How did everybody come out on the scales?

GOTTOYS

I had my rig weighed at the Goshen Rally. All my weights were under except I am 1,100# over on my rear axle. I was told this is pretty common and not to worry about it. So, I'm not worried about it. Just wondered how everybody else came out?..Don

danemayer

Ours Rushmore came in at 15,000#, 1000# under the gross rating on the label. Pin weight is 3000# (generator, washer/dryer and full basement add a lot of pin weight) which is the max rating for the hitch. The pin weight along with us and everything else in the truck just maxes out the rear axle rating on the truck.

Interesting that they said not to worry about being 1100# over on your rear axle.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Our BH came in at 14525 lbs., with a pin weight of 2950. All of my numbers were safely under the maximums except for the left front tire of the truck. They told me to bump the pressure up from the 66 psi I was running to 70 or 75 psi to get it into the green, when towing. That one tire was overloaded by 45 lbs. running at 66 psi. They can go as high as 80 psi. I'm almost 1000 lbs. under the GCWR.

floridarandy

This is an important, but seemingly confusing, subject. I'm not an expert but I have read all I can get my hands on. DW_Gray (Dave), on our board, has an excellent worksheet that really helped me. Mine is attached and you can find it here. Dave's website has it all and is Excellent. It's here:

As I understand it there are a series of critical weights:

1. Does your 5ver's loaded weight exceed the max weight of the 5ver's axles and tires;
2. Does your 5ver's weight as it rests on your tow vehicle exceed the weight your hitch can bear (pin weight)
3. Does the pin weight of your 5ver as it rests on your tow vehicle exceed the rear axle's max load
4. Does the pin weight of your 5ver as it rests on your tow vehicle exceed the front axle's max load
5. Does the pin weight of your 5ver as it rests on your tow vehicle, together with the weight of you and your stuff & fuel in the tow vehicle, plus the weight of the vehicle by itself exceed the vehicles GVWR
6. Does the combined weight of your loaded 5ver and loaded vehicle exceed the truck's Gross Combined Weight Rating

That's a lot of stuff and in reality all numbers should be equal to or less than these maximums. In Dave's print out you can see all of this in the bottom part of the report labeled Safety Margin vs (Overload). On ours you'll note that we are within all maximum EXCEPT for Truck Gross Vehicle Weight (#5 above). So what does this mean to me....as I understand it:

1. My 5 ver is OK (1980 lbs less than max) as it rolls down the road
2. My 15k hitch is well within its carrying limit
2. My truck's weight on axle's, front and rear, is OK by 310 and 60 lbs respectively....that's close to 0 by my book
3. My truck is overloaded by 1180 lbs when it has to carry me, DW, our stuff, fuel and the load of the trailer transfered across the pin. Now, since the F250's engine is the same as the F550's there's obviously no problem with power pulling the load. I've added airbags to help level the load, but frankly, that 1180 lbs is over what my truck was designed to STOP....and 1180 lbs over what my truck's frame and suspension was designed to CONTROL.

So, do I drive it down the road...yes. Am I extra careful on the distance I keep from vehicles around me....yes. Do I try and watch what I carry in hopes that I can shave something off that 1180....yes, but I also keep buying more stuff to carry too. Does that mean I'm OK....no....and I think about it every time I'm out on the road. I only wish I knew what I know now when I bought my truck...I shoulda got an F350 and probably could have for the same money I spent. Does it mean I'm in good company...from what I can tell I'd guess many, if not the majority, of 5vers running down the road are over in 1 or more categories.

So, be honest with yourself. Be smart if your buying a new truck or 5ver. Be extra careful if you already own one that's over. Sure, there may be lots of us overloaded on the road but that doesnt' make it a safer place!

OH....and one more thing. I am still looking forward to getting the side to side weights on my 5ver....although I'm below on all the gross numbers I wouldn't be surpised to see one side or the other heavier than the other. On our rig the door side has a slide with the fridge and all our food, pots and pans, etc. I do get more tire wear on this side so I wouldn't be surprised if it was heavier....too heavy for the tires? Time will tell....

Attachments

• Randy%20Weights[1].pdf
    81.7 KB · Views: 69

danemayer

OH....and one more thing. I am still looking forward to getting the side to side weights on my 5ver....although I'm below on all the gross numbers I wouldn't be surpised to see one side or the other heavier than the other. On our rig the door side has a slide with the fridge and all our food, pots and pans, etc. I do get more tire wear on this side so I wouldn't be surprised if it was heavier....too heavy for the tires? Time will tell....

