Popping sound

TeleBack

We have the Lippert AutoLevel system with Hydraulic jacks behind the wheels and in the front of the camper.

Anyone know how we can stop the "popping" sound from these things? When are in SoCal. When the temperature begin to change from the 70's to the 80's, it sounds as if jacks are "popping" like there is air in the line. I have exercised the jacks (front and rear) about 10 times by holding the retract until the motor shuts off and then lowering again.

I read somewhere here that he put wood block under the pads. I tried that no, help. It seems to be temperature related.

It's driving us nuts. Last night it was "popping" at 1230 in the morning!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Is one side of the trailer higher than the other, required a longer stroke of the legs on one side??

kakampers

I know you said you put blocks under it...but try putting them just under the 2 or 3 on the side that is extended the furtherest, including the landing gear...not under all of the jacks. We had the same issue for more than a year, and discovered it occurred mostly when the temps rose and always on the hyper-extended side. It immediately stopped popping, and as long as we do not over extend either side...it's never happened again, no matter what the temps reach...

TedS

Would it work to unload/unlevel then reload/relevel the rig? That would let the jacks find their new position under the heated up rig. The jack pads may be being forced to move as the trailer expands with increasing temperature. The popping sound may be the jerk/slipping of the pads.

TeleBack

I'll give the wood block thing a try on the low side of the camper next week and see what happens.

Seems quite odd that anyone should have to do that though. I mean, my gosh, you pay extra for the hydraulic jacks with autoleveling and you have to put wooden blocks under it to make it "more" level before you begin leveling. LOL. Anyone know why that is?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Just thinking out loud here. What if you re-mounted the hydraulic cylinders one hole lower on the mounting block. In effect you would be extending the pistons just that much less and maybe solve the problem without using boards. It would, of course, depend on if there were available holes to do this re-positioning.

kakampers

Don't mis-understand. We very seldom have to do this. Most sites are level enough that we get no popping. It occurs the most on our lot in Texas which is sloped for drainage. That's how I figured it out...when we were traveling and moving from lot to lot, it rarely occurred.

I first tried the blocks after being on our Texas lot for several months, enduring the constant popping, then one morning I realized the difference...tried it and it worked. Now if the site seems a little too sloped we use blocks and have no popping. You must realize, there is only so much stroke to the piston...hope it works for you, it surely has solved our "popping" issue...

DougS

Doug S
I have the popping sound also. I once jacked the front up to lube the pod to try to stop the popping, and noticed the pod moved toward the outside of the RV a fraction of an inch. I realized the popping sound was from the pod trying to move. To solve the problem, I bought 4 nylon cutting boards, one for each pod, and use them all the time, the popping sound is gone. The nylon let's the pod slide just enough to ease the pressure. You can buy nylon squares from camping stores, but @ $2.50 cutting boards from Wally World worked for me. The wooded boards will probably work if you sprayed them with a lube or wax to make them slip. Other threads have nick named this popping sound as the "Lippert Alarm Clock". I also noticed that when the pod is directly on concrete or blacktop, the popping sound was worse.

We also have the popping sound. Thanks for telling us about the nylon cutting boards. Didn't know it was called the Lippert Alarm Clock. I just know, it bugs me bad.

Ray LeTourneau

We hadn't had the popping in quite some time. Last night it got colder than normal and the popping returned. I wonder if the cold/warm could be causing enough contraction/expansion to cause movement enough to pop. We never had the popping until we had the new style hydraulics installed. I wouldn't go back to the electrics but laying in bed very early this morning, all I could think about was a sudden loss of pressure in the hydraulics and the front of the rig dropping to the ground. Silly, I know.:eek:

I dont have the auto leveling system but i do have the new gold edition with hydraulic front jacks. My wife and I get so annoyed from the popping. It usually happens early in the morning and in the evening when the temps are changing. It will wake us up from a sleep. I was just recently playing with the system and noticed my right front jack will lower before the left front then it stops until the left front makes contact then they both go together however the right jack raises faster than the left and it twist my camper. I cant get my bedroom door to latch. I at first thought this was from maybe too many beverages while leveling however after 4 attempts and multiple neighbors giving input we are at the same conclusion. How do u level if right and left front dont move together?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The hydraulic system works by equal pressere. One jack will go down till it gets resistance. The ground. Then it waits till the other jack gets down. At that time they will have equal resistance and move together to raise your coach.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

I dont have the auto leveling system but i do have the new gold edition with hydraulic front jacks. I was just recently playing with the system and noticed my right front jack will lower before the left front then it stops until the left front makes contact then they both go together however the right jack raises faster than the left and it twist my camper. I cant get my bedroom door to latch. I at first thought this was from maybe too many beverages while leveling however after 4 attempts and multiple neighbors giving input we are at the same conclusion. How do u level if right and left front dont move together?
radman, To verify this, try measuring the distance at each side of the rig from the frame to the ground. Pick a point that is easy to access, maybe the front corners of the rig. Jot down the measurement and raise the rig. Measure again from the same points and see if there is a variance from side to side.
I don't know what would cause this but Dave is right, they should raise equally. If they aren't, call your dealer and Heartland or Lippert.

Bobby A

Very interesting thread, I posted something simular to this shortly after I had my hydraulic level up system installed, I think I explained it as a ticking sound like a expansion or retraction sound of some sort, deffently change in temp related. Now I know I'm not going crazy and my rig is not the only rig doing it. I'll sleep better tonight, well at least after the ticking sound stops.
Thanks,