What Size Do I Need?

bighorn3370

I need to check the the torque on my u-bolts. I put a 3/4" socket on the nut, and it's a little loose. Then I tried a 19mm socket, and it was also a little loose. Am I missing something? I know they need to be torqued to 65 ft-lbs. Thanks! -Ernie

SilverRhino

3/4" socket works just fine on the u-bolts of our BC. Never had any issues with stripping or the socket feeling loose. The way mine are I need to use a standard socket on most but a deep socket on two of them.

Travel Safe!

TeJay

Ernie,
I hope you've got a lot of sockets with you. My u-bolts were 3/4". If that was loose 11/16" is one size down and 17-mm is virtually the same as 11/16". It's been my experience if a socket just barely goes on but not quite then it's probably rounded a little. When that happens I fit a wrench on two good sides to determine the exact size then I drive an impact socket over the rounded nut to straighten the sides. That works. I know you're just not getting the right socket to fit. It's to bad that they mix and match sizes on almost and mechanical device that you purchase.
I don't know if you use lock-tight but when I'm putting bolts like those back on I always use it. I just feel a little safer using it in places like the suspension where you sure don't want a nut working loose. Use the blue stuff cause the red will take heat to remove.
Good luck,
TeJay

bighorn3370

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking the 3/4" was right. I just did not want to round off the nut and/or bust my knuckles when it rounds off the nut. Ernie

bighorn3370

John, at first I had a 12-point open end/boxed end wrench. Then I got out the 6-point socket. I just felt that there was a little too much movement and I would round off the nuts. -Ernie

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John, at first I had a 12-point open end/boxed end wrench. Then I got out the 6-point socket. I just felt that there was a little too much movement and I would round off the nuts. -Ernie

Ernie, when I check mine, using a standard 6-point socket, there is a little slippage to the point that I have to sometimes reverse the torque wrench to get the socket off the nut. Not enough to round the nut, though. If I have them with me, I prefer to use the sockets from the Metrinch set I have. They put the force on the flats, not the corners, of hex fasteners. The sockets and wrenchs are designed to fit both SAE and metrics. One of the few good purchases I've made while watching late night infomercials while consuming adult beverages.

bighorn3370

My Snap-On 3/4" is the same, it puts the force on the flats. This is one great reason I like the forum because if you are not sure or just do not know, someone else will have the answer. I have seen the same infomercials for Metrinch, and I was very unsure. Sounds like that would have been worth money. Ernie