in the $25 dollar range.

This said, if you're thinking of coming to the 2013 rally in Goshen, IN, please vote in this poll.

Thanks,

Jim

loafer

Due to the fact that we have to travel a long distance for the Goshen rally, we vote for the five day rally. That way we get to spend more time with new friends and get time to attend more sessions.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I agree with loafer - maybe a 5 day would be better. We went ahead and took a week vacation this year hoping to do some site seeing beforehand but best laid plans failed with the broke toe. With most folks who are in the work force having distance to travel, maybe a week day rally with weekends to travel would be great. I know it was a long 11 hours getting back on Sunday, leaving at 6 in the morning so that we could be back to work on Monday.

dieselsweetheart

Byrd, hope your toes are healing nicely...

Did you see how many people were checked in by Sunday when the rally only started on Wednesday? I don't think adding an extra rally day will make people come in earlier...they are all there already! I was glad not to have 5 days because we like to sightsee...and we know that once the rally officially starts sightseeing is hard to do. I am still working so I couldn't have gotten off longer than a week. So I went in on Sunday (after my PA rally) and we had Mon and Tues to see the area. If it starts on Tuesday next time, that leaves only Monday to see the area...and then we'd all miss the flea market! (or wherever else folks wanted to go).

I see people are voting for the 5 day... but IMHO....you don't need to schedule extra days for people to come in early... but of course we will go with the majority...

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
we definetly will be in Gillette and Goshen... "Life is Good being a Heartland Owner"

An alternative would be to have two simultaneous sessions. Yes, people would have to choose which one to come to but I think the seminars, etc. would be better if they were longer and the only way to do that would be to either add a day or double up and have two sessions at the same time.

jbeletti

An alternative would be to have two simultaneous sessions. Yes, people would have to choose which one to come to but I think the seminars, etc. would be better if they were longer and the only way to do that would be to either add a day or double up and have two sessions at the same time.

Paul - thanks for the feedback. We have sessions going on in the main rally hall and at the same time, Leisure Time Activity sessions going on in the History Room and sometimes in the Lower Level Meeting Room. So that's 2 and sometimes 3 now. With the size of the group now and with maybe 200 more people in 2013, the sessions in the main hall will be huge. That said, I just don't feel we can have 2 big sessions going at once in that hall.

I will be moving the Heartland Marketplace (vendors) into another building, just to the east, past the show coaches in Ag Hall. That gives me the room I need to sit most of those additional people.

I also plan (hope) to have a better PA system and 2 large projection screens, one at each end of the hall for better viewing and hearing of what is going on, on the main stage, be that a presentation or entertainment. Wish me luck and again, thanks for the feedback.

jbeletti

Jim P has weighed in with his comments about this, on the Club Facebook page. Jim asks for more time for the sessions (ie another day to be added) and/or transition time be added between sessions (bio break). I am all for the transition time between sessions as it gives us all some flex time - me, in case of run-overs and you, in case of bio-needs :)

By adding time to some of the sessions, we can also cut down on the time needed for added discussion in the hallway with the presenter after their session.

So many ways to improve - so little time to pack it all in.

By the way, the poll is running 80/20 for adding a 5th day (Tuesday) to this rally. Personally, I am in favor of it as it gives me more flexibility, gives speakers a better change to get all across they need to and gives attendees a better presentation/seminar. Yes, it adds a day to the time you need off work. Yes, it may mean some cannot come to this rally that otherwise can make a 4 day rally. But overall, I feel it will make for a better overall rally experience for those that can make it.

While you know how I am leaning on this, I still very much want to hear the cons of a 5-day rally (Tuesday through Sunday) - and I especially need feedback on how to do sessions better in a 4-day span. Actually, 3 days of sessions in a 4-day rally.

Thanks everyone

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
I like the idea! Any chance that it could be trial tested at Gillette??? It is a long trip from NJ but three of us are in the planning stage for it.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I'm wondering if I'm missing something. Can the folks that can't do a 5 day rally make it a four day? Not having been to a national rally (Looking forward to next year though) and not knowing all the ins and out's it may not be practical. We just got back from the CO rally I know we couldn't wait to get there and hated having to leave but it would seem to us if it was 5 days and all we could do was four we would take it.

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
Jim, I like your thinking on the PA system it was hard to hear unless you were front and center. Projection screens would be great as well.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We would not have a problem with it being a 5-day rally, starting on Tuesday. We made this one a "5-day" one by adding an extra day on the front end, anyways. If the next one is extended and seminars/activities start on Tuesday, it would make coming in on Monday (for those who can) or sooner the way to go so as not to miss anything. For us, it's a 7 hour trip from our seasonal site, an easy day drive.

Personally, I'm glad we came in a day early since I was able to get weighed immediately, get settled and relax before the seminars, et.al., actually started. Next rally, though, we want to explore the Goshen/Elkhart areas more and socialize around the rigs more than we did.

Moving the vendor area to another building is a great idea. At times, it was impossible to hear the speakers over the conversations going on over there.

This was our first national rally, and are planning on Wyoming in 2012.
We found it to be a little hectic with all the seminars. I found them to be very informative, and I learned a lot, but did not have much time to visit with my neighbors.
We also belong to the Michigan Chapter and look forward to Suttons Bay in August.
We are in favor of the 5 day, with maybe one day set for just visiting.
We really enjoyed the Rally and look forward to many more.
We want to thank Jim B. and all the staff he has assembled. We also want to thank anyone that helped out. You gals and guys did one heck of a job.
Congratulations to all.

Hockster

mrhypnosis

MrHypnosis (Dave & Lyne)
5 days sounds good to me. I agree with you Jim, some of the seminars seemed a little bit rushed. Many conferences have 45 or 50 minute seminars. BTW, I thought this year was fantastic. I would love to have an extra day of the same:cool:

jimtoo

5 days sounds good to me. I agree with you Jim, some of the seminars seemed a little bit rushed. Many conferences have 45 or 50 minute seminars. BTW, I thought this year was fantastic. I would love to have an extra day of the same:cool:
mrhypnosis,,,, just cast your spell and say "sleep"...:) bet it will happen... Hope to see you next year,,,or sooner if you come to South Texas or some place close.. Really enjoyed your show,, I know you must help people with problems,,, thank you again.Jim M

jbeletti

I like the idea! Any chance that it could be trial tested at Gillette??? It is a long trip from NJ but three of us are in the planning stage for it.
Tom, the on-the-road rallies do not have this level of seminar component as I don't have access to the supplier base like I do in Elkhart county. Also, my costs at the Goshen venue are much lower than other venues. This all said, the on the road rallies will likely remain 3-days (start Thu and Sun at checkout). Jim

John and I would both prefer a 5 day rally. However, in order to ensure we can attend, please let us know the tentative dates as soon as possible. Our family seems to plan vacations around the rally dates, so it would help if we could block off that time.

jimtoo

Hi dfagoddard,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

The link to the Heartland National Rally for 2012 is here. The dates for the 2013 rally have not been set yet, but most likely will be mid June area.

Jim M

convert

Reginald Hromek
Jim
My vote is for the 5 day rally. as stated too much to digest ,too little time.
Reg & Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.