Tailgate interference

I tried to slide my 5th wheel hitch (Curt Q5 with roller) into manuver position to get into a campsite and "crunch" into the tailgate. Opps no one told me I had to lower or remove the tailgate. We tow our Greystone 29MK with a 2008 Chevy Extd. Cab Standard bed (6'6" bed).
Question: Could I be able to manuver with the tailgate down and not interfere with the trailer? or should I remove it and get a tailgate net for when we head out?

Any advise is appreciated. We are heading to northeren Michigan on the 6/30 or 13 days.Thanks in advance.

Dennis1948

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear about your oops moment. I think that will buff out. :)
But seriously, do you really need to use the slider? You may not need to use it in most circumstances. I have never needed a slider. Dont have one.

Peace
Dave

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
No, you can not maneuver with the tailgate down. IMHO.
I used a fiver tailgate for years, but got tired of the rattling. I went back to my stock tailgate.
I have an 8' bed with a stationary hitch.
It requires attention when backing in to hitch or unhitch. I have to be almost straight, as I only have about 3 inches between the tailgate in the down position and the BH.
If I am on an angle, the DW has to hold the tailgate up to hitch or unhitch.
Based on what you are saying, a net may be a good option for you. If you hit it, no harm done.

Good luck, Trace

Last edited:
Dave,Thanks for the reply. The only thing that got damaged is the grey kingpin cover got chipped and some grooves in the plastic cap on the tailgate. I have been having trouble getting used to the backing in with the 5th wheel vs the 40+ years of backing a bumber hitch trailer and thought that moving the slider back might help. This was the start of a VERY difficult day of getting into a tight camping site. I need all the help I can get at this point.
Thanks,
Dennis1948

caissiel

All 5th wheels are now build with a much shorter overhang compared to past years. Its an advantage to more storage and stronger 5th wheel frame due to the shorter extension. I bumped into an SOB trailer completly surprised that the owner never stopped me but it was a first for me after 15 years of towing 5th wheel trailer.

As for the white cover I got rid of mine because its realy not practicle to use with my V-Notched tail gate. You need to be almost straight to hook up properly and due to the tailgate chance of hitting the front It makes hooking very carefully.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
I have a Bighorn 3400RL with a 05 Dodge Ram short box quad cab. I just lower my tail gate and back up and hook up no problem in 4 years. Have things changed since the 08 BH model.
Regards
Wayne

Rrloren

We have the same rig and have not had a problem with the Dodge. Tailgate down to hookup up when backing into position then of course lower to disconnect. Haven't had a problem in nearly 2 yrs.

lwmcguir

No, you can not maneuver with the tailgate down. IMHO.
I used a fiver tailgate for years, but got tired of the rattling. I went back to my stock tailgate.
I have an 8' bed with a stationary hitch.
It requires attention when backing in to hitch or unhitch. I have to be almost straight, as I only have about 3 inches between the tailgate in the down position and the BH.
If I am on an angle, the DW has to hold the tailgate up to hitch or unhitch.
Based on what you are saying, a net may be a good option for you. If you hit it, no harm done.

Good luck, Trace

We have the same clearance and have with all of our TV's. They all have the hitch positioned 3 inches ahead of the rear axle. Back straight or raise the tail gate. Otherwise you will dent the front compartment door.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Different models have different lengths from the front cargo door to the pin. On our Sundance, I could manuever with the tailgate down to at least 60 degrees. With the Landmark, I have only a couple of inches clearance between the tailgate and the cargo door. No turning radius at all with the tailgate down.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Be safe and leave the tailgate up or off. Don't risk causing damage to the tailgate or coach by leaving it down. Remember Murphy's law...'Whatever can happen will happen."

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Dennis1948

no one told me I had to lower or remove the tailgate.
Are you saying you had this problem with your tailgate up or were you trying to manuver with the tailgate down? I always manuver with the tailgate up and drop the trailer with the tailgate down.

My tailgate, when down, is about 6" from the front of the trailer (front basement door). I can slide sideways between the tailgate and the trailer door. If I am correct when you have finished backing into this campsite you can not straighten your truck out? When you finish parking your trailer you should be straight enough to pull away from the trailer so it will not hit the side of the truck. I have been in a place where I had to raise the trailer up high enough to clear the top of the bed and I have had a problem not being able to drop the tailgate. Having hydraulic landing gear is very helpful in this case. I never drop my tailgate until I am ready to disconnect so I won't hit the trailer.

BC

branson4020

Icantre Member
Seems to be lots of confusion with this thread. To the OP - I'm reading that when you moved your sliding hitch to the rear and tried to manuever, the bottom of the pin box hit the top edge of the tailgate. Is that what happened?

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
Seems to be lots of confusion with this thread. To the OP - I'm reading that when you moved your sliding hitch to the rear and tried to manuever, the bottom of the pin box hit the top edge of the tailgate. Is that what happened?

Yeah thats what I understood also Branson4020, The OP was not actually asking about tailgate clearance. But he did ask about lowering the tailgate to clear the back of the pin box when he slides his slider hitch back.

I wouldnt try manuevering with the tailgate down, but with the slider moved back you may be able to. I cant be of much help here, I dont have a slider. Just dont see any need for one.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I'm still a little confused. I had a S/B 2500 with a slider. Never used it but once. When I did use it, I did not have any problem with the hitch hitting the tailgate. Maybe the OP was in a very unlevel situation. My only other question would to the OP is....on level ground does your GS sit level with the truck?? If not and its nose down it will most likely hit the tailgate. You need at least 6-7" of clearance. JMHO

GOTTOYS

Is it possible to raise the hitch in the truck up higher and then lower the pinbox on the trailer (move it upward)? This will result in no change to the height of the trailer but it will raise the hitch up higher in relation to the box rails and tailgate..Don

The tailgate was up and I unlocked the slider, set the trailer brakes and pulled the truck forward to move the hitch rearward into the maneurvering position. that is when the rear of the pin box on the trailer hit the tailgate. Upps. hence the inquiry. I think I will measure the distance between the basment of the 5th wheel and the tailgate when in the down position and the distance the slider will travel to see if there would be any interference with the tailgate down and the slider in the manurvering position. Just in case I get in that situation again and need the extra maneuverability.
thanks
Dennis1948

caissiel

Most newer trailers use the extended hitch pin box and I have a feeling that these sliding hitches were meant for shorter pin boxes. The next solution would be for someone to design a 1/2 height tailgate or 1/2 convertible as I am about to do if I get an other model truck. This way hooking is easier and the gate could be left down or possibly top section left down to 1/2 height. Just putting my imagination to work here, because even a standard V notch tailgate could not allow manuvering with the hitch pulled back.
I made my own tailgate and feel that if I would have had this unit It would be of complet different design. Our last unit, there was enough room to be able to carry 2 bikes on the truck rear bumper while towing a Car on the rear hitch of the trailer. It fitted between the truck and trailer and under the 5th. I even had to set the 5th wheel hitch 3" further back to suit the this new unit, I have room to get to my rear tool box with the tailgate down.
I am not complaining because I love the fact it tows so well and gives awsome basement storage.