EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: MS, New Site - 10/6/2011 to 10/9/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)

Venue:

------------------------------
  • Piney Grove COE Campground
  • CR 3550
  • New Site, MS 38859
  • No Reservation Required 662-728-1134
  • Link to venue
  • Pets ok?: Yes
  • Pet Fee: $0
  • WiFi available: No

Details:

• Number of sites held: Adquate Sites Available
  • Site fee: $18 or $20 (water-front) or $9 or $10 (water-front) with Senior Access per night.
  • Club Member Event fee: -0-
  • Non-Club Member fee: $20
  • Potluck: Yes
  • Potluck date: 10/7/2011
  • Potluck time: 6:00pm

Rally Attendees:

• Wayne and Anita Cooper, Scottsboro, AL
  • Michael and Kelly Barnett, Montgomery, Al
  • Jim and Nancy Beletti, Crossville, TN
  • Jerry and Lily Worth, Montgomery, Al
  • Denny and Ann Olvany, Carriere, Ms
  • Lou and Bette Dick, Ocean Springs, Ms
  • Bobby and Peggy Sheedy, Weir, Ms
  • Bob and Barbara Mansolino, Hartselle, Al
  • Terral and Penny May, Webb, Al
  • Terry and Ann Adkins, Tupelo, Ms
  • Hogan and Donna Cooper, Tupelo, Ms
  • Event Leader: hoganc(click to contact)

Additional Info:

Piney Grove is a Corp campground located in Northeast Mississippi on Bay Springs lake. The reservation system will not be active for our Rally, but plenty of sites will be available; you pick your site on arrival. All of these sites have both 30 and 50 amp service, water hook-ups, picnic tables, grills, and fire rings. No sewer hook-ups but dump stations with easy access are within the park on exit route.

Sites 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, and 137 are located in a small circle around the Gazebo. Sites 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, and 88 are very near the inner circle as are sites 125, 127, 129, 138, and 139. There will be plenty of sites for our group. Again, we will not be able to reserve these sites so each of us will have to choose our site as we arrive at the campground. I will arrive on Sunday, October 2nd and will be available to help with site selection and check-in.
Campground will be operating on Honor System- You will find your site then fill out information on an envelope, put your CASH or CHECK into envelope and deposit in box at Gatehouse. No Plastic accepted.

Getting There:
Piney Grove (MS)
CR 3550 BOX 244
New Site MS 38859

GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
34.56889, -88.32722

A word of caution. I have heard many stories about using a GPS to find Piney Grove. The GPS will tell you to turn off onto a county road that cannot be accessed from the Natchez Trace.
If you are driving northeast from Tupelo on the Trace, take the first right after you cross over the TennTom waterway, then turn left on CR 1, John Rankin Highway, proceed to Highway 4, turn left, cross back over the waterway then turn right on CR 3501 proceeding north for 5 miles, turning right onto CR 3550 which will end at campground.
If you are driving southwest on the Trace, take the exit right before the Waterway, CR-1, John Rankin Highway, then turn left on CR 1, John Rankin Highway, proceed to Highway 4, turn left, cross over the waterway then turn right on CR 3501 proceeding north for 5 miles, turning right onto CR 3550 which will end at campground.

If you have any questions, contact me by email hogancooper@att.net

Note that the map on this page shows the campground at the mailbox for the campground. The campground is about two miles further down CR 3550.

Last edited:

hogan

Re: EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: MS, Philadelphia - 10/6/2011 to 10/9/2011

down the road we can be a part of another AL/MS rally. Rally Ho and Rally On!![/QUOTE said:
Heh, thanks for the kind words. We would relish having you come down for a Rally with the Southerners. I found out too late about the other Rallies scheduled at the same time, but we were trying to accommodate those members who were committing to coming if we could find a suitable date, which we did. But we will count on seeing you down the road when we get together again. We will try to set up our next Rally for next spring.

The campground has a Passport rate of $ per night but not usable on Sat. and Sun. so I thought if we could promise them a good number of people for a week stay they might compromise and give us a good break. Worth a try.

Rally Ho!!!
Hogan Cooper

hogan

Hello AlaMissibamasippi Folks,
I have added a participant listing to page #1 of this thread showing everyone that has committed to our Chapter Rally in October. If you know of other Heartland Product owners or friends that would like to Rally with us, let's get them signed up; the more the merrier. We have had two new memberships join our Chapter in the last few weeks and both will be at the Rally. If I have left anyone's name off the list that has committed to coming to Rally, let me know quickly.
Hogan

Last edited:

hogan

I have just added Bob and Barbara Mansolino to our list of participants for the Chapter Rally in October. Bob and Barbara our Big Country owners and live in Hartselle, Alabama. Getting bigger and better all the time.

Hogan

Last edited:

hogan

Larry and Judy Haines from Walls, Ms. have been added to the Attendees list for the October Chapter Rally. Several of you met them at the Goshen National Rally.

