soap for Splendid washer drier combo?

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
DW just got a Splendide washer drier combo, and she is wondering what soap works the best? Is it necessary to purchase the Splendide soap mentioned in the literature, or will any good high efficiency detergent soap work. From reading the info that came with the machine, it seems to be important to use a High Efficiency soap. What works the best? Thank you.

Riverman

Avoid the HE liquid if you can.
Using the HE powder will keep your machine from eventually giving off some foul odors - so we have found

caissiel

We have been using Liquid Tide for high efficiency machines and Downy fabric softner for 6 years with no problem and use the machine's directions on quantity.

DougS

Doug S
We have been using the Purex Complete 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets, seems to work for us, and no chance of spilling anything on the rug. These sheets have detergent, softener, and anti-static.

rmeyer

We have been using the Splendide soap for 6 years. Found it was cheaper in some cases than other HE powder soap.

brianharrison

Consumer Reports tests show Kirkland Signature Environmentally Friendly HE (Costco) is a recommended buy - good performance for low cost. We have used it for a number of years. I think the Gain Original Fresh HE also rated high in the last review of HE detergents.

Take care,
Brian

Edit: Tide 2X Ultra with Color Clean Bleach Alternative HE performed the best in CR tests (1/3 higher cost per load though compared to Gain)

porthole

Retired
I am still on the first box of Splendide soap I picked up when getting the trailer. Don't see any reason to switch. I expect what we have left to last at least into next year.
BTW, use fabric softener, we use Downy. And a suggestion, run the machine on wash only, pull the clothes out and shake, then put them back in for a dry cycle.
We found it just works better then letting it run from dirty and dry to clean and dry.

The spin cycle (1200 rpm) can really tangle and wrinkle your stuff.

I use the dryer almost every day, throw the wet towels in from the shower.

Willym

We have been using Liquid Tide for high efficiency machines and Downy fabric softner for 6 years with no problem and use the machine's directions on quantity.

We also use liquid Tide and cold wash always with good results. Go easy on the fabric softener though.

MauriceM

Why should we not use liquid washing detergent and powder instead? I've never heard of that. I have a HE like the LG washer and dryer at home too and we use liquid HE washing detergent and Downy fabrics softener or sheets. I've never had a problem with them in the four years I've owned them.

Last edited: