That red light switch

TNEagle

I have a 2011 3950 that I'm taking on the road for the first time next week. Picked it up last Oct. and can't remember what the young man told me this red switch located under the TV in the kitchen was for. My first quess is the water heater but then I have that on the main control console by the door. I tried the water heater without turning on this switch and it works fine. Is this possibly for the TV booster?:confused:

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If it looks like a residential light switch and lights up red, it is for running the water heater on 120V electric (lower left corner of first photo). The small one on the right of the monitor panel is for running it on propane (second photo). On the outside face of the water heater is a small black switch (third photo). That needs to be in the on position in order to run the water heater on electric. Once you turn that switch on, there is no need to turn it off. Just use the red switch inside. You can run it simultaneously on electric (120V) and propane to heat it faster. Just be certain that the tank is full of water BEFORE trying to run it on electric, or you will burn out the element. Not expensive to replace, but a bit of a PITA.

Normally, the switch for the TV antenna amplifier is a small red button that lights a red LED. It is also where your cable connection is for the TV. That may be in the bedroom, near the position for the TV in there.

View attachment 13537.View attachment 13538.View attachment 13539

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sure would be much easier for the consumer if the switches were labeled to prevent confusion. Isn't this something the factory could easily do?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sure would be much easier for the consumer if the switches were labeled to prevent confusion. Isn't this something the factory could easily do?

Must be something they missed (or discontinued). My interior W/H switch is labelled, as are the ceiling fan and awning receptacle switches.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

Might be model unique, but all the switches in my Landmark are labelled.

Jimmy

Unit should have come with a sheet of "sticker labels" that the dealer installs, they may be with your manual...

Last edited:

jpajax

It looks like that Heartland could put together a diagrammer/ instruction sheet that is just for that particular model and year. That list were these important switch's are and what they control and what sequence to use them with PHOTOS. I think it would helpful for the consumer because you can not take all that info. in that sort of time that you have your pdi and walk through. I know that they are a packet that comes with the unit but it is not very helpful when you are trying to find that switch or how it works and were they put it.

TNEagle

Thank you! Great answer. So if I have the electric and gas on at the same time, does that mean the electric maintains the temp until water is used and then the gas kicks in?

branson4020

Icantre Member
Thank you! Great answer. So if I have the electric and gas on at the same time, does that mean the electric maintains the temp until water is used and then the gas kicks in?
There's no coordination between the gas and electric elements. Its a toss-up which one comes on when maintaining temp. If you draw on the hot water and drop the temp, they will both come on so you get faster recovery.

TNEagle

Do you notice any savings on propane by having both on? How much longer does it normally take for the electric to reheat vs the gas?

branson4020

Icantre Member
I don't notice much difference between the time it takes on propane vs. electric. Of course, if we're not paying for electricity we use the electric exclusively.

TNEagle

I spoke to a Heartland customer service guy today and he said not to have both gas & electric on at the same time.

MC9

The customer service guy should have been to the seminar at the rally when the water htr vendor said "no problem".

71stang99

That was what I posted when I received my 300C, the documentation is lacking and needs to be updated. I muddled through it as I've owned a TT before but some of the stuff I didnt the forum helped me out.

Not all of my switches were labled nor did I have a 'sticker sheet'

truknutt

Committed Member

TN,

If you need hot water really fast then run your propane when you first get to camp. After the water gets up to operating temp, then switch to electric. The heater will maintain the temp and keep up with your usage. This is all based upon you camping at a site with electricity; if you're dry camping then of course you'll just use propane.