Our Rushmore has the very large kitchen/living room sofa slide, and the bedroom slide, and the kitchen counter/appliances all on the off-door side. Not surprisingly, the scales showed the off-door side is quite a bit heavier. Rear wheel on that side is 600# heavier than the door side. But it's still within limits if the tires are inflated to 110#, which is what the sidewall calls for.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I had my rig weighed at the Goshen Rally. All my weights were under except I am 1,100# over on my rear axle. I was told this is pretty common and not to worry about it. So, I'm not worried about it. Just wondered how everybody else came out?..Don

First, which rear axle truck or trailer? Second, who said it was OK? Either one, in my opinion, is NOT OK...

Too much on the rear trailer axle, and you WILL have tire and axle issues...too much on the rear truck axle and you again will have tire and probably control issues...JMHO.

If it's the rear trailer axle you need to lower the front of the trailer on the pin to "throw" part of that weight forward to the other axle...if it's the truck...you might want to start looking for another truck...

dglatta

If it's the rear trailer axle you need to lower the front of the trailer on the pin to "throw" part of that weight forward to the other axle...if it's the truck...you might want to start looking for another truck...

Hoo boy, Don! Can I watch when you tell Kathy you need a new truck??

GOTTOYS

First, which rear axle truck or trailer? Second, who said it was OK? Either one, in my opinion, is NOT OK...

Too much on the rear trailer axle, and you WILL have tire and axle issues...too much on the rear truck axle and you again will have tire and probably control issues...JMHO.

It would be pretty hard to get an extra 1100 pounds onto the rear axle of the trailer when the axles are that close together. My only problem is that my pin weight is too high. My rear tires are not overloaded, my combined gross weight is under my limit, my maximum trailer weight per the manufacturers recommendation is under the limit. My truck is a 2500 series not a 3500 series. I bought it because the licensing requirements on a 3500 would prevent me from being able to drive on several of the parkways in and around my community. The only difference between a 3500 series Ram and my 2500 series Ram is one leaf on the rear springs and the weight sticker on the door. Everything else is the same. I can easily add that one extra leaf to my rear spring pack if I feel it's an issue. The people that operate the scales said they see this condition all the time and not to be concerned. It tows beautifully. I have run approximately 4,500 trouble free miles so far this year. My tires do not overheat, (I have a laser thermometer to check them) no sway issues, rides well. Dodges are notorious for using conservative weight ratings. I don't plan on buying a new truck anytime soon..Don

scotty

If the truth be known almost all of us, I'm gulity as well, that are towing these big Heartlands with single rear wheels trucks are over on GVWR. Now, my BH 3400RL ready to camp hit the scales at 11140 on the axles and the 6060 on the truck rear axle. My Trucks GVWR is 9900. Truck, full tank of fuel, me and all gear weights 7900, (4560 on front and 3340 on rear). So with 9900 GVWR minus 7900 leaves me 2000 allowable on the tongue. So with the trailor ready to camp she was putting 2,720 on the truck (pin weight). So at that I was 720 over on the GVWR. Trailor weighted 13,820. total. Over on the 20K GCVW by 1,600 Lbs. That's with a 1 ton SWR. Under on rear axle GAWR by 340 Lbs. Yes, most if not all in this catagory push the limits. Granted I was loaded for full time travel and have since reduced the trailor weigh some, but even empty the BH hits the scales at 12,400 and with 2,600 on the tongue. Never buy off on the advertised pin and empty trailor weights. LOL

danemayer

I looked at the 2010 Dodge 3500 SRW and liked it until I asked to see the specs on towing capacity and payload. Towing capacity was great. Payload was slightly more than on the 2500 (consistent with the comment about 1 spring being the difference). Ford and GM 1 ton SRWs have much higher payload. They may have changed in for 2011 models - don't know. And if you look up the specs online or in a brochure, make sure you're not looking at the DRW model. It's very hard to find the SRW numbers in the Dodge specs.

brianharrison

What temperature is to hot for tires?

This is a quote off the Bridgestone Truck tire website:

"A very general rule of thumb is that a properly inflated/loaded tire, when up to operating temperature - one hour or more of operation - will typically run about 60 degrees F hotter than the ambient temperature. Anything above 200 degrees F could lead to tire degradation."

I have followed a similar guideline for tire temperatures on my vehicles.

