Slide out operation one button??????

Since the sales person did not exlplain the rear electric jacks at all to me I am wonering if I got the proper explanation for the slideouts. He told me that the slidouts are on a single switch which contrils both. Is this correct. If so can you add a switch so they can be operated seperatley?

RugRat

Not sure which model you are looking at, but I have only seen separate switches for each slide out.

HappyKayakers

Not sure how much difference there is between models. Our BH has 1 master switch. However, individual slides can be activated/deactivated in the front storage compartment at the hydraulic unit.

looking at the same unit as Rug Rat. They are hydraulic. Not sure I like that idea, because if it fails you have no manual backup, your screwed

BluegrassMan

The slideouts operate on the hydraulic pressure the slideouts go out at will of the pressure. Usually the bed slide first cause it's the smallest then the other 2 go, all are moving at once slowly. Then they seat tight one at a time, at least that's how my GC goes.

ct0218

My Landmark has 1 switch for the 3 slides, and they can be opened individually at the pump. The pump can be operated by a drill, and that would operate the slides and the front jacks. No problem. If they were electric and failed, then what? Hydraulic is better.

fishn2dmax

As I looked at the Sundance, it uses electric motors on their slides with seperate electric slide switches. I noticed the Big horn and landmark come with hydraulic slides actuators and use a single master hydraulic pump for all slide operation, thus only one switch is needed. I have to disagree with the previous post indicating hydraulic is better for failure modes. If a hydraulic line blows or a fitting comes loose ( and they do) oil is sprayed everywhere ( big mess) and once the system is drained of it's oil, none of the slides will go in or out until the leak is fixed and the oil replaced. Overall Hydrualic is a smoother system and in theory should be very reliable. That said, give me the electric!!! If and electric motor does goes out, all you have to do is insert the hand crank and crank the affected slide in manually.

tdharley

I have been running & own hydraulic equiptment (Bobcats, backhoes,etc.)all my years in the building business and have never had a line blow.This equiptment was used day in and day out.

I have though in the last 3 years had to have my plumber replace 2 hot tub motors, including one that was my own. Start capactiors are much more sensitive than high pressure lines.

That being said even our hydraulic system has a 12 volt motor but also has a backup system.

davebennington

We have 1 switch to operate the slides in our Golden Gate, and I agree that a hydraulic system is smoother and I don't think I would like an electric slide. That said we had the cylinder/jack go bad internal leaks past the rings on the bedroom slide. Not being a hydraulic expert I think it failed because of pressures placed on it, it is the first to start to move and when it is fully out the others are starting to move. Is there additional pressure placed on that slide cylinder?. fishn2dmax makes a good point how do you handle a failure if the hydraulic system quits completely? Or if you have a leak and all the fluid is gone. Can you manually push the slideout in and keep it in until you can get to a service place? I guess I will have to carry some hydraulic fluid just in case.

dave