Rust ?

OBX-GL

Getting ready for a mid week exit for our month long camping trip to the Outer Banks of NC. So upon loading and doing a pre trip inspection i spent some time under my trailer and could not believe the amount of rust on the frame and any metal components,rust is permeating the paint and flaking the paint and in some areas there was no paint left. Is this normal? My trailer was bought new in May having just been deliver from the factory at the beginning of March. It was pulled up from the factory to the dealer in Ontario, then to my house and i have not pulled it anywhere since. I would expect with traveling the underside to get blasted with road debris and grime but most of the rust id coming from beneath the paint. The trailer has been kept in a dry location and even the upward facing outer surfaces are flaking and rusting like the hitch area and the bumper paint is now cracking making me think flaking will soon appear there.

I don't want to sound like a chicken little, we have had very little teething issues thus far, but...Has anyone seen rust on this scale appear before, so fast? Is this a concern? My not so mechanically inclined wife just noticed the rust while i was writing this, she's ranting now about the amount of money we spent on rust !

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes, mine had way to much rust on the frame for a brand new unit.( I am in the desert, in a very dry climate much of the time.) Mine is only 6 months old. I understand your concern.Most of it is just surface rust at this point.
I have already spot sprayed it with Rustoleum once. I was just under the slides again the other day and it looks like I'm going to have to go over some other areas. I was told these chassis can sit out in weather for quite a while at Lippert, before they are even delivered to the mfgr.
It would seem like Lippert could put a little more effort into the finish on their components. Maybe even a powder coat on chassis parts. Very frustrating to see something "brand new" with that much rust on it.

rustyshakelford

I had this problem with my running gear and made a thread. I got dexter axle to cover the r&r of my axles. They were cleaned then repainted. Looks 10x better. We bought our trailer at the end of feb. It traveled less than 5 miles on the salted roads. Supposedly, the dealer is required to wash them off to remove and salt or chemicals during the colder months to prevent this. Brett

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
We have rust on our steps and on the pull out bumper/bike rack, and various other places we have noticed rust. The H is going to wire brush and touch them up, but yeah, we thought there sure was a lot of rust here and there for something brand new.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Seems to be the nature of the beast! Ours was quite rusty at delivery. Each summer I clean it up, prime the bad areas, and repaint.

aatauses

If you look back at some of my earlier threads, you will find one about rust---I had a lot of it and ended up replacing several nuts/bolts----I also bought a rust inhibitor, put that on and then sprayed the frame and other parts with Rustolium
al
The dealer did not do a good job of prep work