Coby Surround sound / DVD problem

newman

Our Coby DVD player freezes up everytime we play a movie in it. Sometimes we can get it to restart, but most of the time we have to turn off the player and turn it on again. Would putting a CD/DVD cleaner disk in it work?

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Cleaner did not work with my GE DVD player, had to send the unit back to the factory for a reprograming. Cost me 88 bucks, what a scam.

fsh2win

Always fish to win!!
Same here!

I have only used the dvd player once and it locked up. I had to go as far as to unplug the unit and start over before it let me run the DVD again. I think that they need to use a better product. My screen on the tv will shake when in dvd mode but not playing, as it says COBY. It's only one week old and I will bet that it is going to be a problem in the future.:confused:

fishn2dmax

I noticed the colby DVD that come with Sundace units are crap. You could take it back to your dealer (if it's still under warranty) or just go out and buy a decent unit for $150 or less.
;)

charris57

Colby CD

Replace it with 1 you like. They only retail on the net for under 89 bucks. So you know what they cost. Nothing.....I replaced mine with a Yamaha Surround system from Best Buy for about 300 bucks And bought a Sony DVD/cd player that fit perfectly on top of it. Yhr Yamaha came with all 6 speakers. We put the powered sub in the cabinet below the entertainment center and it has worked perfectly since. Give it a try. Just have all your wits when hooking up all those speakers... And forget the speakers in the bedroom ceiling. Get some good ones also from Best Buy (impedence match with the stereo)and they can be installed on the "B" channel of a stereo... Enjoy..Steve Harris .. Tampa

tdreasher

1 1/2 Movies

Our Colby "system" lasted 1 1/2 movies. What a piece of crap.....Surely they could do better than that. I almost wish that they would have ran the wire and advertised that it was "wired for surround sound. I had to take mine apart just to get the movie out of it.

But thank you Forum for informing me even before I bought my Sundance. It was not a shock to see it fail but a time to laugh.

Tony

AndyG

Just got ours home last week. Went out to watch a few movies and all was fine. Watched two movies the first night out.

I put in a rented movie and it started skipping half way through it. I took it out and saw a bunch of rings rubbed around the disk. I looked back and found that every disk I put in the thing had the same rings.

So not only am I looking for a new DVD player but two new DVDS and hope that Netflix doesn't charge me for the one that is ruined.

Going to contact the dealer and see what they say.

Would appreciate any help from the Factory reps on this.

Andy

jbeletti

Andy,

Sorry to hear about your DVD player issues. Contacting your dealer is absolutely they correct first step.

Note that the factory does not follow most of the forums here except for the Ask The Factory forum. So they won't see your post here. But rather than duplicating it or moving it, let's give your dealer time to do the right thing on this.

Should you find that you need to contact the factory on this or other matters down the road, the number to Customer Service is 574-262-8030. Be sure to have your VIN ready as well as full details of your issue when calling Customer Service.

Best of luck and let us know how you come out on this.

Jim

dglatta

We have also had problems with the Coby DVD unit in our new Bighorn. While watching a DVD, the surround sound went "POP" and the sound became static while the movie played on! I turned the unit off and then back on and the sound was back but the movie had to be restored to the scene that was previously playing. A real pain. This has happened several times, once after 5 minutes and on another occasion, after 2 hours. I have also found the remote control to be very "iffy". I plan to contact the dealer

charris57

Colby Quality

Remember these things retail for less than $89.00, so you know how much Hartland has purchased them for. See my post above....Replace It...Steve

cmart

Our 3055RL is back in the shop again and thats one of the current complaints. DVD doesn't work nor the surround sound. The Svc Mgr has ordered another DVD which is supposed to correct the problem.

My first Colby was DOA. The second lasted a little over a week. I replaced the Colby with a Philips home theater package model HTS3544/37 from Wal-Mart for just under $200.00. I couldn’t be more pleased with the result.

The Philips unit plays all DVD and CD formats, has both a USB and MP-3 port on the front panel and comes with an Ipod docking port. Connecting a Compact Flash/SD reader to the USB port allows high resolution viewing of images from my digital camera.

