Next Generation Rally Review

ihsolutions

After reading all the great things about the "back home" Rallies, and Heartland rallies in general, my wife Laurie and I decided we had to give one a try.

Up to this point the only other Heartland owner we know is my best friend Aaron, who is my age and purchased a North Trail last year after my high praise of all Heartland products.

I'm a little shy by nature but not once you get to know me. I was a little concerned that I would be lost in the crowd of 450 people. Not so! At Wednesday night's pot-luck (which was amazing BTW) I almost went into shock when I realized, I am probably a whole generation younger than most (but not all) other owners of Big Horn rigs (I'm 34). I called my wife (who was not there yet) and said, these guys aren't going to want to hang out or sit at our table... what could we possibly have in common?? Well I could not have been more wrong. I have never met such a friendly, energetic, FUN group of people than all you Heartland owners.

In the span of four days I went from barely saying a word the first night, to being mistaken for a Heartland service guy the next day, to playing air drums in front of you all two nights later (NEVER go to the bathroom during a show), to having the honor to say grace before 450 people the last night! (As an aside, mrcomer is right... any comments or questions directed to Jim Beletti will end up with a new job for you!). :) By the end of the rally we had made many friends and can't wait to go back.

I thought I would post this as a separate thread to provide a different perspective from the younger crowd, and hopefully encourage anyone who is on the fence about coming to DO IT! It's a great time, a tremendous value, and an unforgettable experience.

dieselsweetheart

Jeff, what an awesome note and we all appreciate your taking the time to sit down and post it. I met you when you were a runner for the potluck and you said your wife was not with you...she missed a great potluck! You are so right, when we went to Goshen 2 years ago we didn't know a soul except for Jim B. and when we left we had many new friends. I think the love for RVing goes across many generations and it provides us with that commonality... I hope you got some email addresses so you can stay in touch with new friends you have made and plan to go to as many state rallies as you can. Of course the state rallies are smaller and more intimate...just as fun! Enjoy your summer and safe travels!!!

Gaffer

Support your local rallys too. Great way to meet new friends that you will keep running into in your region. We are pretty new to the RV thing this being our first RV. 15 months ago we went to our first rally in Oroville, Ca. Followed by Winchester Bay, Oregon, Solvang, Ca, Yreka, Ca and next week Reno Nevada. Ever since the first one there have always been familar faces when we show up. At rallys you are never a stranger.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jeff, thanks for sharing! We too are a bit younger than the typical crowd... (early 40s). But I am sure our first Rally will not be our last. Looking forward to it! The South Texas Chapter Rally in Canton, TX in October, and hoping we can go to Gilette in 2012.

Erika

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Support your local rallys too. Great way to meet new friends that you will keep running into in your region. We are pretty new to the RV thing this being our first RV. 15 months ago we went to our first rally in Oroville, Ca. Followed by Winchester Bay, Oregon, Solvang, Ca, Yreka, Ca and next week Reno Nevada. Ever since the first one there have always been familar faces when we show up. At rallys you are never a stranger.

Very true PJ. There is always someone who is willing to talk about their rig if nothing else. We get to know each other pretty quickly. It's easy to find out who "click" with and who you don't have much in common with, but age doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

In Yreka last weekend, there was a small rally of Good Sam people. One of them came over to talk about how our club is organized and what the requirements are for having a club at all. He was 84 or 87 or something like that. He was complaining that his club was getting too small because they were dropping out as they got old, so they wouldn't even be allowed to be a club much longer. All I could think about was was offering him a chair. He could barely walk even with his cane.

Anyway, I don't think we will have that problem with the club disappearing because they can't draw new members, but we need to encourage more younger people to get into the club and get their kids involved in RVing too. People who are retired drive the timing of events, because that is the largest demographic for RVs, but we need to keep in mind that it's the younger people who will keep the club alive in the future. We need to have events timed for them and promoted to them with activities that will encourage them to attend and bring their families.

I would hate for the young families just getting started to feel like they have nothing in common with us "old" people, when in fact we have a lot in common.

Kristy

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Jeff, You are spot on! Not to mention an awesome air drummer! I am so glad you enjoyed yourself!

At the New Jersey Rally this year we hosted a Heartland family with a 4 year old child and the children of the staff at Crossroads Trailer Sales were also present on Saturday! It was great to see their little faces when we presented them with rally gift bags prepared especially for them. Everyone looks forward to getting their rally pack! In addition to the kids their younger parents were great to have around too! We really enjoyed Rob breaking his chair and falling on the ground during the volleyball game! I heard a rumor that the chair is in the shop being repaired in preparation for the next rally volleyball game! There truly is no generation gap at a Heartland Rally! We need more just like you and Laurie! Welcome to the Rallyholics Training sessions!