What are you looking for in RV storage

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I have a buddy making plans for an RV storage building. He's been asking what I would like to see in a rental unit so I thought I would post this and get your thoughts. basically he's thinking 14x50 ft bays with a 12' wide and 14' overhead door.

How important would a pull through be compared to backing in.
What about a standard overhead door at one end? You could pull in un-hitch and drive out but would still need to back the trailer out.

Is a heated unit important

I'd like to see 16' wide so I can open my slides and pull through would be nice but if he goes that way he can only do one building.

Anything else you would like see?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Jimmy

Mine is 20 feet wide, so that everything can be opened, including the awning for drying etc.

danemayer

Who wouldn't prefer pull-through? If there were 2 facilities, one with pull-through, the other requiring either back-in or back-out, I'd choose pull-through. If back-up were required, I'm not sure that back-out has any more appeal than back-in.

A dump station and a place to wash the rig would be nice.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Monitored/on-site security. If I were to pay the high rental fee for indoor storage, with the amenities mentioned, I'd like to know it isn't going to keep the thieves comfy while they empty the rig.

I'd also vote for pull-thru, along with some sort of delineation of the spaces (curbs, posts, etc.) so others don't migrate into your area. Clear definition in the contract as to exactly what you can and cannot do or store there.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
How can a storage unit be back out without it being a pull through? If you pull head in to the storage and unhook how can you turn around the TV and then pull the TV out? Only could be a back out if you don't unhook right?

skyguy

Hi Dave!
I have said my next (last?) house would have to allow for pull through. That said, if you don't have the space, and it meant no room for me, then I could continue to back in, as I have done next to our house for umpteen years.
Minimum enough room to put out the doorside slide, then I could maneuver throughout.
Plusses would be large enough for all slides out, electricity, sewage, heat (at least enough to keep above freezing)
And maybe a regular door so I wouldn't have to raise the fuul door just to enter/exit. Skylight?

Say hi to Amy for us!

Al

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Backing into a dark building is near impossible. You can see the opening and the side clearance of the doors but without some sort of interior lighting, you can't see to know you're backing straight in. Guide strips on the outside ground are helpful.
I'm guessing this is going to be a rental facility? Your buddy will of course have to do the math to determine the profitability of 1 pull thru building vs. 2. back ins with lighting. My choice would be based on monthly cost. I can always bring a couple friends with big rechargeable spotlights.