AC Electrical voltage path

djlogan

Is there any component or device, such as a voltage conditioner or analyzer between the power cord input and the main AC electrical circuit breaker panel? If so where is it located? It's a shame that Heartland does not provide a schematic or block diagram. Other than that, Bighorn is an outstanding product!!

Northern Virginia
Right. RV power cord, transfer switch if equipped, breaker box, breaker

John

Last edited:

TedS

My transfer switch box is in the basement behind the wall. In the same area with the converter. It hums all the time shore power is connected. I guess it is a happy box or doesn't know the words.

Northern Virginia
Mine is also screwed to the basement floor behind the wall near the converter.
Just out of curiosity, what are you looking for?

djlogan

I'm trying to solve a problem - when I'm hooked up to 30 amp supply at home, I sometimes have problems getting the rig to power up. A plug analyzer will indicate hot or neutral (varies) are crossed. If I reconnect the plug to the rig, the problem usually will correct itself. I'm trying to troubleshoot th problem. I suspect th rig plug itself, but in the absence of schematics, I want to know if it maybe something else. I do not think I have generator prep, but I did find a device, about 1 1/2" squre labeled "KIB# DTM 904-2. High side driver. Don't know what it is fo sure. Think it is power related, though.

Northern Virginia
IF it only happens when you are hooked up to 30A at home, I would start with the 30A receptacle and plug adapters, not the internal camper wiring.

Because the 50 amp (#6 AWG) camper cord can handle the amperage drawn by the camper but the smaller 30 amp power cord and or adapters and 30 amp plug cannot, I would hazard a guess that it has partially melted or deteriorated the wiring at that point. The adapters and "dog bone" reducers are notorious for that.

Your camper cord can handle 12,000 watts safely. A 30 amp cord can only handle 3,600 watts. Start at the first bottleneck and you'll probably find your short.

Good luck,
John