What Heartland unit can I tow?

imdun

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab/short bed 4x4, with the 6.7 Diesel, 6 speed automatic, Does anyone have any idea what I can tow with this. I am looking for something around 31 feet.

jimtoo

Re: What Brand of Truck Are You Using for a Tow Vehicle??

Hi imdun,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

You should be able to tow just about anything you want in the 28 to 35' range.

I am moving your post to the towing rig area since this was started as a pole thread. I'm sure you will get lots of replies.

Enjoy the forum and hopefully you join us as a family member.

Jim M

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
A 31' or less rig should be no problem for your truck. Look at the Sundance and Greystone as they have a few floorplans in the length you want.

Last edited:

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We pulled a Bighorn 3055 with our '02 GMC 2500. It did very well but we traded both the truck and trailer.

caissiel

The Ram will pull anything that Hartland makes.
But the 2008 is not rated to pull as heavy as other makes.
Again if you look at the weights and measure of all the heartland models they are rated to carry around 3K to 4K of cargo so judge the weights by the shipping weights and compare to the other makes to load the trailer.
Every Sundance model seam to be made for the 3/4 ton market, Elkridge seam to be the same shipping weight for under 34ft. Around here most Sundances in the parks are towed by 1/2 tons, I think its foulish, but the trucks pull them ok.
We chose the Big Country model because of the washing machine and cargo space. Not every cargo is heavy but it can add weight fast. We are very satisfied with our choice and its been a dream to tow the unit.
One wise older man told me one time when I bought my 1st trailer, "The length of the trailer usualy don't add much weight because its usualy empty space inside because all the furniture and appliaces are similar in any size. The amount of cargo will not change if you want to carry something there will be space found".
So on his advice I bought a 24ft 5th wheel to be pulled by a Ford 1/4 ton Ranger. And the BC has been the same thing its the model we liked and we are glad we did the choice.
I see so many couples buy to suit the truck and in a few years regret and have to upgrade.

imdun

You folks are very helpfull and I appreciate all the help. Now I just have to find a unit that my wife and I like,

Maverick

Just bought a Landmark San Antonio. Hauling with a Ford F-250, 6.7 Diesel. Seems to be working well so far. Fuel mileage drops very much but that is to be expected with the 40' trailer and 16,000 lbs.