Bathroom Fan

ChangingPlaces

We have a 2950 RK 2011 model that has a bathroom fan that is very noisey and we are looking to swap the bathroom fan with the bedroom fan which is quiet, but can't see how to get the motor off.
Is the the motor part of the entire fan or can the motor be removed? Can we swap them over??

Tried to contact the factory but the forum post part would not allow any text to be entered??

Look forward to comments
Thanks
Paul
Changing Places

Attachments

• Bathroom Fan.jpg
    Bathroom Fan.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 46

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Paul, the entire unit will have to be swapped out. This will need to be done from both the interior and on the roof. The thermostat for the bedroom fan will also need to be re-routed. Be careful not to damage the roof material when removing the old caulking.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Actually, yes, the motor can be removed from the bracket. But you have to first pry the fan blades off the armature to get at the mounting screws. And you wil need to remove the interior trim flange to get at the wire nuts.

You say the bedroom fan is quieter. Is it the same type of fan or a different model? I replaced the bedroom fan with a Heng Vortex recently. It's still a bit loud, but not as bad or high pitched as the OEM fans are. Moves more air and cuts down on the light entering the room. To install this fan, it was not necessary to go on the roof or remove any external components.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Actually, yes, the motor can be removed from the bracket. But you have to first pry the fan blades off the armature to get at the mounting screws. And you wil need to remove the interior trim flange to get at the wire nuts.

You say the bedroom fan is quieter. Is it the same type of fan or a different model? I replaced the bedroom fan with a Heng Vortex recently. It's still a bit loud, but not as bad or high pitched as the OEM fans are. Moves more air and cuts down on the light entering the room. To install this fan, it was not necessary to go on the roof or remove any external components.
I just *** u med he had a Fantastic fan in the bedroom.:eek:

JohnDar

I just *** u med he had a Fantastic fan in the bedroom.:eek:

Ha, and I *** u med he had the OEM fan in there! At present, I've got one of each, and if you're talking quiet, it's the Fantastic Fan, then the Heng, and finally the OEM job (best to worst). Bonus on the Heng over the OEM, it doesn't seem to interfere with the TV reception.

GOTTOYS

I installed a Heng Vortex in the bathroom. Somewhat quieter and it moves a lot mere air. Easy install all from the inside. Uses the original outer housing so no need to get on the roof and caulk anything. Priced around $50.00 from various sources online. I highly recommend it..Don

ChangingPlaces

Hi All
Thanks for your input. Both fans are the same. I will investigate removing the motors and swapping them over soon.
Cheers Paul

JohnDar

Hi All
Thanks for your input. Both fans are the same. I will investigate removing the motors and swapping them over soon.
Cheers Paul

Paul, if both fans are the same OEM type, then swapping motors may not get you much. If one is noisy and the other is not, check for something contacting the sides or the lid, maybe even a loose screw. Could it be transmitted vibrations you're hearing? Case in point, in an upstairs bathroom in our house, I was hearing a nasty vibrating noise when using the "water closet." I thought the fan in the living room below was going to fall off the ceiling. In the living room, all was quiet. :confused::confused: Took a while, but I traced it to the minor vibrational hum of the fan being transmitted into the tile floor of the bath. There was a metal bathroom scale in there that was just touching the plastic toilet brush stand. Moved the scale and the noise stopped. :D

From all the ones I have seen, they are one piece fans especially bath fans. I am always scared to work on these as I'm afraid to create a larger problem with the caulking around the unit. I generally take this issue to the shop! Have you looked at bathroomfanexperts.com?

Last edited:

Willym

Hi All
Cheers Paul
Check to make sure that both fans are on the shaft the same way - there's a right way and a wrong way. They can be installed upside down and while they will still shift the air, an inverted fan may be noisier. I think that this is because the angle of the leading edge of the blades is different.

JohnDar

From all the ones I have seen, they are one piece fans especially bath fans. I am always scared to work on these as I'm afraid to create a larger problem with the caulking around the unit. I generally take this issue to the shop!

I replaced the bedroom fan, which is the same as the bathroom one with a Heng Vortex. It's all inside work, no caulking involved. The original outside cover is still in use.