Misting System

Parrino67

Hello, just wanted to know if anybody has used the misting system that hooks on to the awing? I live and camp in Texas and wonder if it really works.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
What you are talking about is evaporative cooling.
I have never seen the system you are talking about but evaporative cooling works very well. It works best in a tunnel effect where large fans on one end of a building draw air through and out of the building. On the other end are large vents where fresh air can be drawn in. Misters are set up just after vents and the mist evaporates as the air is drawn through the building. This is "old" technology used in ag building such as turkey houses and chicken houses.
Todays technology use evaporative pads or cells at the vent openings.
Evaporative cooling is also used as air conditioning in hot-low humidity parts of the country.
So the idea should work but it will require air movement to get the right affect out of it.

loafer

We see them used in Arizona on some rvs and double wide trailers if what I think u mean is a line of tubing with heads every 2 feet or so that put out a moist of water .This hole thing attaches to a hose and works well where humidity is low as in desert conditions. Old technology for sure, low buck but functional.hope this is what you were asking.
regards
Bill

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes, we have used them for years. They work well.
As mentioned earlier, the drier the climate , the more effective they are. (Much like a swamp cooler).
I believe CW sold them at one time, although I think you can get them at Walmart now. Walmart also sells the awning hooks to attach them.
I run mine through a cheap water filter to minimize mineral build up and clogging.

Rodney_M

I am a member of a local shooting range, and we have a misting system set up under one of our main outdoor coveredpavilions.. it works exceptionally well especially with the extreme temperatures of late. you can easily build one of these from components at a local home depot or lowes. standard pvc plumbing pipe can be used along with fittings for the fine spray tips available in the plumbing section. you can select the size tips you want, and also simply insert these every 8-10 feet apart or closer dpending on your preference. at the far end, we glued a standard valve to drain the line with to releive pressure or to prevent freezing in the winter since the lines are fixed under the building. the other end has a standard fitting to connect a water hose to.

I have not used one with my 5er, but i am sure one could easily be assembled to work with one.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Rodney_M, welcome to the forum and thanks for the information on building a mister.
That is one of the great things about being here, sharing information.

Peace
Dave

Duramax1

They are extremely effective in dry desert conditions. I purchased one last year in Chelan for about $25.00.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
they do work well. My sister made one for her dogs in the back yard they always seem to know where it was cool..

Duramax1

The one I purchased is made from plastic tubing although the spray nozzles are metal. That would explain the inexpensive $25 price

santafesoul

Here is a chart shows how much cooling you can expect from your system. As you can see it may not be very effective in TX due to your normal high humidity levels.
evap_chart3.gif

Living in the AZ desert, having misters is a must for anyoutdoor activity. I have them throughout the back patio and pool area. For yourawning, I would suggest the flexible hose type with the misting nozzles. Itattaches directly to the water line but be sure to use an inline filter toreduce clogging. HD and Lowes usuallydisplays them in early April since we’re already in the 100’s by May.

During the summer, I go up to the mountains where it’scooler and never even thought of using misters on the awning. Now I know what I’m going to do next time!