Trailair Tri-Glide from Rally

ihsolutions

A couple days before the rally I had an appointment at Lippert to have springs replaced (again), wet bolts installed, and JT Strongarms installed. I was on the fence regarding the Tri-glide hitch offered at a discount to rally attendees.

While at the rally I noticed how many people had them and several people were generously helping others install theirs while on the campsite. After hearing all the great reviews, by Friday I just had to have one and called up Lippert to see if I could pick one up! Lippert was unable to install it, understandably. So I took it with me. Then I had to go pick up the capture plate to make it work with my Pullrite Superglide hitch. I am really sick and tired of buying capture plates for this thing. This is my third one.

Sunday night when I got home I installed it. I had to lightly grind away some excess weld bead around my pin box receiver (not sure what it's called) and the new pin box itself, in order to get the bolt holes to line up.

Once I got it installed I noticed how much further back the trailer sits than it did with the stock pinbox. The back of the box (where the junction box for the electrical is) isn't too far from the tailgate of the truck! I was worried that when the hitch rotated back while turning it would hit the side of the bed, but so far so good. Let's just say it's closer than I'd like it to be.

My review on this product is mixed. It does seem to dampen the ride somewhat but due to it being further back, it creates the feeling (and fact, I think) that the pin weight is actually higher due to leverage. It feels like I'm now pulling a heavier trailer. Does this make any sense?

With the superglide hitch I'd rather have the front of the trailer much closer to the truck. It's way too far back now, especially considering that the hitch does the work of moving the trailer back while turning, to create additional clearance from the cab.

I guess I'm a little disappointed so far and regretting the purchase for my application. Maybe I just need a new truck? Dually? If any of you can convince my wife, your next beer is on me! :)

GOTTOYS

I believe there are a couple different length Tri-Glides. Mine fits the same as the std one I took off. I need to grind a little also to get mine one hole higher and lower the front. In my case it rides much nicer but I do have some chucking most likely the result of the nose being too high. If you need another capture plate for your collection I now have an extra also for a 1621 box...Don

ihsolutions

Thanks Don, I already have the quick capture plate for the 1621 box. I also have the "universal" capture plate which has only fit ONE trailer that I've owned.

I've got the L05 Trailair, which is supposed to be the proper replacement for the 1621HD lippert box. I too am a touch nose-high but can't raise the pin box any more. Which means I have to run less pressure in my truck's air bags which means more bouncing. It's probably a great product but in my particular application it seems problematic.

khalsey

The shorter Trail Air is the M15 which is about 8 inches shorter. I have a long bed truck so I switched the LO5 for the M15 about 3 years ago. With the Superglide the M15 should work for you.

ihsolutions

Hmmm... This is what happens when I make an impulse purchase. I simply told Kelly (at Lippert) that I wanted the Tri-glide to replace my Lippert 1621HD. I ended up with the L05. I wonder if they would switch it out for me when Jerry comes out to my house in the next few weeks to replace my springs (yes, again!). It's hard to get mad at the Lippert folks cause they have been wonderful to work with and have bent over backwards for me (literally).

ihsolutions

Well I finally went out to take some measurements. The Trail-air Tri-Glide (L05) is about 3" longer than my Lippert 1621HD. Maybe a little longer than that, it's hard to tell without hitching up because of the angle on the tri glide when not connected to truck.

Long story short I really don't like the current setup with the tri-glide. Jerry (from Lippert) has to come out to my house in the next few weeks so I'm going to see if Lippert will change out my new tri-glide for one better suited to my combo. Even if it's shorter than the 1621HD it should still work, cause I have a lot of clearance. Oh how I long for a simple non-sliding hitch! It's enormously complicated when making changes like this.

porthole

Retired
Some thoughts. I have had both a super glide and trail air tri glide.

There are different lengths.
If it is too long you run a real chance of hitting the side of the bed, especially if you have some type of framing for a bed cover.
If too short, you run the real chance of having to have a second person operate your tailgate for you while you unhitch and hitch.

The super glide is great, but lowering it in the truck is not an option * unless * you happen to have the increased height pins. Are you using the super rails? Do you have the standard height pins?

I had no problems with height on my GMC short bed with the super glide and trail air. My GMC was a 2500 with air bags.

ihsolutions

Hi Duane,

I do have the super rails. I also have the standard height pins. With the Trail air pinbox mounted all the way up as high as it will go, I'm still a little nose-high, compared to being perfect with the Lippert box.

