Look for rust before you purchase!!!

TeleBack

Hello Everyone,

A piece of advice for you! Especially if you have hydraulic jacks. Check the ends of the hoses and the connectors. We are in Southern California. No salt on the roads down here! However, a camper leaving Indiana in December? Yup!

A few days after getting our 2011 Landmark San Antonio, I went underneath to open the drain on the fresh water tank. I was astonished to see some serious corrosion on the hydraulic connectors. Have a look here The dealer said that it was not covered under warranty and that I should contact the factory to see if they will reverse their decision. They did not!

As I looked around more, I saw more rust!

My advice to everyone is to check for rust and work out your best resolution with your dealer before you leave the lot!

brianharrison

Wow! That is rust from one trip on salty roads? I would not have expected the magnitude of the corrosion product from one trip.

Brian

caissiel

Hydraulic fittings on all the industrial equipment I ever worked on are just plain steel. The hoses never last long enough to have rust affect the fittings. But most new industrial equipment I have ever seen at our plant came with all the hose and fittings painted to match the eqipment color.

Might be something we should recommend be done to all the hoses that will be required to last years due to amount of use. My last trailer had 15 year old hoses that looked like new. But hoses exposed to the sun will deterirate fast. Even a coat of paint on them will possibly be protection enough.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We just had front hydraulics installed. I heading out to the garage for a can of black spray paint or some clearcoat in a few minutes. I can't imagine what the slide cylinders look like after 5 years. I guess as long as they aren't leaking...

lwmcguir

Hello Everyone,

A piece of advice for you! Especially if you have hydraulic jacks. Check the ends of the hoses and the connectors. We are in Southern California. No salt on the roads down here! However, a camper leaving Indiana in December? Yup!

A few days after getting our 2011 Landmark San Antonio, I went underneath to open the drain on the fresh water tank. I was astonished to see some serious corrosion on the hydraulic connectors. Have a look here The dealer said that it was not covered under warranty and that I should contact the factory to see if they will reverse their decision. They did not!

As I looked around more, I saw more rust!

My advice to everyone is to check for rust and work out your best resolution with your dealer before you leave the lot!

Ours look like new. You have somthing else going on there. That is way to much corrosion for just condensation.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Our Big Country was delivered in February to WA state from Ohio. Must have been a lot of road salt/chemicals between there and here because the rust was quite extensive. Part of my "dewinterizing" regime is cleaning the frame, fixtures, propane lines etc. from all the rust then priming, and repainting.