Big Country with 3 A/C's

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I am at Houston West RV and there are a couple of Big Country's, a Sundance and a North Trail. The Big Country next door has 3 A/C's. I was wondering if this was somthing from the factory or did they just stick another on top. I think that is a good idea here where it is almost 100* all the time in the summer or more.

Do you know anyone else that has 3 A/C's? Sometimes I really wish we had 3.

Big Country with 3 AC's at Houston West RV - DSC_1820 Mod.jpg

BC

BTW I tried to put this in the HOAC area but it said it was not taking post at this time. What's the deal.

Last edited:

ihsolutions

Wow. 3 A/C's is nuts. Our BH 3670 (with only ONE A/C) works REALLY hard to keep the temperature comfortable up here on warmer MI days. I cannot imagine taking it to Texas in the summer.

Will 3 A/C's still run on a 50amp service? I often see motorhomes at some of the high-end campgrounds here, with as many as 4 A/C units running off a 50 amp service. So, it must be possible, though I doubt they could all run simultaneously.

porthole

Retired
If all 3 units were 13.5's that would just about max out the service. HE units use about 11 amps or so, normal 13.5's use about 14-15 amps, so 3 units at 15 amps would give you just enough left over to run the converter to keep the lights on.

Rickhansen

If all 3 units were 13.5's that would just about max out the service. HE units use about 11 amps or so, normal 13.5's use about 14-15 amps, so 3 units at 15 amps would give you just enough left over to run the converter to keep the lights on.

Porthole, You're forgetting the other hot leg. 50 amp RV's utilize two 50 amp, 120-volt power legs, for a total of 100 amps, or about 12,000 watts. That's why there's 4 prongs on the plug, two hots, one neutral, and one ground. I would imagine you'd need to organize your wiring and breakers carefully to try to balance the loads though, in order to keep from tripping the 50 amp tied breakers on the the post.

jpdoggett

Three boy I have two and I don't know what I would do with one more or where I would put it. I quest you could put it in the bathroom opening or the kitchen opening

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Three boy I have two and I don't know what I would do with one more or where I would put it. I quest you could put it in the bathroom opening or the kitchen opening
Depending on the location, a 3rd A/C unit would replace the ceiling fan.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
It might be noisy with three but when it is 110 outside it should keep the temp inside down enough to keep the DW comfortable. Just think with a 20* differential it would still be 90* inside. That is hot.

On my trailer, the third one would fit where the fantastic fan is located in the kitchen. Replacing the ceiling fan would not work because it is to close to the existing A/C.

It is interesting what people do to live in their trailers... Still wouldn't change our lifestyle.

BC

Last edited:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
At the moment we're in Borrego Springs. We have 2 AC's.
The outside temp says 113. Inside is 84. That's almost a 30 degree difference by keeping the BH door closed as much as possible. Which I would say is pretty good.
We do have reflective foil in the windows, which really helps. We also have dual pane windows.

hoefler

This is what we have, bought them at Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-RV-Vent-Insulator/16927797

0001471745195_60X60.gif

Northern Virginia
Maybe he's hanging meat in there. Otherwise, two 15k btu ac units would keep 300 sf pretty cool even in 100 degree temps.

You can actually have too much cooling. The units will cool the air quickly but not run long enough too wring the humidity out of the air. So you get a clammy cold instead of comfortable cool, dry air.

rustyshakelford

ours doesnt hang very well in the 100+ degree temps here. the garage gets very warm compared to the rest of the trailer too. I would look into adding a 3rd a/c for that reason. When we run off the genny, we would just use the main and garage units to keep the trailer tolerable for the dogs. In theory we should be able to keep ours cool when both units are running but the reality is that it doesnt. during the summer, our units never turn off until its dark out. then they run about 80-90% of the night

We were kind of disappointed with the cooling abilities or lack there of. the heater on the other hand works great. makes us wish it was colder here more often

brett