I also do have a hard folding bed cover that has rails mounted on the top of the truck's rails. I am very concerned there will be a collision between them and the pinbox at some point.

porthole

Retired
Backing in to the site at Goshen my hitch hit the bed cover rails, dinged it a little bit. Now I know for the future I need to air up the hitch to get some extra height.

GOTTOYS

Jeff, can you move your hitch forward a couple inches? I don't know how the Super Glide with the Super Rails works. I have the Super Glide that fits on the std. bed rails and I can adjust mine ahead or back a few inches. Just thinking...Don

DW_Gray

I too have the LO5 on my Cyclone. I've been very satisfied with it. Like you, I do tow nose high. Next Tuesday I'm dropping the Cyclone off at Lippert for a lot of upgrades. With the new springs and maybe new axles, I'll have them install the springs in the bottom hole of the brackets to raise the RV up. I noticed at the Heartland factory, the Cyclone springs are now mounted in the middle hole. Hopefully after that I will be able to lower my hitch height a little bit and have everything level and still miss my truck side rails.

Side note: Amy and I met Dale Fenton, the inventor of the Trailair products, yesterday and had a beer together. It was a very interesting conversation.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I too have the LO5 on my Cyclone. I've been very satisfied with it. Like you, I do tow nose high. Next Tuesday I'm dropping the Cyclone off at Lippert for a lot of upgrades. With the new springs and maybe new axles, I'll have them install the springs in the bottom hole of the brackets to raise the RV up. I noticed at the Heartland factory, the Cyclone springs are now mounted in the middle hole. Hopefully after that I will be able to lower my hitch height a little bit and have everything level and still miss my truck side rails.

Side note: Amy and I met Dale Fenton, the inventor of the Trailair products, yesterday and had a beer together. It was a very interesting conversation.

Hey Dave...we'll be at Lippert Tuesday morning also! As for Dale...Yep! We too have had several interesting conversations with him...he's a pistol!!

ihsolutions

Don, my hitch is not adjustable in any way, unfortunately.

I've got a call in to Lippert today to see if they can help me out somehow.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I've got the L05 Trailair, which is supposed to be the proper replacement for the 1621HD lippert box.

I have the L05 on my Bighorn and it works great. While it is about three inches longer than the original setup, I have had no problem with it. I did lower my hitch one hole to compensate for the added nose height but still have good clearence over the truck bed. I had to work a little with different air pressures both on the Triglide and in my Ride Rite airbags to get the proper combination but now I have a great setup. Rides and pulls very nicely and smooth...except of course on those really bad roads, not much you can do about some roads.

ihsolutions

I spoke to Don at Lippert this morning and he said that the L05 is only about 1-2" longer than the 1621HD pinbox I had before. We talked over some options and it sounds like the M19 is the correct tri-glide for my application. It measures 35 11/16" from the center of the rear bolt holes, to the center of the bolt at the top of the shock absorber.

The L05 I currently have is measuring right around 39". So, the three inch reduction should work perfectly. I don't know if they're going to let me swap them, though, he had to check with his manager.

PhilPam

We don't have a leveling problem but we do have a bouncing problem we have a Big Country 3595, what is a good pressure to carry in our trailair?

DW_Gray

We don't have a leveling problem but we do have a bouncing problem we have a Big Country 3595, what is a good pressure to carry in our trailair?

A combination of things affect the amount of air needed such as; the size of the air spring in diameter and height, the pin weight of the coach, the mechanics of the individual hitch, altitude and ambient temperature. Air pressures can range from 20 psi to 120 psi depending on the aforementioned items. The air ride pin box is to be maintained at a predetermined ride height found on the system. We want you to maintain the ride height, not the air pressure. With the truck and trailer coupled, at rest and on level ground, you should have enough air in the bag to open the jaw to a point that the bottom lip of the top shroud on the shock absorber is even with the arrows on the decal that is affixed to the lower body of the shock absorber.

http://www.trailair.com/products/airpin/faq.php

PhilPam

Thank you for the information. We had the pin box installed the monday after the rally and they did not give me any info while there. We guess they were too busy. Hopefully that will help us as we were not real happy with the pinbox.

DW_Gray

Thank you for the information. We had the pin box installed the monday after the rally and they did not give me any info while there. We guess they were too busy. Hopefully that will help us as we were not real happy with the pinbox.

I guess I should add this hint. Tow your RV on level ground a short distance so the the truck and RV level out then adjust the air pressure on the TrailAir. If you have air bags on the truck axle, then adjust the axle air bags first because this will cause a change in the RV travel height.