Finally picked up our pride and joy 3055RL!!!

dennylm

Well, the day finally came! We picked up our baby (3055RL) from Butch and Karen at RVs-for-Less in Knoxville. We really can't say enough about them and their staff of good people. Seth, Paul, Kenny and Allan were super in putting on the final touches and responding to our short PDI list.

The trip home was an adventure in and of itself! Karen's (of Butch and Karen at RVs-for-less) father passed away and had we stayed in Knoxville for the couple of free nights of camping it would have been smack dab in the middle of the funeral, so we headed out without actually doing the dry run alone. There had been a mix up on the additional a/c unit and we had to wait for the right one to come in. This put us on the road later than we had hoped so we tried to get as far down the road as we could toward Louisiana. Had to detour to avoid those horrible storms that came through the south last week and we found ourselves pulling into a Wal-Mart lot around midnight in Jackson, TN in a driving, cold rain. I'm embarrassed, but I flat didn't see the pipe they had recently put across the entrance to the lot limiting vehicles to 12' 4" and drug it right into both new a/c housings! :(

So here we were, at midnight, in the cold rain, up on top of our less than one day old trailer putting duct tape all over the housings to try to keep them on and dry. Boy did I feel stupid! But as luck would have it, the next morning we got a local phone book and found Smallwood’s Camper and Trailer Sales in Jackson, TN. What a FANTASTIC bunch of people! They not only replaced our two a/c shrouds, they fixed a leak in the bedroom unit and repaired a slow leak we had in one of the (Chinese) tires. We were in by 11:00a.m. and out by 4:00p.m.!!! We couldn't believe it! We got to know Jason the service manager, Tommy the parts manager and Joe Smallwood the owner. They treated us like royalty and, if you can believe it, apologized for how long it took!!! They made me want to move closer to them so I could depend on them for all my service! Unfortunately, the slow leak didn't get fixed and we had to nurse the trailer from air hose to air hose since we left our generator at home! Oh, and we also got to meet the Hamilton's and their "Love Shack" Landmark in Knoxville.

Finally pulled into the driveway at home last night and unpacked. What a trip! But you know what?? We're ready to head out again! Will probably just camp somewhere close this weekend so we can enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!! :D

Denny

madigand

Congrats and sounds like you are off with a bang. Sounds like you found a great service department. I am sure you will laugh about this adventure later. Happy Camping

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
You know what they say. It is not what happens to you but how you handle what happens to you.Sounds like you kept a good attitude through it all. Enjoy your new unit.

Jimmyt5

I sure hope WalMArt was open because I would be in there buying some new underware after that happened.;)
What a way to start your new Rig.
Like someone said I am sure this will be a campfire story.......None

dennylm

Yes, I can laugh at it. I've found that when it comes to what life can send you, especially when there's absolutely nothing you can do about it, quite often the two most useful words I can utter are, "Oh well!" :)

Denny

jbeletti

Denny,

Thanks for the info on Karen's father. I had read about a death in the family elsewhere on the forum but no details.

Well, I had to chuckle when I read about your misadventure of a low-clearance kind.

One of the first times out with my rig, pulling out of a campground near Hayward, WI, a high mounted stop sign jumped out of nowhere and scraped down the entire length of my new Landmark. Neat red and green lines.

I was quite the noob at the time. One of life's lessons I guess. Sure wakes us up to safety and taking it slow, using all mirrors, all sets of eyes, looking up more etc.

Congrats on your new arrival and have fun.

Jim

dennylm

Thanks Jim. What really made it funny was literally the LAST thing Kenny at the dealership said to us as we started to drive away was, "Don't forget to look UP!"

randes

Dennylm,

WOW! What a way to startout with a new trailer. I agree with trdeal, it's how you handle these little episodes that life hands you that matters most.

Thanks for your post. Our 3055 has been ready for about a month now at Lakeshore RV, but our new F-350 has been on hold for what seems like forever. Just learned today that it is probably on a rail-car headed for Denver. In any case, I never thought about taking my Honda generator and duct tape with me when we go to pick up our trailer. Thanks for the idea. Boy, you just never know what is around the next corner in life.

Talk about the good service at RV's for less, I am so impressed with Lakeshore RV. Both John and Adam have been really kind about my situation. John told me again just last week not to worry about my trailer sitting there. "It will be ready when you get here." It's kind of embarrasing to order your trailer and not be able to pick it up when it comes in.

Here's wishing you a great summer of living in your new 3055. :D And thanks for the tip to "look up" also!

Roy