The only installation inconvenience was connecting the speakers. The Philips unit uses a custom speaker plug (far superior to the spring loaded clips on the Colby). I chose to use the existing front and rear channel surround speakers in my Sundance to avoid mounting issues (no brackets are supplied) with the Philips speakers. Consequently, I had to clip the custom connectors off the Phillips supplied speakers and pig tail them to the existing speaker leads in the Sundance. I did replace the Colby sub-woofer and center channel speakers with those supplied in the Philips package, so I only had to pig tail four connectors.

- Jack

vrugt

Region free hack

Indeed the Coby is a piece of crap. However, for those of you that didn't replace the unit and would be interested making the DVD player region free, here's the hack.

Open the tray then, using the remote control, just press 0000 and then press 9 to select multiregion. After the hack is applied it can play discs other than region 1. The unit already supports both the PAL and NTSC format.

Of course you apply the hack on your own risk.

Sundance_kid

Our Coby gave up the this last trip out. The dealer ordered us a new one so will see what shows up. I'm surprised our microwave is no problem.

similar freezing problem

newman said:
Our Coby DVD player freezes up everytime we play a movie in it. Sometimes we can get it to restart, but most of the time we have to turn off the player and turn it on again. Would putting a CD/DVD cleaner disk in it work?

this problem occured with a different dvd player. I took it apart. discovered that the laser rides back and forth on rods to either side of it. mine had been over greased and probably had gathered some dirt on the rods. cleaned and put back together. lo and behold the dvd player worked. since then we traded that rv and dvd player in and bought a heartland product with the coby dvd player. we have yet to experience any problems with it. hope this helps.
gary asplund
bighorn 3670

rvwilling

RV WILLING
A lot of rv makers use the same brand. Heartland is selling it self to be better than other rv co. with a whole page ad showing inside and outside convenience features ( they impressed us to buy a new 2800rb) heartland is the top in convenience add ons at no extra coast - why ? do what almost all the others are doing "coby" do BETTER then the others . We did not get our 2800 yet but looks like I allready can start a to do list--1. dvd system change
I hope the list does not get long, at least till we get our new 2800

brunomisty

Sundance Owner
Sundance_kid said:
Our Coby gave up the this last trip out. The dealer ordered us a new one so will see what shows up. I'm surprised our microwave is no problem.

Are DVD (Coby) keep freezing to up so we took it to the dealer last Friday and too are waiting for a replacement . Dealer said we should have a new one in several weeks

POPN4U

Colby DVD system

Well, we are currently on our 3rd Colby DVD. Each time we would use it about 1/2 way thru the movie, it would freeze up. Our dealer has replaced the unit no questions asked, but it's a bother. We just received our 3rd unit and have not yet used it. If this one doesn't work, I think it's time to call heartland.:confused:

BJ'sDad

I hate to say this, since there's no nice way to say it, but if you're expecting good results from the Coby system, it probably isn't going to happen:eek:

Mine froze up on my first outing and aggravated me to no end. That plus the fact I like to listen to music when I'm not watching TV, and the Coby won't hold a station preset if you change modes or turn it off, I made up my mind to replace it with something better and not worry about trying to get a replacement.

I bought a Samsung home theater system for the house and liked the sound quality, so I went to Circuit City and bought a Samsung system (with 5 speakers plus sub woofer) for the Sundance. I didn't have room in the entertainment center for the 5 disc system like I have at home, so I got the single disc model. Once in a great while it will still freeze up, but I think that is more a disc problem and not the fault of the player, but the sound quality more than makes up for the occasional frreze up.

Since mine is a 3012RE I had plenty of room on top of the entertainment center to mount 3 of the speakers on top of the cabinet, replaced the sub woofer and now I'm looking for a pair of flush ceiling mount speakers to replace the OEM ones.

I might be the only one that feels this way, but I wish Heartland would take the lead and install only the wiring and high end speakers in their units and let the buyers decide which brand of DVD player they want. The heart of any system is ultimately the speakers and a DVD player on it's own is relatively cheap. They could just install a AM/FM/CD player such as they do on the Cyclones and let the buyers decide on which brand of DVD player they want.