2001 Ford Windstar with Cruise Control not working? Any help out there?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a 2001 Ford Windstar mini van that for some reason the Cruise Control stopped working. It was working fine about a week ago. Tried it yesterday and not working now. Do any of you mechanically inclined persons out there have any ideas as to where to start? I looked in the manual for a fuse but could not find one listed for it. Help!!!

Willym

There probably is a fuse. Try looking under the fuse box cover for a listing. If there is nothing there, try every other accessory to see if anything else has failed. That may lead you to a shared fuse that is blown. Otherwise you could start pulling fuses one by one and testing them.

2psnapod2

Just a follow up, my DW took the van to the ford dealer in Wisconsin and had it fixed. It was something about a leak on the master cylinder. Not sure what it was actually. But the sheet said leak on cylinder. But the light on the instrument panel. I will have to look into that at some point.

novaken

I know what is wrong. I had the same problem. It is the switch on the master cylinder. The seal fails and brake fluid comes in and ruins it. Just change the switch and cruise will work again.

traveler44

I thought that was what Ford recalled my truck for and put a jumper at the wiring harness for the cruise control. I thought there was a danger of fire from the brake fluid getting on the wiring or something. A Chicago newspaper had an automotive expert and somebody asked him about buying a Yugo. He told the guy to make sure and get the one with the heated back window for when you have to push it down the street in the winter to get it started. I know that doesn't have anything to do with your windstar but I thought it was funny. Tom M.

Last edited:

2psnapod2

Now you tell me. After a 250 buck bill. But thanks for trying. And yes that was what was wrong with it.