packing the bearings

I have just pulled all four drums and repacked the bearings and istalled new Grease seals. The spindels came with a grease fitting. Someone told me I should add aditional grease as well as the repack. I'm concerned that took much grease can cause problems. Is there a rule of trumbs?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I personally do not use those Easy Lubes. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them, I just choose to repack by hand.
If you elect to pump grease in there, you must have the wheel off the ground and have it spinning while you give it a couple pumps of grease.

Peace
Dave

hoefler

If you have hand packed the bearings, it is unnecessary to pump any additional grease into the spindle. There is no additional benefit and is just a waste of grease and time.

hcriddle

I had mine repacked before leaving Goshen at the shop that was recommended by Glen Null from Dexter. They are a certified Dexter shop and they repacked the bearings by hand and he also pumped grease into the spindle before putting the cap back on. He said he preferred to have them full before putting them back together.

Just for anyone up in that area or traveling through, they repacked all the bearings, replaced the seals, inspected the suspension system and adjusted the brakes for under $200. Friendly and knowledgeable folks and they answered all my questions. They also told me that all the Dexter brake parts are interchangeable with the Lippert brakes I have on mine.

The name of the shop is Mo-Trailers in Goshen.

lwmcguir

I had mine repacked before leaving Goshen at the shop that was recommended by Glen Null from Dexter. They are a certified Dexter shop and they repacked the bearings by hand and he also pumped grease into the spindle before putting the cap back on. He said he preferred to have them full before putting them back together.

Just for anyone up in that area or traveling through, they repacked all the bearings, replaced the seals, inspected the suspension system and adjusted the brakes for under $200. Friendly and knowledgeable folks and they answered all my questions. They also told me that all the Dexter brake parts are interchangeable with the Lippert brakes I have on mine.

The name of the shop is Mo-Trailers in Goshen.

That is the right way to do it. Never leave the spindle passage empty. Ran these since they were invented and alway have pumped grease in them.

ultrafarmer

That is the way I did it too. It took a lot of grease to fill it, but I kept watching it and they all filled about the same. I am in AK. now and not a lick of trouble 4,000 miles as of now. And my new Maxxis tires are working great too......I put Indian head shellack on the seals when I pressed them in so the pumping of the grease would not have a chance to push it back out into the breaks ......

Willym

It's my preference not to pack the whole hub. If you pack the bearings by hand properly or with a bearing packer, and intend to continue doing that way, then there really is no need to pack the whole hub and grease passageway. It's just a waste of grease. Whenever I have repacked bearings, I have always observed that only the grease within the bearing gets discoloured. The grease in the hub that is outside the bearing always looks as good as new. I discussed this with the Dexter Tech at the rally and he concurred. Also if you consider sealed bearings, then you can appreciate how little grease a bearing actually needs.
On boat trailers that see axle immersion, then packing the whole hub with grease is a good idea to keep water out.

traveler44

The only reason I can see to pack grease in the middle of the hub would be for it to melt and run out if a bearing was failing. I just repacked my bearings again and that gives me a chance to look at the brakes and they don't look very worn for two years use. Maybe they will quit squealing with proper adjustment. Tom M.

bwbrewco

Hi Tonypat, Picked my 2011 2800rl in Oct and on the 2hr. trip home the brakes seemed awfully mushy. When we got home, the next day I pulled the wheels and brake drums and found all the wheels seals were blown because of a over zealous factory fella with a grease gun. Drums and shoes totally coated with grease! Personally I prefer to pack the bearings once a year by hand!

caissiel

I had the same problem with my unit, the magnets were all greased and the linings were clean though and I was experiencing wheel locking. 2 pushed out seals and 2 seals had leaked grease.

The only way to grease these hubs is buy rotating the hubs and in some instructions its never noted and on the Dexter instruction its the last instruction that anyone could miss.

All my friends were instructed to pump a few shot of grease once in a while and to me its a complete no no. Better do no greasing then take a chance to pump grease in the brake area. I used the grease gun method to reinstall my hubs and I trust that by rotating the wheels I greased the hubs properly because i never use any pressure on the grease gun to grease my wheels. Any increase in pressure would have lead the grease through the easiest route through the inside seals.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
In addition to hand packing the bearings, the only thing I do is coat the entire spindle with a layer of grease. I never have packed it full.