Sway Problem

Hello Fellow RV'ers I have a 32' 37' with tongue travel trailer. I have a distribution hitch and sway bar and I am still getting bad sway on a calm non windy day. I am not sure how to fix this issue. I am beginning to think it is a design flaw.

Any help would be appreciated. I am towing with a F250 SD with heavy tow package.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Things to check... correct tire pressure in all tires (tv included) / weight distribution hitch adjusted for level attitude / Sway bar clean and adjusted for proper friction drag / assuming also your not driving 90 miles per hour!!!:cool:

hoefler

Is your tow vehicle level when hooked up?? A lot of the times, if you pull your bars up tighter, it will stop the sway. On a calm day, sway is usually caused by too heavy of a tongue weight, which makes the front of the tow vehicle light.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If everything mentioned checks out, tire pressure, trailer and truck level, you may need more weight on the tongue. You can raise the ball on the hitch and loosen the strain on the WDH by one link on the chain and see if that helps. If you have the friction type anti sway bar make sure it's clean on both surfaces and good n tight.

GOTTOYS

Friction type sway bar isn't considered the best for a trailer this size. If you don't want to upgrade to a better hitch you could try adding a second sway bar on the other side. I'd take a good look at your tongue weight. If it's too light it will induce sway. Make sure you haven't added any additional weight onto the rear end of the trailer....JMHO..Don

Good information everyone. I always check pressures. It must be the weight on the tongue. I will adjust that and see what happens. It is a bunk house so there is a lot of weight behind the axles. It seems to set level by the levels when hooked but the front of my truck does have some bounce. I can only hook one link of the weight dist. bars the way everything is rigged currently.

irvin56

One thing to check unhook the trailer and level unit front to back. Next back up your truck and see where the ball is located for height. It should be almost the same height, or maybe 1 inch higher. if not then you need to adjust height up or down. ( make sure you are on level ground). Also the bars when tighten should be paralell with tounge. If you only can do up one link then your head of WDH needs to be tilted towards your truck. Sway control, they suject that anything over 25 foot should have 2 bars. Mine is 34 foot but I only use 1 bar and it's okay.
When I can find my link for set up i will come back and post.

You never mentioned what kind of WDH you have
Irvin

irvin56

We also have a quad bunk house in the back. my tounge weight is lower then 10-15 % I load a lot of stuff up the walk way closer to the front of trailer to get my weight on front end. This lower weight on front will cause major handling problems for sway.

Jimmy

Not sure if you are hauling with fresh water tank full or empty, try doing the opposite, and see what happens, you may be surprised...