Safety Breakaway Switch

srae

I hope I'm not the only one that has done this but while unhitching my Big Country, the breakaway cable got hung up and pulled out. Can someone instruct me how to reattach and if needed how to reset? Thanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
All you need to do is push the pin back in. Do not leave it out for an extended period.

Peace
Dave

srae

Dave,
I appreciate the quick reply. Hate to ask this, but I could not see where to push it back in. Any directions?

Tom

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Tom, there is more than one style, but they all function the same. The thing on the end of the cable came out from somewhere. Find the hole or slot and push it back in.

Peace
Dave

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
There should be a small box on the side of your tow pin box. On mine it is near the middle of the pin box on the off-door side of the pin box. Don't try putting it back in at night without a good light (don't ask how I know).

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
BTW if you cannot get it in in a timely manner disconnect the battery so it won't damage the brakes as when it is out the brakes have a constant voltage going to them which will run down the battery and possibly damage the magnets.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
BTW if you cannot get it in in a timely manner disconnect the battery so it won't damage the brakes as when it is out the brakes have a constant voltage going to them which will run down the battery and possibly damage the magnets.

That's very good advice from jmgratz.

rebootsemi

There should be a small box on the side of your tow pin box. On mine it is near the middle of the pin box on the off-door side of the pin box. Don't try putting it back in at night without a good light (don't ask how I know).

(Don't ask how I know)) been there done that, ours hooked on something and pulled out going into a RV park, thought I had hit something when the brakes applied, got out looked around didn't see anything got back in tried to move to our spot,,,man this trailer is pulling hard, got out looked again saw that the pin was out,,ok now try and figure out where to plug it back in with the trailer hooked up to the TV.. finally found it and had to lay in the bed on my back to get the thing back in.

hoefler

Disconnecting the battery won't do any good if you have the unit plugged in, as the converter will supply voltage to the whole 2 volt system.