Heartland Edge = Discover Canada Kokanee

GGB

Hi new to this forum, found it by googling for more info on the Kokanee brand of TTs.

DW & I are starting to look at full hard side TT to purchase for next season (not in a big hurry). Currently we own a 2006 Trail Cruise C21RBH and are getting tired of, one climbing over the dinette to get into bed and two the tent end bed.

We have looked at a few TT and have determined what we would like to have in a new trailer (walk around queen bed and bunk beds for the kid, only 3 of us). So far we have looked at the Gulf Stream Visa 23ft models and they seem OK but I am concerned on the wear and tear life span of the interior as the items seem very light weight. Also we like the look of the Kokanee brand by Discover Canada which appears to be actualy an Edge by Hartland (sorry can't post pics yet as I am new to the forum), the only problem is that there is no dealer near us, closest is about 3+ hours away and they do not have the models we would be interested in so only the brochure to look at. Now Buffalo NY is only 2 hours max away from where we live and there is a Hratland dealer there.

What I would like to know from the people in the know (including anyone from the factory) is the Kokanee brand in Canada the same as the Edge in the US. Also the largest model is the M22 which is OK and meets most of our needs the only thing we don't like is that it has a shower and not a tub. We really like the Edge M232 and would perfer it but at this time none in Canada from what I can see. Does anyone know if they will be offering this model in 2012 in Canada?

Sorry for the long first post, I have more questions but this is it for now, I figure get these answers first and then I can post more :eek:.

Thanks all for any and all replies.

Gord

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Hartland Edge = Discover Canada Kokanee

GGB, welcome to the forum. I moved your post into "Ask The Factory" so you will get the correct answers about the model in question.

Peace
Dave

camr

Hi Gord, We purchased a Kokanee M-22 last year. It is almost identical to the Edge. There was an Edge dealer in our city of Winnipeg, and a Kokanee dealer about 90 miles south of the city. Obviously it would have made more sense to purchase the unit at the closest dealer, but when that dealer started mentioning that the trailer contained features such as ducted heat and AC, which it doesn't, we lost confidence. The Kokanee dealer explained that all warranty work was handled through Heartland. The main difference that was explained to us was that the units built for the Canadian company used thicker flooring material that resisted winter cracking. Although I do not know whether this is accurate, but we have not experienced any cracking of flooring material. And as for warranty work, well, the unit has not experienced any issues. We especially like the large slide out. If I could change anything, I would delete the bunks and change the shower to a tub.
As a side note, we looked closely at the Gulfstream Visa line. What scared us away was the use of bias ply tires as standard equipment. Hello, the sixties called. They want their tires back!!!!
Based on our experience, I can whole heartedly recommend the Kokanee/Edge M-22.

GGB

Dave, thank you for the welcome and placing the post in the appropriate section much appreciated. Will waite to see if a factory rep chimes in, from what I have seen here they do :) .

Camr I know what you mean about the bias ply tires, though the dealer we visited stated that he has changed them for some customers and not too great of an extra charge. One reason we looked at the Visa was the composite materials they use compared to the traditional luan type construction of most other trailers and delamination issues of luan type trailers. I personally experienced dealm on a pop-up (Coleman) that I owned in 1999 and also on our current traler. Lucky I still had warranty on both so the issues were fixed at no cost to me. My wife really likes the look of the Edge and we are planning on taking a trip to Buffalo next weekend to check them out. I prefer buying locally and if we see that the M-22 floorplan will suite us (depending on the shower size) we may go with it, but if the M-232 is better for us and not offered in Cnada then I may have to buy from the US. We will wait and see what info we get back.

Again thanks for the welcome.

jimtoo

Hi GGB,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the Heartland Family. We have a great bunch of people here and all willing to share their knowledge if needed. So ask your questions and join our family.

Jim M

GGB

Jim

Thanks for the welcome. This is one of the best sites so far on how people are welcomed compared to some that I don't frequent as often anymore due to posters aditudes.

My question to anyone from the factory still stands on if they can tell me (I know sometimes they can not let things out of the bag too early) if the Edge floorplan M-232 will be offered in Canada through the Discover Canada Kokanee Express line?

Second question for them are there any Hartland Edge dealers in Ontario, I know of a few Hartland dealers that sell the larger TT brands & 5th wheel TTs but no Edge.

Thanks for all the replys so far, great site that I am going to enjoy being part of.

irvin56

I would ask the dealer if he could bring one in for you, he sells heartland now, or ask him what him dealer in the area sells them. The dealers know who's selling what in the trailer buisness.

GGB

I would ask the dealer if he could bring one in for you,.......what dealer....sells them. ....dealers know who's selling what.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did enquire with the local dealer and he can not get the Edge product only the larger TT & 5th Wheels that Discover Canada does not sell. Apparently it is an agreement they have with Hartland (that is what he tells me) ?? I have checked with 2 other dealers in Ontario that are relatively close to where I live and they also stated that they can not get the Edge line of trailers?

If this is all true (as I have not heard from a factory rep yet) then I am left with 2 options. One is to by a Discover Canad Kokanee Express line (basically Edge line) the M22 model. Two is to buy from the US and bring it back and the dealer near me stated that if I buy in US he would service it as he does not sell the Edge line but is a Hartland dealer therefore could deal with the warranty stuff and other stuff once warranty was gone.

One thing that I am seeing on the Hartland web site is that they are not showing the M232 model anymore, has this been discontinued??

Thanks all for the replys so far.

Gord

CCRPDR

We live in Cambridge and our dealer is Leisure Days RV in Ayr Ontario they have all sorts of Edge trailers hope this helps

The Raymond Clan