ATF: MPG - Separation of pop-out tent platform mpg185t

Dalymo

Pop out tent on MPG 185TWe are brand new MPG 185T owners by 2 days and currently enroute the 1400 miles back to Atlantic Canada from Ohio. We love the camper but have run into a major problem with the pop- out tent unit. Once we hook in the two outside support poles from the rear bumper up to the drop-down platform that extends outside the back of the camper, that platform is forced (by the pressure applied by the support poles pushing up and out on the external platform) to separate from the platform that remains inside the camper. It separates right at hinged joint that normally would adjoin the two platforms to form one solid "box spring" (for lack of a better word) and there is no way it will stay together with the pressure forcing it apart from the support posts below. Certainly, no one would be able to lie on it. We struggled with it for a long time before deciding to sleep on the dinette surround sofa the first night in the camper on our trip home which wasn't our intention although it was a comfortable sleep! At RV Wholesalers recommendation we will visit a dealer on our way home to see if they can identify the cause of this problem. This isn't something we were expecting to have to be doing within the first couple days of buying our first ever camper and especially on a trip that we had a tight travel schedule. Are you able to provide some insight into this problem?

185T-WA

I notice that this is a couple of months old. Did you ever get a resolution? We just bought a new 185T and have not had any issues with the bed in the tent. I was wondering if you got poles that were too shorty or something or if the hinge area in the center was not held in correctly. I have a quick question too. The brackets for the poles are held in by screws into the top of the rear bumper. These hang down an inch inside and dont let the rear bumper be used to hold the sewer hose. Is yours like that? I will try to get the dealer to fix them by welding them on or something.

eric

Dalymo

Re: ATF: MPG - Separation of pop-out tent platform mpg185t - PROBLEM FIXED!

I notice that this is a couple of months old. Did you ever get a resolution? We just bought a new 185T and have not had any issues with the bed in the tent. I was wondering if you got poles that were too shorty or something or if the hinge area in the center was not held in correctly. I have a quick question too. The brackets for the poles are held in by screws into the top of the rear bumper. These hang down an inch inside and dont let the rear bumper be used to hold the sewer hose. Is yours like that? I will try to get the dealer to fix them by welding them on or something.

eric
Hi Eric,
I haven't checked in with the forum for months with our trailer having been in storage since Oct. But we are pleased to say that our BIG problem did get fixed. The whole bed platform needed to be replaced as the entire hinged area across the centre of the two sections had detached from the platform forming to separate pieces.
Kudos to the warranty person we dealt with at Heartland (who promptly responded to my original post on this forum) and the Heartland dealer in Halifax, Nova Scotia (our home province) - Fraserway RVs - as they were excellent with us and got things done quickly. The bed manufacturer (Lippert) shipped up a new platform and Fraserway techs did the install and we were able to get some great trips - and sleeps!- in over the summer and fall since.
And yes, we had the same problem with too long screws in bumper and so had them cut off so they didn't protrude down into sewer hose area.
We love our MPG! Happy 185Ting...
Dalymo

jimtoo

Re: ATF: MPG - Separation of pop-out tent platform mpg185t - PROBLEM FIXED!

Hi Dalymo,

Thanks for updating the thread about your problem. Heartland does try to help in every way they can.

Jim M