Take care,
Brian

hcriddle

I was under on every tire both truck and trailer. But I am over weight on GVWR by 1925lbs and GCWR by 1600lbs. Everything else was very well balanced and looked really good. Now if I can just use this information to justify that new truck.

Dale Smith

I was in good shape on all concerns, except for the truck rear axle. I was approximately 600 pounds over on this axle.

Our weight on the trailer axles was approximately 1000 pounds under the maximum.

I seem to be transferring a lot of weight to the rear truck axle. I am still waiting for my final full report, which will probably tell me a few more details.

Our 2011, 3055 Bighorn has the built-in generator in the front and two Kwikee slide trays in the large storage compartment. I am considering removing the smaller size slide tray to reduce that weight. I will then look at going through all of my storage items and doing a serious purge to help reduce that rear axle weight.

There are a number of things that I carry that are related to our winter home in Arizona, and I could easily store these out of the trailer until such time as we were ready to travel to the South.

I will then analyze more once I get the full report.

Dale Smith

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
It would be pretty hard to get an extra 1100 pounds onto the rear axle of the trailer when the axles are that close together. My only problem is that my pin weight is too high. My rear tires are not overloaded, my combined gross weight is under my limit, my maximum trailer weight per the manufacturers recommendation is under the limit. My truck is a 2500 series not a 3500 series. I bought it because the licensing requirements on a 3500 would prevent me from being able to drive on several of the parkways in and around my community. The only difference between a 3500 series Ram and my 2500 series Ram is one leaf on the rear springs and the weight sticker on the door. Everything else is the same. I can easily add that one extra leaf to my rear spring pack if I feel it's an issue. The people that operate the scales said they see this condition all the time and not to be concerned. It tows beautifully. I have run approximately 4,500 trouble free miles so far this year. My tires do not overheat, (I have a laser thermometer to check them) no sway issues, rides well. Dodges are notorious for using conservative weight ratings. I don't plan on buying a new truck anytime soon..Don

That's not necessarily so...when we first weighed individual tires two years ago, we had over 600lbs more on the rear trailer axle. Even though you really couldn't see it, we were definitely pin high, and had to readjust the hitch and pinbox to bring it back to level. We weighed again and had the two axles on the trailer within 25lbs of each other.

I am very surprised that anyone involved in weighing RV's would tell you "not to worry" about being overweight, especially on the rear axle of the truck....kinda defeats the whole purpose of weighing your rig???

floridarandy

That's not necessarily so...when we first weighed individual tires two years ago, we had over 600lbs more on the rear trailer axle. Even though you really couldn't see it, we were definitely pin high, and had to readjust the hitch and pinbox to bring it back to level. We weighed again and had the two axles on the trailer within 25lbs of each other.

I am very surprised that anyone involved in weighing RV's would tell you "not to worry" about being overweight, especially on the rear axle of the truck....kinda defeats the whole purpose of weighing your rig???

I think sometimes we ask to be told its OK to be overweight. In my case I wish I had the truck buy to do overagain but its done and i'm not able to make the change any time soon. I think its important to understand that I AM overweight and attempt to mitigate it by watching what I add in terms of weight, pay particular attention to tire care and drive every mile understanding that I need to be extra cautious. What bothers me most is to be going down the road at my typical 62 mph and have an overweight rig blow past me at 75 mph. Or the guy at the campground recently who had obvious damage from a blown 5ver tire who'd transferred the 5 year old spare to the blown tire location and bought 1 new spare!

Willym

TST sets the minimum low pressure at 157* for their tempeture on the TPMS.
I wouldn't put too much stock into the temperature read out on valve mounted sensors. They are such a long way from the tyre that they don't represent rubber temperature very well at all.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
And keep in mind that the tires on the sunny side of the rig will be warmer than the shady side. I check mine with an infrared thermometer and see temps 30-40 degrees hotter in the sun. Shocking until you check the others on that side and see consistent temperatures.

dalspot

We had our new Sundance 3300QS and F-350 weighed this weekend - here are the results:

Truck only weights with two passengers, full tank of fuel and Duraliner bed liner:

Steering Axle: 4820
Rear Axle: 3080
Gross Weight: 7900

Truck, plus 3300QS (with dual pane windows; single 15000 btu AC; fireplace; tv), Curt 5K slider hitch, two passengers, full tank of fuel, weekend worth of "stuff" and full fresh water tank:

Steering Axle: 4880
Rear Axle: 5580
Trailer Axle: 10080
CGVW: 20540