Last edited:

goldenbetty

goldenbetty

Hey, all. Just found the info on the rally in Philadelphia in October. I'm going to discuss this with my DH and let you know if we can make it. Sure would be great to make our first rally.

bobbyc

Wanda and I look forward to attending the chapter rally. This will be our first but hopefully not our last.

hogan

Woo Hoo!!!! Great to hear that you and Wanda will be doing your first rally at the Inaugural Chapter Rally for Mississippi and Alabama. I plan to visit the campground in the next couple of weeks and try to negotiate a better rate for our Rally folks. So, I would advise waiting until after I return and email everyone before making your reservation.
If you look at the #1 post which shows the information about the Rally, you will see your names have been added to the Attendee list. Look forward to seeing you real soon and if you have any questions, email me. I will be emailing everyone with information soon.

Hogan Cooper
hogancooper@att.net

jbeletti

Hogan,

Nancy and I are trying to make it to the very first MS chapter rally!

We will let you know if we can make it.

Jim

hogan

Jim,

We would be honored to have you and Nancy join us for the Mississippi/Alabama Inaugural Rally. I will start searching immediately for a camel; The Tupelo Buffalo Ranch has one; not sure it's for loan. Look forward to hearing the affirmative from you. Should I post your name to the list pending your decision?

Hogan

jbeletti

Hogan,

Nancy says thanks for the camel offer but she's not fully checked out on it so she's gonna pass :)

Jim

hogan

New Site is "New Site"
The Venue for the October 6th-9th Chapter Rally for Mississippi and Alabama has been changed from Philadelphia, Ms. to Piney Grove COE campground at New Site, Ms. Please refer back to Post #1 to see the details for the Rally Location.
The campground will not be using the reservation assembly after Sept. 11th, so site selection will be up to you upon arrival at the campground. After selecting your site, you will fill out the information required on provided envelopes and put your payment (must be either cash or check-no debit or credit cards) into the envelope depositing it into the provided lockbox at the gatehouse. I will arrive on Sunday, October 2nd and will be available to assist with the check-in procedures.
Tupelo Mississippi is a short drive down the Natchez Trace parkway from the campground. The link below gives information on things to see and do in Tupelo.

http://www.tupelo.net/

Last edited:

hogan

Rally Weather-
With this long hot summer in the south, it is hard to believe that in a few short weeks, we might need a jacket. Looked at historical temps for the first week of October and was surprised to see that nighttime temperatures last year dropped into the mid to high 30's at New Site with daytime highs in the low 70's. Historical averages show daytime high of 77 and low of 51. So be prepared.

Reminder: The October 6-9 Rally will be held at Piney Grove campground near New Site, Ms. rather than Philadelphia, Ms. Go to Post #1 of this thread for details. The Attendee list is being reposted as I get confirmations from those who will be attending.

hogan

Will I have a campsite? See Post #1 for Rally Details
Some of you, especially if you are driving long distances to the Rally, may be concerned that we will not have site reservations for our Rally at Piney Grove campground near New Site, Mississippi. Although Piney Grove uses reservations with ReserveAmerica during the summer season, shortly after Labor Day, they start operating as a 1st-come, 1st serve campground using the honor system for payment. (Cash(correct) or checks only; no debit or credit cards). Historically, the campground population drops dramatically after Labor Day and during October the park is 90 percent empty. We should have no problem having enough sites available in the area near the Gazebo. If you look at the lower end (south loop) of the map on the link below, you will notice a small circle of 8 campsites in the middle of that peninsula. Those are next to the Gazebo we will be using. Just outside that circle are 30 campsites that are within a stone throw of the small circle.
There are another 20 sites in that loop that are a little farther away should we need them. We will have plenty of sites available for our group and we will be close together. The campground does close the gate at the entrance at 10pm so keep that in mind.

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/m...area=284815366&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=71356

Last edited:

hogan

Want to see this rare collector's automobile. Click on the picture to see a larger image. Better check out Post #1 on this thread to get directions.
tucker.jpg

Last edited:

Lou_and_Bette

Hogan, we have been out of town for the last week and I haven't had a chance to check the site until today, we were just on the other side of AL near Lookout Mtn, and see the change. Do we need to reconfirm we will be attending our first Heartland/RV rally ever - I did not see our names on the list anymore

Lou

hogan

Lou, great to hear from you and that you will be coming to Piney Grove campground in Northeast Mississippi. You will see that your names have been posted to the Attendees list. I am reposting the list as each person confirms that they will be there. You will also find a couple of emails that I sent you regarding the location change. Look forward to seeing you in a few weeks at the Inaugural Ms/Al Heartland Chapter Rally. If you will tell me your route to the Tupelo area, I will give you details on the best route to Piney Grove or anything else you need. email me at hogancooper@att.net

hogan

Tupelo, Miss

You are so right, Jim. Those decorative guitars are displayed all around Tupelo to show our connection to music and especially Elvis Presley.

Status
Not open for further replies.