Tow vehicle tire pressures

jmaguire

I have a 2007 Silverado 2500HD Diesel. On the door it shows tire pressures of 80lbs. for the rear and 55lbs. for the front tires. A mechanic added air to the front to make it 80psi. Should the front be 55? or is he right, because the tire sais 80 on it.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I run 80 in the rear and 55 in the front. I lower the rear preassure when not towing.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Not sure why but my 2007.5 LMM says 60psi for the front. I always run 60 in the front and 80 in the rear.

TedS

My 2004 Silverado 2500 Duramax calls for 60psi front and 80psi rear. That's what I run when towing. I don't think it is really wrong to run 80psi up front. It does not exceed the pressure rating of the tire. The steering may be a little faster with the higher pressure. You may feel more road roughness through the steering. Wear will be more to the tire center, since the front is not as heavily loaded as the rear.

lwmcguir

We usually run 80/110 all around depending on the truck. If we arn't going to tow for quite a while then we drop the front bact to 60. I have noted the front tires get to hot if you are heavily loaded/towing in hot weather with the pressue at 60/110. JMHO

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The sticker on mine reads 66 for the front and 60 for the rear (duallies). It seems to run and tow just fine at that pressure, but RVSEF told me to bump the fronts up to 70 or 75 when towing to put a safety margin on due to a slight overload of the left front tire at 66 psi. Might be due to adding the larger midship fuel tank to the truck. Max on my tires is 80 psi.

BC1of38

65psi front. 80psi rear. 85 in drivers side air bag. 75 in passenger side air bag (lots of on board fuel!). Titan tank. Trailer tires 115psi. Blood pressure, only slightly elevated :)

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
My 2004 Silverado 2500 Duramax calls for 60psi front and 80psi rear. That's what I run when towing. I don't think it is really wrong to run 80psi up front. It does not exceed the pressure rating of the tire. The steering may be a little faster with the higher pressure. You may feel more road roughness through the steering. Wear will be more to the tire center, since the front is not as heavily loaded as the rear.

The over inflation can wear on the tires is the thing and on the front it can be hard on the front end parts.

brianharrison

We usually run 80/110 all around depending on the truck. If we arn't going to tow for quite a while then we drop the front bact to 60. I have noted the front tires get to hot if you are heavily loaded/towing in hot weather with the pressue at 60/110. JMHO

Are your higher pressures on your 2011 F350? If so that seems high and are you concerned about exceeding sidewall max recommended pressures if you are running stock tires? Or have you upgraded your tires to G rated?

I'm curious.

Take care,
Brian

TireHobby

The air pressures found on the vehicle tire placard is the correct pressure under normal conditions up to and including your vehicle's GVWR. If you're concerned you can find a load inflation chart for your brand tires and do some math with the figures to insure you are happy with the amount of reserves the vehicle manufacturer has provided you with. Normally - depending on the math - you will find 8-12% reserves beyond Vehicle GVWR with the recommended pressures. (I'm talking OE tires here).

TireHobby